Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
A Collection of Understanding Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:36 pm
Bastemhet

Do you have an online source you can point me to that would break it down including etymology? This would mean that the way KO defines monolatry is incorrect.
I wrote this a while ago. I'll have to see if I still have the books I was using.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:25 pm
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

Do you have an online source you can point me to that would break it down including etymology? This would mean that the way KO defines monolatry is incorrect.
I wrote this a while ago. I'll have to see if I still have the books I was using.

Actually I found something that helped a lot.

Based on the descriptions I'd say the Egyptian religion was henotheistic in that there was a supreme state and/or nome god, and all gods were considered worthy of worship even though people from a certain nome might worship one god as their supreme god, and then perhaps have a family god as well. That doesn't necessitate that there be an overarching god with other gods existing as its facets, however, and I'd say this wasn't the case in Egypt- though it's easy to make that mistake when you don't understand how syncretism works.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:19 am
That's kinda what I was thinking.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:27 pm
TeaDidikai

Yup, and I see that you modified it so that it doesn't just apply to facets. Thanks for that. I was going to ask that you do so to include other meanings of the word, because I don't want someone to come in and see that henotheism is just one god with facets, then cite it as proof "because if TeaDidikai said so it must be true!" xd The word is damn confusing as it is. I just wish I had a better source than about.com. gonk  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:49 pm
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai

Yup, and I see that you modified it so that it doesn't just apply to facets. Thanks for that. I was going to ask that you do so to include other meanings of the word, because I don't want someone to come in and see that henotheism is just one god with facets, then cite it as proof "because if TeaDidikai said so it must be true!" xd The word is damn confusing as it is. I just wish I had a better source than about.com. gonk
I made that change over a year ago. confused

Müller, the guy who coined the term Henotheism specifically created it to be akin to what might also be called "monarchical polytheism", hence the definition listed on the opening page.

Hence why henotheism may be viewed as an overarching concept, but that allows for Soft Polytheistic, monarchical polytheistic, kathenotheistic and monolatry.

I'd argue that since it was coined to address a certain perspective, that it is a correct definition- with additional definitions being better covered by other concepts such as soft polytheism.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:50 pm
Polytheistic Monism sounds like it fits for me.  

aoijea23487

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:54 pm
Illiezeulette
Polytheistic Monism sounds like it fits for me.
Seems to fit most people around here.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:55 pm
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai

I made that change over a year ago. confused

Müller, the guy who coined the term Henotheism specifically created it to be akin to what might also be called "monarchical polytheism", hence the definition listed on the opening page.

Hence why henotheism may be viewed as an overarching concept, but that allows for Soft Polytheistic, monarchical polytheistic, kathenotheistic and monolatry.

I'd argue that since it was coined to address a certain perspective, that it is a correct definition- with additional definitions being better covered by other concepts such as soft polytheism.

eek

I could've sworn it didn't include "or rules" when I read it last night. I guess I misremembered?  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:58 pm
Bastemhet

eek

I could've sworn it didn't include "or rules" when I read it last night. I guess I misremembered?
Unless a Crew Member did it when I wasn't looking, but it looks identical to what I have had there for ages.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff