• Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:52 pm
Shadow__Dweller
-Resurrected Writer-
For stuff that is really, really bleak:

Franz Kafka (Favorite: Metamorphosis)
William S. Burroughs (Favorite: Naked Lunch)
Edgar Allen Poe (Favorite: Mesmeric Revelations)

@Shadow_Dweller: Not me xp

Most girls like Twilight lol. I've read 3 out of the 4 books, and they somehow captivated me so I coldn't put thebook down, but if I take a while to think about them, they're pretty cheesy with not much substance.

i coundn't put the book down ether

+ i read also Sookie Stackhouse(well one so far but i bougth the rest)
+reading right now In the Forest Of The Night  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:54 pm
Patricia Briggs
Anne Bishop
Jeaniene Frost
Holly Black
Melissa Marr
Jim Butcher

These are the authors of Modern Fantasy I've been reading (Excluding Anne Bishop, who is always on all of my favorite authors lists. Regardless)  

Storm Daughter

Distinct Prophet

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:43 am
Storm Daughter
Patricia Briggs
Anne Bishop
Jeaniene Frost
Holly Black
Melissa Marr
Jim Butcher

These are the authors of Modern Fantasy I've been reading (Excluding Anne Bishop, who is always on all of my favorite authors lists. Regardless)

I like modern fantasy/horror. I've only ever heard of Patricia Briggs an dJim Butcher from your list though. I didn't really like Jim Butcher...I just thought the language was very...I dunno...it seemed like a Teenage book rather than an adult book. They made a TV series out of his books though, dunno if you have seen it.
You should try the Nightside series by Simon R Green and the Felix Castor novels by Mike Carey. I think they are very similar to Jim Butcher's novels.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:26 am
Shadow__Dweller
Storm Daughter
Patricia Briggs
Anne Bishop
Jeaniene Frost
Holly Black
Melissa Marr
Jim Butcher

I like modern fantasy/horror. I've only ever heard of Patricia Briggs an dJim Butcher from your list though. I didn't really like Jim Butcher...I just thought the language was very...I dunno...it seemed like a Teenage book rather than an adult book. They made a TV series out of his books though, dunno if you have seen it.
You should try the Nightside series by Simon R Green and the Felix Castor novels by Mike Carey. I think they are very similar to Jim Butcher's novels.

I agree that his writing is very... concise, but I rather like it. It just means I can read his books faster.

Thanks, I'll check those out. And you should read Anne Bishops Black Jewels books. They're fantastic, and very... adult.  

Storm Daughter

Distinct Prophet

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:17 am
Storm Daughter
Shadow__Dweller
Storm Daughter
Patricia Briggs
Anne Bishop
Jeaniene Frost
Holly Black
Melissa Marr
Jim Butcher

I agree that his writing is very... concise, but I rather like it. It just means I can read his books faster.

Thanks, I'll check those out. And you should read Anne Bishops Black Jewels books. They're fantastic, and very... adult.

Yes his books would be good for a quick read.

I shall check them out!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:00 am
For something a bit lighter I just finished reading Marley and Me, the (real) story of a young couple that buy a young puppy who turns out to be rather..uh, less well behaved than they exoected. Very sweet and sad in places, especially the inevitable ending cry

Kalvaya

redtearsblackwings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 am
I really liked Anne Rice's books.
L.J. Smith wrote some really good books, The Night World serise were great and The Vampire Diaries were really good.
On a Non-fiction note I'm reading Goth Craft by Raven Digites and I'm really enjoying it.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:49 pm
@redtears: Goth Craft is a fabulous book and Raven Digitalis is one of the sweetest people in the world. Add him on facebook!

My favorite dark fiction is by Clive Barker, and H.P Lovecraft. Clive Barker's seductive sense of the macabre is a chilling favorite. I'm in love with the Books of Blood and I read them constantly. H.P Lovecraft's stories never cease to fill me with chills. Highly recommended reading.  

Esoteric Order of Dagon

Eleftherios

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:03 pm
I personally like the Demonata series by Darren Shan. They're more of a teen book though, so you may not be interested.  
*The Hall of Diversity*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff