Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
~Tea~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 37 38 39 40 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:08 am
Ultramarine Violet
Just an update:

Thanks to a good friend of mine, I have experienced real tea through one of our local tea rooms (!!!) and was eve impressed enough by a blend to buy a few oz. and take it home. They over-brew a little, but they've got the right idea, and I'm thinking about buying some tea paraphernalia from there.
Good. The more people who enjoy good tea the better.
Quote:

The blend that I purchased is called 'Fifth of November', what they called a 'gunpowder black' (does this indicate something about the roasting process?) that's smoky and dry on the tongue, but there's a rich berry note that follows, especially after the third or fourth steeping, and it's... Yummy. 4laugh

Gunpowder is how they roll the tea into tiny pellets (as opposed to pearls, bricks, cakes etc). Usually it's a green tea, the pellet-shape helps protect the leave from oxidization.

Quote:

Another remarkable tea I tried was a rolled jasmine green they called 'Dragon Tears' that smelled like you fell into a patch of honeysuckle, though it tasted much more mellow. Made me think of summer. 3nodding
Sounds divine.
Quote:

Also, @Tea - I actually haven't fiddled with matcha at this stage of my tea growth... Just interested in the process. And it looks like there's matcha, bowls, and whisks available at the tea room... It's also on the menu, but I get the feeling that with its higher surface area, matcha would be more affected by over brewing than other teas. So I wasn't sure if I should try it there, or get detailed instructions and work at it on my own. What's your suggestion?

Making Matcha correctly so it doesn't taste like a** is difficult- people can spend a good decade practicing in the different Japanese Chado schools before they even consider hosting a Tea ceremony because of how easy it is to mess up.

The Master I studied under was in school for seven years- and I'm still working on my technique.

I think it's fun to try, but then, I love tea and invest a fair bit of my money and free time in it's pursuit.

My first suggestion would be to try it at their place, but before you do, ask to see their matcha.

It should look like this: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Not This: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The first one is for drinking. The second one is for cooking... maybe. Note the color and texture. Brighter is better, finer is better.

Even the best matcha is bitter- so be prepared for that. The Japanese serve sweets with the matcha during Chado for that very reason.

So my recommendation is to try it somewhere else first, make sure they have a good quality of matcha and get an idea if you like it or not.

If not, skip buying all the equipment. If you do like it, I can make suggestions from there.

Quote:
Also: Thank you for corrupting me! heart
twisted Always happy to corrupt people in the name of good tea.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 am
TeaDidikai
Earl Grey is a tea, not a tisane.
Black teas (including most Earl Greys) and tisanes steep at a higher temperature than other kinds of tea- so it is important to make sure you keep the heat up.

Pre-heating your tea pot with hot water and keeping a lid on the pot are two good ways to do this and I use both of them myself.

I shall continue to sabotage her attempts at making tea by improving the taste in this manner, then. ninja

All it takes is a timely distraction, after all..

And man! gonk Just when I thought I had that tea/tisane thing figured out. emo Oh, well. XD I'll get it right one day..

Thanks for the info, though! I figured it'd be the same here as in the primitive cooking class I attended back in May which spoke of the necessity of keeping the heat in. 3nodding  

Maze

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:12 am
Maze

I shall continue to sabotage her attempts at making tea by improving the taste in this manner, then. ninja

All it takes is a timely distraction, after all..
twisted

Quote:
And man! gonk Just when I thought I had that tea/tisane thing figured out. emo Oh, well. XD I'll get it right one day..

Are you in the US?

Quote:
Thanks for the info, though! I figured it'd be the same here as in the primitive cooking class I attended back in May which spoke of the necessity of keeping the heat in. 3nodding
Pretty much. Remember proper water temp for these things is measured within ten degrees.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:40 am
TeaDidikai
Maze

Are you in the US?

Not usually, no.

I intend to be next May, but that's for the second leg of the survival course, and possibly the advanced awareness class. We'll see how it goes with the new job, though.

Quote:
Quote:
Pretty much. Remember proper water temp for these things is measured within ten degrees.

She has a water cooker she uses religiously. I'm reliant on its ability to boil the water, but after that, I just put something on top of the tea-pot/glass-thing to prevent the steam from getting out.

I figure it'd be too obvious if I wrapped it in aluminum foil..  

Maze

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:37 pm
Ultramarine Violet
Just an update:

Thanks to a good friend of mine, I have experienced real tea through one of our local tea rooms (!!!) and was eve impressed enough by a blend to buy a few oz. and take it home. They over-brew a little, but they've got the right idea, and I'm thinking about buying some tea paraphernalia from there.

The blend that I purchased is called 'Fifth of November', what they called a 'gunpowder black' (does this indicate something about the roasting process?) that's smoky and dry on the tongue, but there's a rich berry note that follows, especially after the third or fourth steeping, and it's... Yummy. 4laugh

Another remarkable tea I tried was a rolled jasmine green they called 'Dragon Tears' that smelled like you fell into a patch of honeysuckle, though it tasted much more mellow. Made me think of summer. 3nodding

GASP! were you at the London Tea Room?? because their Fifth of November is my absolute favorite tea and I miss it like burning ever since I moved away. D:
I also recommend the Queen of Hearts and Iron Goddess of Mercy. And the Keemun. And the scones with devonshire cream. And the brie and apple sandwich.
I'm going to cry sad tears now while I drink my gunpowder green and reminisce.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:00 pm
AvalonAuggie
GASP! were you at the London Tea Room?? *snip*
Aww, don't cry sad tears, Augs!

It was the London Tea Room, as a matter of fact, and I would have tried Queen of Hearts and Iron Goddess next, but I was so waterlogged that I didn't feel I could give them the attention they deserved.

I went with Endril, actually. She said she hadn't heard from you in a while; we both hope you're getting on well. If you'd like a care package, I'm sure we could arrange something. 3nodding

Shoot one of us an fbook mail with your address, and we'll work something out, k?

EDIT @ TeaDidikai: Sorry, for some reason it's not letting me quote you. sweatdrop Thanks for the advice, I'll report back once I've tried it.  

Ultramarine Violet

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 am
Still haven't had a chance to get back to the tea room, but I think I will soon - Just thought I'd share that I had a very tea-themed Christmas 4laugh

Apparently, my sister and I have similar taste in tea - she managed to pick out several excellent black teas, a super-yummy blueberry rooibos, and a lemony green that I hoard like none other. ninja One of the black teas, labelled simply 'vanilla mint,' actually tastes like sugar cookies, as well as the tea itself, which is pleasantly mellow. Win.

I'm thinking of taking her to the tea room this spring and spreading the infection. Looking forward to some new bonding territory. Tea, you are at the root of this opportunity - thank you! heart  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:51 pm
Okay, so I know I'm probably spamming, here, but...

I recently got a job in a shop just up the hall from a Teavana - I already own some gadgets from there (see: tea-themed Christmas). Is their tea worth a look (good quality/decently priced/ethically acquired)?

Thanks!  

Ultramarine Violet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:50 am
Ultramarine Violet
Okay, so I know I'm probably spamming, here, but...

I recently got a job in a shop just up the hall from a Teavana - I already own some gadgets from there (see: tea-themed Christmas). Is their tea worth a look (good quality/decently priced/ethically acquired)?

Thanks!

I've never been impressed with their stuff personally. I'm sure it would make a fine table tea but it isn't the kind of thing I would use as a hospitality offering.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:28 pm
In case anyone is interested, I have new yixing ware. My base collection is almost complete. I keep meaning to take pictures and post them. I'll prolly do it when I've finished it off.

I'm brewing a batch of Aracha later today. It's basically unground matcha.

I also have some new books on tea. One is on the role of Zen in Chado and one is a collection of quotes about tea.  

TeaDidikai

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:21 pm
TeaDidikai
In case anyone is interested, I have new yixing ware. My base collection is almost complete. I keep meaning to take pictures and post them. I'll prolly do it when I've finished it off.

I'm brewing a batch of Aracha later today. It's basically unground matcha.

I also have some new books on tea. One is on the role of Zen in Chado and one is a collection of quotes about tea.

O_O
I might actually take a human life for yixing teaware. wow. Where on earth did you find it?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 pm
AvalonAuggie

O_O
I might actually take a human life for yixing teaware. wow. Where on earth did you find it?
There's a shop in Seattle. 3nodding  

TeaDidikai

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:56 am
I'm coming out of the woodwork to ask a question in the only place I can maybe get it answered - what's the deal with Thai tea?

My internets research only points me to "strong black tea" flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, and star anise, and possibly food coloring to create the orange tint in it. But that all makes me suspicious, because "black tea" is really vague when you get right down to it, and because unlike other spiced teas like masala chai, there seems to be no information anywhere at all on making the blend yourself. The advice is just "go to an Asian grocery and buy a box of Thai tea." Soooo helpful.

If anyone has any knowledge, I'd really appreciate it. This is driving me nuts.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:13 pm
TatteredAngel
I'm coming out of the woodwork to ask a question in the only place I can maybe get it answered - what's the deal with Thai tea?

My internets research only points me to "strong black tea" flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, and star anise, and possibly food coloring to create the orange tint in it. But that all makes me suspicious, because "black tea" is really vague when you get right down to it, and because unlike other spiced teas like masala chai, there seems to be no information anywhere at all on making the blend yourself. The advice is just "go to an Asian grocery and buy a box of Thai tea." Soooo helpful.

If anyone has any knowledge, I'd really appreciate it. This is driving me nuts.

If you're making a batch, do about 1 cup of a Keemun Black tea, a couple of the sugared tamarind candies- my Asian market sells them in clear plastic boxes. If you look closely you can tell which ones have the seeds in them, so use the ones that don't.
Add a couple black cardamom pods, an anise seed and a thumb nail of cinnamon, then 1/3 cup of amber sugar.
Heat your kettle to boil (crab eye size bubbles) then pull it off the heat and let it cool for a minute before pouring it over the tea- you'll want about 7c of water.
Stick it in the fridge, then mix in the sweetened condensed milk per serving at the table.  

TeaDidikai

WolfbaneFenrir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:00 pm
When it comes to tea, I've only ever had the bagged stuff. While it may not be very good, I've still developed certain preferences. I prefer white or red tea over green. I don't think I've ever had bluegreen tea, or many of the tea you guys have spoken about. I have had masala chai (I attempted to make my own blend with a friend), and I enjoy it immensely. As for tisanes, I don't really like them much. I think the one I liked most was an apple one, because it tasted like apple cider.

Oh yes, and I am awful when it comes to drinking hot liquids. I tend to prefer my tea iced. If it can be chilled, I'd rather have it that way.

I am very interested in trying more types of (preferably good looseleaf) tea. I'm also wondering how some of you use tea in your spiritual practices, as I've never heard of that before and it's fascinating.

ETA: I would like to know if any of you have tips on growing your own tea. I prefer to make things from scratch, and drinking my own grown tea sounds like a pleasant experience.

Also, where might I find some quality Tieguanyin?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 37 38 39 40 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff