Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Maze
Nines19
A lot of times, just knowing that such information is oathbound goes a long way towards disproving acusations of fluff.
Obviously it's not a fool-proof test or question, which is why it's often asked with a few key other points, which are not oathbound.

There were usually caps involved in a question about the weapon (I believe it was) of ether - specifically directed at people claiming to be Wicca/Wiccan/thereabouts - when Triste asked it, so I was never sure whether that was a serious question or not. XD

I think I've seen Tea use it as well, but she's naturally less excitable.

I need more health. Actually, I probably need a better diet to start with. But this mother of a cold I have right now isn't helping either, hehe.

The elemental weapon of ether is another good question, that is not oathbound, can't be googled, and all initiates should know.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:00 am

rmcdra
Maze
Nines19
A lot of times, just knowing that such information is oathbound goes a long way towards disproving acusations of fluff.
Obviously it's not a fool-proof test or question, which is why it's often asked with a few key other points, which are not oathbound.

There were usually caps involved in a question about the weapon (I believe it was) of ether - specifically directed at people claiming to be Wicca/Wiccan/thereabouts - when Triste asked it, so I was never sure whether that was a serious question or not. XD

I think I've seen Tea use it as well, but she's naturally less excitable.

I need more health. Actually, I probably need a better diet to start with. But this mother of a cold I have right now isn't helping either, hehe.

The elemental weapon of ether is another good question, that is not oathbound, can't be googled, and all initiates should know.

Yup.
Those two and the lineage question almost always tell us whether we're dealing with fluff or the real deal - as far as we can tell on the Internet, of course.

Nines19

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:17 am

whiporwill-o
can someone be an 'oathbreaker' if they have not [knowingly] made or taken any oaths?
Yep, for example, a lot of folks take oaths to YHVH at early ages.
Quote:

i have seen many people be called a liar and an oathbreaker and i get what a liar is (woo, points for me!) but what exactly is an oathbreaker?
Usually here when you see that accusation it's because the person is violating the Terms of Service they agreed to follow when they joined Gaia.

Since you actually have to tick a little box saying you have read them, not only did they lie if they didn't read it, but they are still breaking that which they gave their word to do.

Quote:
another question i have is: how can someone prove something that is oathbound without breaking an oath? this one really gets me. example: someone claims to be wiccan [or wican] and says something about their lord and lady and they are questioned as to who they believe the lord and lady to be. the names are oathbound, so how would someone go about answering it? i don't thing the answer 'i can't tell you' would fly very far, but maybe thats just me. could they tell someone who is of their faith? how would the person asking prove that they already know the answer without breaking an oath?

these are the kinds of things that keep me up at night gonk
A person making that claim may be checked via lineage. That's the usual response, though to the best of my knowledge, the Wica who commonly post in M&R haven't had their lineage verified externally by one another.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:40 am

is there a difference between an oath and an agreement?

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:54 am

maenad nuri
is there a difference between an oath and an agreement?
Agreement is the form the vow, promise or oath takes.

I think this guild has a colloquial application that attaches the value of one's word based on cultural contexts that intersect for members of this guild.

When you look up agreement, you'll find compact and concord listed within the definition. If you try looking up Oath within Merriam Webster, it directs you to promise which issues both of these as synonyms.

It's an annoyingly vague definition, but it works, especially when context is applied.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:27 pm

ooooohhhh, get it idea thank you very much biggrin

whiporwill-o

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:03 pm

whiporwill-o
ooooohhhh, get it idea thank you very much biggrin
Happy to help.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:40 pm

What is a left-hand path? How does it differ from a right-hand path?

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:49 pm

What happened to "Latcho Drom" in the Pathways sub-forum?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:09 am

rmcdra
What is a left-hand path? How does it differ from a right-hand path?

LHP vs. RHP is actually a problematic false binary and oversimplification of things. There's a lot of paths that don't fit either one and some that have elements from R and elements from L.

Which reminds me, gotta yank the L v R crap out of my pathways thread to make room for important things.

Recursive Paradox

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:29 pm

I hate you a little bit right now for causing me to read that. stressed

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:29 pm

Celeblin Galadeneryn
I hate you a little bit right now for causing me to read that. stressed
I thought that's what it was but I wanted to make sure. Sorry for any pain this caused. I seemed very counter to what I've heard Cu speak about and that was a big red flag to me.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:44 pm

rmcdra
There has never been a thread in PathWays by that name.

And Poe is right. LHP v. RHP is often an oversimplification.

There are some common themes within the application of the titles, and there are traditions that are typically ascribed to one or another, but in studying anything beyond the surface similarities within these traditions, it quickly becomes clear that a number of the commonly ascribed themes aren't universal within the traditions themselves.

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:53 pm

TeaDidikai
rmcdra
There has never been a thread in PathWays by that name.

I'm sorry it seems that I forgot the name of the thread but it was one that you had created describing your path.
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games