Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
~Tea~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zoe Cakes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 pm
TeaDidikai
Egil Skallagrimsson

Oh.

If it's not camellia sinesis or camellia assamica, it's not tea. 3nodding

Ahhhh I see. Thanks for the info!!!

I would put that "The more you know!" rainbow here, but I don't have it in my photobucket anymore.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:28 pm
AvalonAuggie
TeaDidikai

If it's not camellia sinesis or camellia assamica, it's not tea. 3nodding

Assam is considered a separate subspecies? wow.

Yep.
When you see the plants it makes a lot of sense.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:49 pm
Damnit. Two hundred dollars for a chabako set!
Why do I have to have Champagne tastes on a tap-water budget?! scream  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:52 pm
Ah... I'm sure you folks field this question often, but as I couldn't find a comprehensive list lying about...

Are there any resources you'd point a beginner to, regarding tea-making processes that have worked well for you? What types of supplies are important to look for? Thanks, and sorry if you've answered these questions in this thread... I read through several pages before posting, I promise. sweatdrop

I've been reading through here, and thinking about keeping/making/drinking/serving tea as a method to improve my general health and well-being, and possibly to enhance personal ritual work.  

Ultramarine Violet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:06 pm
Ultramarine Violet
Are there any resources you'd point a beginner to, regarding tea-making processes that have worked well for you?

I have an info-dump I wrote on the subject that is a simple beginner's approach to making a good cup of tea.

Tea's Tea Info-Dump

Tea- the Art

Tea comes in three basic forms.
Block, power and leaf.

Blocks take the form in the modern era as Pureh. They are usually medicine teas.

Powdered Tea is known as Matcha. It is a vibrant green powder that is slightly bitter and is used in the Japanese Tea Ceremony.

Leaf is what people are most used to.

The Leaf comes in two species.
Camellia sinensis and Camellia assamica.

Sinensis is found in the far east where as assamica is found in India and Western China.

Assamica has a bolder flavor and as such is great for Chai and other such flavored teas.

Sinensis has a more subtle flavor and as such I prefer to enjoy it as it is- due to the ability to taste subtle characteristics better.

There are three main styles that are made from these leaves.
White, Green and Black/Red.

White tea is tea that is picked early in the season and dried. Nothing more- nothing less.
Green tea is tea that is steamed then dried. It seals in the vibrant green color.
Black/Red tea has been fried in special woks then dried.

While all tea has antioxidants- White has more than Green. Black aids in digestion- and has been shown to actually pull oil from the digestive system, flushing it before it is absorbed. Of note- most generic “tea” you drink at your local American-Chinese restaurants are black teas.

Tea can often be bitter. There are certain teas that are meant to be- they are known as Tonic Teas.

Every other tea you buy should never be bitter when brewed. There are however a handful of common mistakes that can make it bitter.

First- the water may be too hot.
White teas are steeped at 130-140 F for about 30 seconds.
Green teas are steeped between 140-150F for about the same time. I know you wonder if five seconds can make a difference. Well, depending on the quality of the leaf- the answer is very much YES.
Black teas can steep up to a minute and the water should be between 160 and 170F.

Second- you might be over brewing. Pay close attention to the times listed above.

Third- they may be rancid. Tea can last on the shelf for about a year- year and a half on the outside. Any longer than that and I won’t drink it.

What is the difference between a Black Tea and a Red Tea?

Where you live- in Asia they are called red for the color of tea they infuse into. In the west they are called Black for the color of the leaves.

A note on quality-
Quality tea will not be flavored by anything other than they style in which it is processed.

If it is flavored- it is likely done so by one (or more) of three ways.
First- it can be cut with other plants to be infused. This is done with second grade leaves.
Second- it can be sprayed with oils. These oils go rancid faster than the natural leaves. This is done with third grade leaves.
Third- Sometimes live plants (like Jasmine) are placed over the drying leaves at night to “scent” the leaves.

But wait- there is a fourth option…
It isn’t really tea.

“What do you mean it isn’t tea!”

Tea is a plant. Most folks have heard this rant.
If it isn’t tea- it will be an Herbal Infusion.

Loose leaf v. Tea Bags.

Loose leaf tea is going to be higher quality tea. When they sort it, only the good tea goes out as loose leaf.
Tea bags are usually made up of what doesn’t past muster. This would be the stuff tossed to the side… or commonly on the floor.

For those of you who said I was being sarcastic when I called tea bags floor sweepings- I wasn’t.

The perfect leaf-

The perfect tealeaf appears small at first- but during infusion it “opens up”. It also sinks to the bottom of the container. If your tea floats- toss it out. Lastly- unless it is a tonic, and there is no other explanation for why it is bitter- it’s because it’s old.

If we want to get into the more complex stuff, I have recommendations based on cultural tea ceremonies including Chinese- both Tiwan and the more rural styles, Japenese Chado and Japanese Sencha, Turkish, Morroccan, Russian and Roma.

Quote:
What types of supplies are important to look for?
At it's most basic, all you need is a cup and a way to boil water.

Each tea culture has special utensils. If you want to know more about those, specify and I'll put something together.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:18 pm
I need to rewrite that.  

TeaDidikai

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:37 pm
Thank you so much, Tea! heart

My fiancee and I truly appreciate the info. We're both quite interested in the Japanese styles, though up to this point, I've been totally ignorant of ceremonial or traditional tea preparation methods outside of China and Japan. sweatdrop I'm somewhat curious about the Russian style, too, to be honest.

Can you recommend a good online source for quality tea?

Thanks for your time and help! I'm off to comb the thread for links - I think I remember seeing some, maybe I'll start looking around there - and to research industry standards of leaf grade.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:09 pm
Welcome.

Ultramarine Violet
We're both quite interested in the Japanese styles,
Chado, Sencha or something else?

Quote:
I'm somewhat curious about the Russian style, too, to be honest.

Russian Tea is made in a two step process. Very strong tea is brewed first. Next, they pour it into person's glass which is held with a podstakannik. It's a metal base with a handle. The tea is the blended with hot water and other things to taste. Usually it's sugar, lemon or jam.

The strength of the tea is a sign of the host's hospitality.

The tea used is typically a large leaf black, sometiumes it is scented, often it's smoked.

The water was heated in a samavor. I usually equate them with the furo/kama combo.

I used to have a Lomonosov cup. It got broken. I was depressed for days.

Quote:

The places I buy my tea do online ordering.
Tea Lady is where I pick up my "table tea".

Perennial Tea Room is where I used to get my tea for spiritual use. I don't think they carry Natela Gold Standard anymore- but I have a stash I am very protective of.

Floating Leaves is where I get my tea for my guests.

Vital Leaf is where I get "fancy" teas. Their Blue People is a ginsing Oolong that is nothing short of Amazing.

I recommend each of these because I know the owners to one degree of another, and am comfortable with their stock rotation, quality and pricing.

I'm sure other companies are good, but there's a level of dedication and love for tea that is part of these buisnesses that makes me come back again and again.

Quote:
Thanks for your time and help! I'm off to comb the thread for links - I think I remember seeing some, maybe I'll start looking around there - and to research industry standards of leaf grade.

There's no perfect standard.
This is common enough, but expect some disagreement between tea grader's standards. While someone's not going to stake their name on mixing Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe for Orange Pekoe, there are margins.

One grade might arrive as another if it isn't properly stored and protected during transit.

If you have any questions about the shops, service styles or want recommendations, let me know.  

TeaDidikai

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:53 pm
TeaDidikai
Ultramarine Violet
We're both quite interested in the Japanese styles,
Chado, Sencha or something else?
I'm not sure, actually. sweatdrop what's the difference?
Quote:
-Snip-
I used to have a Lomonosov cup. It got broken. I was depressed for days.
crying I feel ya. There are times when I still miss my handmade, drip-glazed mug.
Quote:
Quote:
-Recommendation snip-
I recommend each of these because I know the owners to one degree of another, and am comfortable with their stock rotation, quality and pricing.

I'm sure other companies are good, but there's a level of dedication and love for tea that is part of these buisnesses that makes me come back again and again.
Thank you - I'll shop around a bit, and probably come back with more questions.

It's good to know that you're acquainted with the people and the practices - it makes me feel a lot better about buying online, which is just as well, because I wouldn't know what to look for in person (yet)!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 am
Ultramarine Violet
I'm not sure, actually. sweatdrop what's the difference?
Chado uses Matcha, Sencha uses, well, Sencha.
Chado is more Zen influenced. Sencha was influenced more by the Chinese and Japanese Intelligentsia.

Quote:
crying I feel ya. There are times when I still miss my handmade, drip-glazed mug.

It had a bit of sentimental value to it, but it was worth a pretty penny. I wish I had insured it.

Quote:
Thank you - I'll shop around a bit, and probably come back with more questions.

It's good to know that you're acquainted with the people and the practices - it makes me feel a lot better about buying online, which is just as well, because I wouldn't know what to look for in person (yet)!

Look for busy shops- that helps ensure rotation.
Ask the owners if you can examine a tea you are interested. Each kind has a different texture you want to look for- but mostly you want it to smell fresh, and the leaves should not be moist, but they should also not be so dry they suck the moisture from your hands. Break some of the leaves between your fingers by rolling them. They should have a little give and then should break apart. You don't want all of the leaves to be so dry they've lost their essential oils, but you don't want them to be so moist that they'll turn rancid too fast.

This is mostly for greens, whites and oolongs.

Black is expected to age a little, pu'erh is expected to age a lot. I'm currently aging some of my own pu'erh. I have one cake that is about five years and I have an orange aged pu'erh that is closer to ten.  

TeaDidikai

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:05 am
TeaDidikai
Chado uses Matcha, Sencha uses, well, Sencha.
Chado is more Zen influenced. Sencha was influenced more by the Chinese and Japanese Intelligentsia.
In that case, I'm pretty sure it's Chado.
Quote:
It had a bit of sentimental value to it, but it was worth a pretty penny. I wish I had insured it.
gonk Oh, that's even worse! I hadn't thought of that...
Quote:
Look for busy shops- that helps ensure rotation.
Ask the owners if you can examine a tea you are interested. Each kind has a different texture you want to look for- but mostly you want it to smell fresh, and the leaves should not be moist, but they should also not be so dry they suck the moisture from your hands. Break some of the leaves between your fingers by rolling them. They should have a little give and then should break apart. You don't want all of the leaves to be so dry they've lost their essential oils, but you don't want them to be so moist that they'll turn rancid too fast.

This is mostly for greens, whites and oolongs.

Black is expected to age a little, pu'erh is expected to age a lot. I'm currently aging some of my own pu'erh. I have one cake that is about five years and I have an orange aged pu'erh that is closer to ten.
That makes a lot of sense. Also, I've noticed some black tea bricks available for sale. I'd think that this would make it difficult to measure, at least.

Are there any benefits to the bricks?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:36 am
Ultramarine Violet
In that case, I'm pretty sure it's Chado.
Have you been whisking Matcha?

Quote:
That makes a lot of sense. Also, I've noticed some black tea bricks available for sale. I'd think that this would make it difficult to measure, at least.

Are there any benefits to the bricks?

Bricks are usually expected to age. The advantage they have is that they are easy to transport and they take longer to oxidize.

Most of the brick and cake formed tea these days is pu'erh though.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:53 pm
Quick question since the thread is up here now anyway, but I had a discussion the other day with my mother, and she keeps scolding me for putting something over the tea(herbal infusion)-pot whenever it's brewing.

Should you, or should you not cover the pot when it's brewing? I seem to recall something about the steam needing to be kept in, but this is not sufficient reason for me to drive my mother batty, apparently.

Is it an 'up to you' sort of thing or does the steam actually enhance the strength of the herbal infusion/tea?

For that matter, is that even important when she's only got Earl Grey by Pickwick?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:39 am
Maze
Quick question since the thread is up here now anyway, but I had a discussion the other day with my mother, and she keeps scolding me for putting something over the tea(herbal infusion)-pot whenever it's brewing.

Should you, or should you not cover the pot when it's brewing? I seem to recall something about the steam needing to be kept in, but this is not sufficient reason for me to drive my mother batty, apparently.

Is it an 'up to you' sort of thing or does the steam actually enhance the strength of the herbal infusion/tea?

For that matter, is that even important when she's only got Earl Grey by Pickwick?

Earl Grey is a tea, not a tisane.
Black teas (including most Earl Greys) and tisanes steep at a higher temperature than other kinds of tea- so it is important to make sure you keep the heat up.

Pre-heating your tea pot with hot water and keeping a lid on the pot are two good ways to do this and I use both of them myself.  

TeaDidikai

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:53 am
Just an update:

Thanks to a good friend of mine, I have experienced real tea through one of our local tea rooms (!!!) and was eve impressed enough by a blend to buy a few oz. and take it home. They over-brew a little, but they've got the right idea, and I'm thinking about buying some tea paraphernalia from there.

The blend that I purchased is called 'Fifth of November', what they called a 'gunpowder black' (does this indicate something about the roasting process?) that's smoky and dry on the tongue, but there's a rich berry note that follows, especially after the third or fourth steeping, and it's... Yummy. 4laugh

Another remarkable tea I tried was a rolled jasmine green they called 'Dragon Tears' that smelled like you fell into a patch of honeysuckle, though it tasted much more mellow. Made me think of summer. 3nodding

Also, @Tea - I actually haven't fiddled with matcha at this stage of my tea growth... Just interested in the process. And it looks like there's matcha, bowls, and whisks available at the tea room... It's also on the menu, but I get the feeling that with its higher surface area, matcha would be more affected by over brewing than other teas. So I wasn't sure if I should try it there, or get detailed instructions and work at it on my own. What's your suggestion?

Also: Thank you for corrupting me! heart  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces