Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:31 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist
TeaDidikai
Someone who is issuing thoughtful blessings that may contaminate me by inflicting their concept of blessing on me in place of my path's concept of blessing, while trying to be "thoughtful" is still being thoughtless- in that they are ignoring my tradition in favor of their own in a way that is detrimental to me.

Why would it contaminate you, if you don't mind my asking?
The instance I recall off the top of my head is far too personal to discuss.

Think of it this way. Someone walks up to a solider who is oathed to Odin and seeks to die on the battle field. Said someone wishes them "peace". Sure, peace might be an amazing thing, but in short, it's sending that person to Hel.

OK. I can see why that would be an issue.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:35 pm
River_Moonwolf
My problem is this: while reclaiming various words, beliefs, traditions, etc. is a good and wonderful thing, and enlightening others on how certain words are considered slurs, just where does one draw the line? Isn't there a point at which we should just shrug and say "ok, looks like either the world's moved on on this one or the word/meaning what have you have evolved?"

I draw the line, especially when it comes to slurs, somewhere between reason and the right to self determination.
Quote:
No offense, Tea, truly, but if someone wishes to use a blessing and it's what they were taught, with no ill/harmful will meant isn't it better to just let it go, or is this something really worth the struggle?

This touched a nerve. It wasn't intended to, but it has given a venue for addressing some things I have been thinking a lot about lately.

There is fundamentally a difference between adaptation and assimilation. I'll use myself as an example. I work and socialize with a lot of folks who do not maintain the kinds of purity standards I do. I have adapted my lifestyle so that I can participate within external cultures in a way that preserves my own culture.

What you're asking for isn't adaptation. It's assimilation. Your position would ask me to sacrifice my traditions in order to conform to yours. Why? The only reason one would expect someone to give up something that means a great deal to them but costs you nothing to allow is that you do not value me as you value yourself. My culture, my standards, isn't deserving of the respect yours is because I'm not like you.

This core difference in attitudes- the difference between adaptation and assimilation, is the difference between Privilege and Thoughtfulness. Between treating another with basic civility and not.

This does not entitle me to be thoughtless however. I am called to the same standards, and should be as thoughtful as I expect others.

Hey Nuri?! Where's that Elephant in the Room Thread?  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:18 pm
TeaDidikai

The same place as the reading list, my pathways topic, the stuff for deo, and my for fun reading: Hiding behind the sheer terror that is my workshop, and my stifling work schedule and trying to keep my husband sane during field-based teaching.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:31 pm
Thank you all for your responses - I'd like to think I've learned something here smile . Again, my apologies, didn't mean to touch off any nerves, I simply wanted a better understanding. Seems I still have a quite a ways to go before I' where I'd like to be.

RM  

River_Moonwolf

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:38 pm
So, what about telling someone "Good Luck"?

Also, it always bothers me when I work really hard on something for a long time at work, and when I finish I get "Praise God you're finished!"  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:49 pm
AniMajor

Personally I find that acceptable, even though I'm disinclined to believe in "luck".

AniMajor
Also, it always bothers me when I work really hard on something for a long time at work, and when I finish I get "Praise God you're finished!"

>.< Even worshiping that god I'd feel uncomfortable with someone telling me that. "God didn't finish it, I did."
I've been uncomfortable with even saying "God bless you" for years, especially now that a lot of the people I'd probably say it to don't really worship that or any god.  

Nines19

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:57 pm
AniMajor

Me as well. Give not my credit to Him. Of course, it is in line with the belief that everything that we are able to accomplish is only through His Grace.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:51 pm
maenad nuri
TeaDidikai

The same place as the reading list, my pathways topic, the stuff for deo, and my for fun reading: Hiding behind the sheer terror that is my workshop, and my stifling work schedule and trying to keep my husband sane during field-based teaching.
Fair enough.

AniMajor
This is tricky. I tend to ask for wishes of good luck when I need them from other folks myself. By asking and providing context, I can eliminate some of the variables that might lead to uncleanliness.

As a general rule, I offer wishes of good luck in English for certain situations, and I use Rroma specific terms for other situations.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:05 am
AniMajor

It's risky. There are some paths that regard it as insulting because of high stock placed on personal control of a situation.

Etherism edges that way, but I personally don't find it insulting. When I engage in probability pushing (shifting small events and occurrences with very light touches here and there to take advantage of naturally occurring patterns in such a way that I can coast easily through a situation because I found that sweet spot in the flow of events and time.) I call it "luck mining" in jest.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:07 am
maenad nuri
TeaDidikai

When you get that thread up could you let me know? I'm writing a s**t ton about privilege, ally behavior, marginalization, systemic oppression and other related topics in my transfeminist blog and I'd like to compare notes. In case you want to look over the stuff I already have: Linky  

Recursive Paradox

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:07 am
Nines19

>.< Even worshiping that god I'd feel uncomfortable with someone telling me that. "God didn't finish it, I did."
I've been uncomfortable with even saying "God bless you" for years, especially now that a lot of the people I'd probably say it to don't really worship that or any god.

Yeah I recognized at an early age that not everyone worshiped YHVH and started to become uncomfortable saying "God bless you" at that point. But growing up, I'd get fussed at for not saying it. I started just saying "Bless you" since it was generic enough to show concern for a sneeze without saying who's doing the blessing.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:20 am
Recursive Paradox
maenad nuri
TeaDidikai

When you get that thread up could you let me know? I'm writing a s**t ton about privilege, ally behavior, marginalization, systemic oppression and other related topics in my transfeminist blog and I'd like to compare notes. In case you want to look over the stuff I already have: Linky

Already had you on my Reader smile  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:25 am
rmcdra

Yeah I recognized at an early age that not everyone worshiped YHVH and started to become uncomfortable saying "God bless you" at that point. But growing up, I'd get fussed at for not saying it. I started just saying "Bless you" since it was generic enough to show concern for a sneeze without saying who's doing the blessing.
I say Gesundheit myself. Do it when people cough as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:56 am
rmcdra
Nines19

I had never consistently said 'God bless you,' but rather 'bless you.' After I became more certain in my beliefs, I became uncomfortable saying it, as it is perceived by those who hear to be referencing YHVH and I cannot pretend as if I mean another when I know how it will be interpreted and I fail to clarify. However, I was also uncomfortable not saying it as it is considered polite and I try to act in such a manner. As it stands, I generally do say it.  

Aino Ailill

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:10 am
Aino Ailill
rmcdra
Nines19

I had never consistently said 'God bless you,' but rather 'bless you.' After I became more certain in my beliefs, I became uncomfortable saying it, as it is perceived by those who hear to be referencing YHVH and I cannot pretend as if I mean another when I know how it will be interpreted and I fail to clarify. However, I was also uncomfortable not saying it as it is considered polite and I try to act in such a manner. As it stands, I generally do say it.
Any reason you don't use a more secular substitute?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games