Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Conversion Corner (Big and Small) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vahn Blackfeather

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:58 am
i have made three small, but cool conversions to my army.

conversion one: Emperor's CHapion to Chaos Leuenant

All i did was add a gree stuf horn to the shoulder pad, give the guy gargoyle wings, an aspiring champion's power fist, and some horns from a chaos space marine:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/demonoft/DSC00771.jpg

Conversion two: Imperial Dreadnought to Chaos Dreadnought
What I did:
broke the front plating in two and made a patch of green stuff to look like mutation, where I then stuck a chaos space marine head. I put a guardsman eviscerated on the base and another in the close-combat weapon making a last-dich effort to bring the dread down.
pics:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/demonoft/DSC00761.jpg
evicserated:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/demonoft/DSC00762.jpg

Conversion three: Space Marine tactical Squad to Chos Space Marines
what I did: used green stuff to give the squad scarfs and loin cloths. Mostly its thier story that mkaes them chaotic. oh, and yes, the previously showed dreadnought belongs to them.
picture of unit's aspiring champion:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/demonoft/DSC00767.jpg

those are my army's three amin conversions  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:50 am
gonk please thin your paints and do the detail properly. The paint is so thick on those, it looks like you dunked them in a pot, then sneezed a second color on them.  

Ophiuchus

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:26 am
Ophiuchus
gonk please thin your paints and do the detail properly. The paint is so thick on those, it looks like you dunked them in a pot, then sneezed a second color on them.

Thankyou.
Seriously.

I didn't know if I was allowed to give negative comments. If you can't say anything nice, and all that. I'd probably get reported for flaming as well.

As someone respected in this guild, I'll accept you as a role model.

Okay.

Vahn.
Please paint. I'm not asking that you paint to Golden Daemon standard, but for everything Holy, can you please make it look like there's some effort? I'll assume you're 13 or so, because you're in Grade 9. How do I know this? I read your profile to see how old you were, because if you were over 16 I'd have just laughed at your efforts to paint. Your date of birth wasn't in, so I checked your journal, and thankfully, your romantic situation helped me determine your age.

But yes, I agree with Ophi.

The sad part is, these aren't the worst models I've ever seen. Some people at my Warhammer club consider green flock a paint.
gonk

-Mykal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:28 pm
geez, you guys are tough. and what do you mean "do the detail properly"?

edit: perhaps instead o being a jerk, as you so matter-of-factly imply, oh seemingly powerful one, perhaps you could actually give me ADVICE on how to paint "actual" detail with effort? Because obviously I don't put effort into painting my army. Oh, and because I'm 13 im inferior...pft.

Seriously, could you give me some tips though so I can come back and not be bashed?  

Vahn Blackfeather

Ophiuchus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:56 pm
Vahn Blackfeather

edit: perhaps instead o being a jerk, as you so matter-of-factly imply, oh seemingly powerful one, perhaps you could actually give me ADVICE on how to paint "actual" detail with effort? Because obviously I don't put effort into painting my army. Oh, and because I'm 13 im inferior...pft.

Seriously, could you give me some tips though so I can come back and not be bashed?
There's a difference between being a jerk, and constructive criticism.
If I wanted to be a jerk,, i'd say your models look like they're painted by a blind, spasticated child, and the details were done with all the grace of a monkey with diarrhoea. neutral

Instead, I said your paint was thick and you need to do the detail properly.
Now, i'll leave thinning the paint up to you - it's a simple enough command.
What I meant by doing the detail properly is... Like on the knees, you've done a random... blob. The model has lines on it to represent the deep greaves on the armor. If you're going to paint a section a specific color, carefully go right up to that line.
The same for eyes. Space Marine helmets have a TINY oval shape for eyes. Get yourself a FINE detail brush, because even a detail brush is too big and clumsy for doing that job properly until you get experience... Instead of just doing a dash of color, make sure you fill that tiny oval shape with the relevant color, without it leaking out to the helmet. The eyes are meant to be "sunken" in the Helmet.
In reference to the first model in particular, When painting gore, do not just thickly paint on a single color. That isn't what gore looks like. Very quickly paint on a dark color like red gore, with quick successive strokes in the direction away from impact, so it looks like the blood has sprayed aganst the weapon or arm. Then, with blood red, drybrush in the same diretion with less distance (Drybrushing meaning get the color on your brush, but wipe most off against your mixing pallete before the brush touches the model) - the same method on that dread would help.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:59 pm
also i great way to make a diff is priming your guys.... that can really make diff when painting models.  

lightandshadow13

Ophiuchus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:02 am
lightandshadow13
also i great way to make a diff is priming your guys.... that can really make diff when painting models.
We assume that EVERYONE undercoats their models beforehand. To paint without a prime is sheer stupidity.
Personally, reguardless of what i'm painting, I start with black. If i'm only painting a thin layer of a single color (such as for the little screen on an auspex), it'll show up much darker, which suits the 40k style.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:06 am
Ophiuchus
Vahn Blackfeather

There's a difference between being a jerk, and constructive criticism.
If I wanted to be a jerk,, i'd say your models look like they're painted by a blind, spasticated child, and the details were done with all the grace of a monkey with diarrhoea. neutral

Instead, I said your paint was thick and you need to do the detail properly.
Now, i'll leave thinning the paint up to you - it's a simple enough command.
What I meant by doing the detail properly is... Like on the knees, you've done a random... blob. The model has lines on it to represent the deep greaves on the armor. If you're going to paint a section a specific color, carefully go right up to that line.
The same for eyes. Space Marine helmets have a TINY oval shape for eyes. Get yourself a FINE detail brush, because even a detail brush is too big and clumsy for doing that job properly until you get experience... Instead of just doing a dash of color, make sure you fill that tiny oval shape with the relevant color, without it leaking out to the helmet. The eyes are meant to be "sunken" in the Helmet.
In reference to the first model in particular, When painting gore, do not just thickly paint on a single color. That isn't what gore looks like. Very quickly paint on a dark color like red gore, with quick successive strokes in the direction away from impact, so it looks like the blood has sprayed aganst the weapon or arm. Then, with blood red, drybrush in the same diretion with less distance (Drybrushing meaning get the color on your brush, but wipe most off against your mixing pallete before the brush touches the model) - the same method on that dread would help.

thanks. I cooled down now. Sorry for before...those are some good tips. OS mostly just redo the eyes, knees, and gore?

edit: however, the evicserated guy is suppsoed to have been dead for a while...so thats why theres a puddle. It didnt really spry...but ill take your advice and redo it anyways.  

Vahn Blackfeather

Ophiuchus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:13 am
ooh, additional tip for gore. Buy a chestnut ink and apply it over the effected area (the area you painted red) It'll dry shiny, making the blood look wet.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:16 am
Ophiuchus
ooh, additional tip for gore. Buy a chestnut ink and apply it over the effected area (the area you painted red) It'll dry shiny, making the blood look wet.

thanks. So was the Gore in reference to the dreadnought?
Do oyu have anything that I could do to improve the last model there, besides painting the ammo pouches?(im wating for our local shop to get some bestial brown in stock)  

Vahn Blackfeather

Ophiuchus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:44 am
for the pouches, i'd actually suggest you drybrush them with a lighter color to make it look like it's material. My choice for that is... Desert Yellow drybrush on Graveyard Earth. It looks pretty good.
As for suggestions...
Once again, thin the paint. Models are made with detail, but it doesn't show up if you put too much paint on.
Don't use so much Gold paint. That stuff is good for details, but it looks wrong. Plus, you're chaos. You're not meant to be spiffingly shiny. Boltgun metal with chestnut ink on it looks suitably rusty. Even then, limit it... Shiny paint does not a good model make, hmmm?
And from the looks of things, you didn't paint the eyes on that guy. Definitely put those in.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:09 am
also if you want bright chaos armour, prime it ,ink it , highit it it with codex grey then pure seal it. turns out really nice biggrin  

lightandshadow13

Vahn Blackfeather

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:27 am
well...its supposed to define him..but what was that? boltgun metal and chestnut ink...k, ill hafta pick some chestnut ink up then. I did do the eyes, but they;re hard to see...Ill do it again ayways though. My paint is pretty thin anyways.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:30 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Vahn Blackfeather

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:53 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games