Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:19 am
rmcdra
What is the difference between a living tradition and eclecticism?
I'd usually suggest a combination of intent and methodology.

Living traditions in essence reflect the influence of culture and personal understandings of the community that celebrates it.

Eclecticism is basically a function of "Oooh! Shiny!" Which isn't always a bad thing, but it isn't organic either.

For example- I have a collection of symbols in my tradition. More than half of them seem to come from Rroma folklore. A smaller group seem to be from the regions my ancestors lived in before they came to the US. A still smaller grouping are from unknown/unidentifiable origin.

When you adapt to elements in a surrounding culture, that's not about being eclectic, it's about working with what is in front of you. When you import things from cultures you aren't participating in because they sound cool/work etc- that's eclecticism.

Asahi Sara

Can a thoughtform be a place or object as well as an entity?
Yep. In fact, there are whole realms in my friend's tradition. Likewise, the objects he created for these realms are thoughtforms as well. He uses them as meditation tools.

Quote:
If you believed an entire other world exists for example, by virtue of the fact that you believe in it or that you and a group of people do, does that make it a thoughtform world?
Not always.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:01 am
Thought I'd embark on my maiden voyage with a stupid question!

I've heard all this business about "Real Wicca" being oathbound and lineaged and mysterious and what-have-you. I have no problems or concerns with that, in and of itself - who am I to object? C'mon. Wicca is big, and I am little.

But does that mean that anyone who feels drawn to Wicca, and was not lucky enough to be born into or geographically/socially near it is just up s**t creek, with nary a paddle in sight? If so, wtf? And if not, what avenues are open to such a person?

Also, this isn't a question, really... but a lot of the links in the link list are dead. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anything I can do to help fix it?  

Ultramarine Violet

Nines19

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:31 am
rmcdra
sabaku-okami

If you want to warp a religion to your will try a mono god religion lol.

I feel confident you meant this in jest but this comment just struck me wrong. I've had to warp my will to better serve my God more times than I can count.

Three words: Oh hell yes.

Though I would say that the Abrahamic God isn't the only one worshiped independent of others (and thus s/he may have meant a different one), but that might be my monolateralism showing.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:37 am
Maze

I think I know someone who knows Reiki.. Been a while since I talked to her. Reiki uses symbols that I can ask really annoying questions about, I think! That'll be fun. :3
Remember to check lineage. And if you're hitting SummerStar, I'll be there. wink  

TeaDidikai

bigdickpenny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:22 am
Asahi Sara
sabaku-okami
Asahi Sara
Deoridhe
Asahi Sara
What of elves, is there a point where a word falls into generic enough use not to presume that it speaks of a specific culture, or is using 'Elf' always referring to the elves in Asatru?

Slight correction - the individuals that were most likely turned into the fictional races of Elves and Dwarves were lightly the light Alfar and Swartalfar, not anything called Elves or Dwarves.

In general, I think you're struggling with the differences between mythological reality and fictional reality. They often seem to overlap and teasing them apart requires a lot of attention to detail.

I'm aware that "elf" is not the proper term in Asatru, however my question is, is calling them "elves" then not an honest way to distinct them from such? Pardon if I seem rude, I don't mean to be, I'm just horridly confused, probably for the same reasons. That said, I think for me to convert to an older tradition would be equally dishonest, because in my heart I would want to warp it to whatever I wanted it to be or to mean. I mean no disrespect towards Asaturar, I'm just trying to find my own path, and the line gets blurry around here, or perhaps it's my vision that is blurry.

Ljósálfar is the "light elf" and the Svartálfar were the "black elves" or drawfs. I've stayed true to what the poems say. Just use what ever works, that is what I have done. I just love my blood line and I take great pride in it. Asatru may be in Europe but I have their blood in me and as long as you belive in yourself and you have the heart of a nord, then in my book you are one. It doesn't matter where you live or what race you are. Its your heart that matters the most. If you want to warp a religion to your will try a mono god religion lol.

I'm not a Nord nor claiming to be, though I strongly considered converting to this religion. I'm making sure I'm not misrepresenting the norse religion, by the terms I use, which it seems more apparent that I am. I pray my beliefs are not the taking of a religion and warping it into my desires, but the making of my own.

Their is nothing wrong with being curious with it. A decent book to read is "Nordic gods and heros" If you can find that its is very nice. Try to read the edda's but its a bit rough around the edges. You're not misrepresenting, its ok to ask if something is right. Alfheim is where they lived.
As a whole its not like you have to do this that and the other. Mead, Meat and my friends have battles together on certain days. I'm quite happy. If their is anything that you want to know feel free to mail me.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:24 am
rmcdra
sabaku-okami

If you want to warp a religion to your will try a mono god religion lol.

I feel confident you meant this in jest but this comment just struck me wrong. I've had to warp my will to better serve my God more times than I can count.

Yes I was joking, It was mainly on how the cathloic chruch adds things to their book. The seven deadly sins we not in the orgional they added that in 350AD and It was eight orginaly. Then the preists can not marry.  

bigdickpenny

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:38 am
Ultramarine Violet
But does that mean that anyone who feels drawn to Wicca, and was not lucky enough to be born into or geographically/socially near it is just up s**t creek, with nary a paddle in sight? If so, wtf? And if not, what avenues are open to such a person?
Sometimes people have to invest in their spiritual development. Being willing and able to travel is part of that.

Quote:
Also, this isn't a question, really... but a lot of the links in the link list are dead. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anything I can do to help fix it?
I think Nuri knows. The question is more about when folks will have time to fix it.

sabaku-okami

Yes I was joking, It was mainly on how the cathloic chruch adds things to their book.
Prey tell, where did they add things to their scriptural canon.

Quote:
The seven deadly sins we not in the orgional they added that in 350AD and It was eight orginaly. Then the preists can not marry.
None of which has been added to their scriptural canon.
They are part of sacred tradition.

I'm not seeing why you're mocking them.

Explain.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:45 am
sabaku-okami

Yes I was joking, It was mainly on how the cathloic chruch adds things to their book.

Quote:
The seven deadly sins we not in the orgional they added that in 350AD and It was eight orginaly. Then the preists can not marry.

Explain.
Did I say I was mocking you I am only telling the truth.  

bigdickpenny

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:50 am
TeaDidikai
Ultramarine Violet
Sometimes people have to invest in their spiritual development. Being willing and able to travel is part of that.
Well, yeah - that's pretty much a given. But a willingness/ability to travel doesn't do much good if you don't know that there's going to be something useful at the end of it, IMO. Unless you're suggesting that people should just go a-wanderin' and see what turns up, as part of their spiritual journey? (For reference, the question is not sarcastic. I can see the appeal, to a degree, of 'wandering in search of enlightenment', but it's a bit difficult in an age so thoroughly grounded in money, the material, and accessibility of information - even so, ordeals of 'seeking' and poverty and what-have-you can have a certain appeal, as well. But I'll just talk in circles if I continue. Hence, stopping.)

Quote:
Quote:
I think Nuri knows. The question is more about when folks will have time to fix it.
Oh. Okie-dokie. Thought I'd ask.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:08 am
sabaku-okami
TeaDidikai][quote="sabaku-okami

Quote:

Explain.

First, where did the 'you' come from? Tea did not claim that you were mocking e, but 'them.'

Secondly, you claim it be truth despite that Tea has offered a statement indicating otherwise. Can you show how e is wrong and support your claim?  

Aino Ailill

bigdickpenny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:09 am
Ultramarine Violet
TeaDidikai
Ultramarine Violet
Well, yeah - that's pretty much a given. But a willingness/ability to travel doesn't do much good if you don't know that there's going to be something useful at the end of it, IMO. Unless you're suggesting that people should just go a-wanderin' and see what turns up, as part of their spiritual journey? (For reference, the question is not sarcastic. I can see the appeal, to a degree, of 'wandering in search of enlightenment', but it's a bit difficult in an age so thoroughly grounded in money, the material, and accessibility of information - even so, ordeals of 'seeking' and poverty and what-have-you can have a certain appeal, as well. But I'll just talk in circles if I continue. Hence, stopping.)

I agree that it is hard to wander. Sometimes the journey can be in your own head, searching for the truth or what you want to know next. If you are in an area where their is no one to pratice with, find things from your friends on here. read a book or two and have fun. Travel is fine if you know where you are going and was it worth the trip? For me sometimes the awnser is no, but other times it is better then I could of asked for.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:53 am
Ultramarine Violet
Well, yeah - that's pretty much a given. But a willingness/ability to travel doesn't do much good if you don't know that there's going to be something useful at the end of it, IMO.
If you're called, then you find a lineaged coven. The first coven you find may not accept you- but if you're called, then the Lord and Lady will provide.

You have resources as well. Amber and Jet comes to mind.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:54 am
sabaku-okami

Cite it. I want the chapter and verse wherein the Catholic Church added the vow of chastity and the seven deadly sins to the Bible.

sabaku-okami
If you are in an area where their is no one to pratice with, find things from your friends on here. read a book or two and have fun. Travel is fine if you know where you are going and was it worth the trip? For me sometimes the awnser is no, but other times it is better then I could of asked for.
As I recall, we're talking about the Wica based on her earlier statements.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:05 pm
TeaDidikai
sabaku-okami

Cite it. I want the chapter and verse wherein the Catholic Church added the vow of chastity and the seven deadly sins to the Bible.

sabaku-okami
If you are in an area where their is no one to pratice with, find things from your friends on here. read a book or two and have fun. Travel is fine if you know where you are going and was it worth the trip? For me sometimes the awnser is no, but other times it is better then I could of asked for.

they didn't say they added it, they just added it and said that it was always their. Also prove to me that your source is accurate.

Edited for flaming by guild moderator. Watch your words please.  

bigdickpenny

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:11 pm
sabaku-okami
TeaDidikai
sabaku-okami

sabaku-okami

they didn't say they added it twit, they just added it and said that it was always their. Also prove to me that your source is accurate.

Yeah, but where the ******** is it? Chapter and Verse in the ******** Bible where the 7 deadly sins are mentioned? Chapter and Verse where the vow of chastity is outlined in the Bible? They may not have said they added it, but if they added it IT WOULD ******** BE IN THERE.

And what source? She hasn't even mentioned a ******** source, she hasn't even made a ******** claim as far as I can see.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games