Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:15 am
As for this series of books:
I read them all in one day. Christmas day actually, my sister got all three. I found them amusing, cute in that "teenage" sense. But beyond that, they aren't that great for contributing to the Vampire/Werewolf/Human genre. I think it was written with young readers in mind, for it has that jevuinille sense of mind throughout the books (Unlike the later version Anita Black series wink ).
Overall, it's a decent read. Something you should borrow from a friend/library, if you are out of something to read and need a "change". Easy to follow along and remember plot details, somewhat predictable, and the character growth is rather well done...
I do suggest reading them though, if you are at all interested in seeing the movie later this year.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:45 pm
I was about to start a thread about this, thank goodness I saw this one.

Hello, my name is Allison, and I'm obsessed with Twilight.

Seriously, I actually got a little obsessed before I even got the book, I just couldn't stop thinking about them . . . I got my book yesterday, and I realize that puts me very far behind, but I couldn't stop reading. I'm almost halfway through the book, I just ordered the next one because I know I'll be done with the first by the time the next one gets here.

Edward kind of reminds me of my ex, and not in a good way, so that's preventing me from becoming a rabid fangirl. Still, the book is amazing and I know I'm going to be crazy about the rest of the series.

Now, I'm not saying they're great "goth" books, they're great in general, and I know a lot of the readers aren't really goth. In fact I'm sure, especially with the movie coming out, a lot of the fangirls aren't that goth at all, just boy-crazy.  

Freedom Fire

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:48 pm
The Goth Apple
Annie Havok-Morphine
It's generic, "wasted cash"-as you put it-if you ask me. But, hey, it you like overly-perfect characters, and dramatic forbidden-love stories where the two people are pretty much obessesed with each other, then go buy it. It was well-written, but the plot was so obviously in love with itself that it just cancels out the quality of writing.
I agree very much with this.
The main character reminded me of a Mary-Sue, and I didn't like the way vampires worked in that universe.
Plus, I've never been a big fan of teen romance.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of Bella's character. Too innocent, y'know? Edward just orders her around and she does whatever he says without question. And she keeps needing to be saved, that part pisses me off. A girl shouldn't need a man, let alone a vampire, to save her!

And honestly, I think she's nuts for staying with Edward. He strikes me as kind of a narcissist, but then again that could just be a false first-impression.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:42 pm
Rellik San
Annie Havok-Morphine
It's generic, "wasted cash"-as you put it-if you ask me. But, hey, it you like overly-perfect characters, and dramatic forbidden-love stories where the two people are pretty much obessesed with each other, then go buy it. It was well-written, but the plot was so obviously in love with itself that it just cancels out the quality of writing.

I'll pass methinks, I like my characters flawed and interesting.
Same here.

*hides from hordes of screaming Twilight fangirls coming to pummel me*  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:34 pm
XWraith_LordX
Rellik San
Annie Havok-Morphine

I'll pass methinks, I like my characters flawed and interesting.
Same here.

*hides from hordes of screaming Twilight fangirls coming to pummel me*

Don't worry, I am a fangirl but I do agree that the characters are too perfect, too hard to relate to y'know?

Besides, I'm weird and I don't like a guy who constatly insists on taking care of me like I'm freakin' five years old.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:12 pm
Twilight put me in an odd position, as did the rest of the books. They are addicting reads, and really really hard to put down. However, when I look back at it, the story was annoying, repetitive, and sappy. I loved it when I was reading it, but I wouldn't pick it up again... ever... in fact I'd stay away from it like a 2 week dead beaver... with ebola.

It's like you're eating a delicious chocolate, and then you swallow, and get an aftertaste that makes you want to rip out your tongue. Then you ask why it tasted like that, and you find out it was chocolate-coated s**t... That pretty much sums it up to me.

(But it's really godly delicious chocolate while you're eating it...)

Soooo, I have a hard time recommending it, because looking back at it, it was horrible, but it was wonderful reading it. It's like shoving a metal spike of pleasure into your skull for about 10 hours, and then the brain damage sets in.  

Bloody Loon

marabushia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:10 am
I would definately recomend twighlight.
All of stephanie meyers books are wonderful, perhaps look into Host as well, although thats more science fictiony.
If you do start reading though, Breaking Dawn might be a little upsetting, I thought she could have done better.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:26 pm
Oh, forgot to mention that I've read the first book several months ago.

... Oi vhey, good thing I only got it from the library. gonk  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Tusyo

1,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:55 am
-Resurrected Writer-
Annie Havok-Morphine

Yeah, I've heard of the terms "Mary Sue" and "Gary Stu" applying to this book a lot.
I don't understand why people refer to them as Mary-Sue and Gary-Stu. It just annoys me. I read the series and Bella is in no way a Mary-Sue, and of course Edward would seem a bit like one because the story is in her point of view. And in her point of view he is perfect. I think people are forgetting that when they make judgments on the characters. And also, of course the vampires are going to seem like overly perfect characters, They Are Vampires For Christ Sake!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:35 pm
I'm a fan of Twilight, and I recomend it, it's quite good.  

Xx_neoreaper_xX

~~xXEl3KtRaXx~~

5,700 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:20 am
I believe it is a worth while novel to read, it as I do believe discards all the misconception that has been created about vampires..although I do disagree with the skin glowing in the sunlight...I more believe that the skin becomes somewhat transparent and the veins more standout-ish
All in all it is a good novel.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:59 pm
~~xXEl3KtRaXx~~
I believe it is a worth while novel to read, it as I do believe discards all the misconception that has been created about vampires..although I do disagree with the skin glowing in the sunlight...I more believe that the skin becomes somewhat transparent and the veins more standout-ish

I don't quite see how it dispels misconceptions about vampires. They have very little in common with the vampires of myth and folklore.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Bloody Loon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:30 pm
~~xXEl3KtRaXx~~

Vampires.... are.... fictional.... there are no misconceptions, no falsities, no rumours, no truths. It is all the authors tastes in what they want them to be. Hell, they don't even have to suck BLOOD. This is my problem with people saying this kind of thing. If something is fictional, mythical, or fantastical, there is no grounding truths that can bind it. This has a different take on vampires, sure, but it's kind of ridiculous how the evil vampire main characters have become a MINORITY.... seriously, how many of these goody two shoes can people stand before they want to go back to complete monsters... gawd... rolleyes (I like the evil, bloodsucking unstoppable monster... I also root for freddy, chucky, and jason in those oh-so-cheesy slasher films... DIE ignorant teenage scum, DIE!!!)  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:42 pm
Tusyo
-Resurrected Writer-
Annie Havok-Morphine

Yeah, I've heard of the terms "Mary Sue" and "Gary Stu" applying to this book a lot.
I don't understand why people refer to them as Mary-Sue and Gary-Stu. It just annoys me. I read the series and Bella is in no way a Mary-Sue, and of course Edward would seem a bit like one because the story is in her point of view. And in her point of view he is perfect. I think people are forgetting that when they make judgments on the characters. And also, of course the vampires are going to seem like overly perfect characters, They Are Vampires For Christ Sake!

*Ahem*

Have you read the books, lovie? Or, do you just not know what a Mary-Sue is? Either way, I beg to differ. Bella has no real flaws. Cutely clumsy is not a real flaw, or an interesting one for that matter. I do hope that this hapless daydream the Mayers has inserted her self into ends sometime soon, for my sake and yours.  

Priestess of Sekhmet

Priestess of Sekhmet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:44 pm
Kaishi Kyouki
~~xXEl3KtRaXx~~

Vampires.... are.... fictional.... there are no misconceptions, no falsities, no rumours, no truths. It is all the authors tastes in what they want them to be. Hell, they don't even have to suck BLOOD. This is my problem with people saying this kind of thing. If something is fictional, mythical, or fantastical, there is no grounding truths that can bind it. This has a different take on vampires, sure, but it's kind of ridiculous how the evil vampire main characters have become a MINORITY.... seriously, how many of these goody two shoes can people stand before they want to go back to complete monsters... gawd... rolleyes (I like the evil, bloodsucking unstoppable monster... I also root for freddy, chucky, and jason in those oh-so-cheesy slasher films... DIE ignorant teenage scum, DIE!!!)

YES!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! *screams and runs around*  
Art / Poetry / Literature - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces