Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
How To Draw...What's the Best? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iJigyakuteki_Cookie

4,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:52 am
I had gotten one of the Hart books after I did some tutorials online and found some sort of style. I find the Hart books too simplistic compared to most anime styles we see out there. But if it's someone's style, I won't burn them down for it. biggrin I just think Hart mixed up the western style of cartoon characters clothing style with that of anime and I don't see that as genuine 'Manga'. I haven't even seen chibi's that are that simple.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:10 pm
私の中心はあなたのために手を差し伸べる~❀❀❀

My hand Reaches out for you~

Personally, I dont really reccomend Harts
I found that the art is too well.............easy.
You could learn by studying different styles o.o
If you use a book then your not making your own style of art

あなたのは私のために達するか。~❀❀❀

Will Yours reach back for me?

cutefairy012

Aterga

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:55 pm
I actually find that art books don't help at all and tend to make it harder for you to learn how to draw better  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:47 am
Errol McGillivray
I lol'd.

Seriously though, I couldn't recommend any of them at all. I personally find them all to be trash that will hurt you more than help you in the long run if you're not already pretty sound in your skills before you pick them up.

I agree XD Books can only show you how they draw, it doesn't allow you to grow as a artist. You have to practice and learn how to draw in your own style, if you want you canuse that as a guide line for posing but besides that those books are pretty useless  

Z-MusicalChairMassacre-U

gothic_beauty_695

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:19 pm
i've found that those books are really not that much help. yes they teach you how to draw the characters but that is a tecnique that they use. it might not work as well for you. All of the circles and lines that you just end up eraseing, for some that is a pain. I think they help in some ways though. you should mostly look at how they got the basic shapes and how they create the final picture. then take that and place it with your own way to draw. that way your not trying to match someone elses drawing but your makin them your own.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:50 am
Personally I like the HTDM books for pose reference. I started from them, but the better advice you get is from free source online tutorials. The manga university has TONS of good reference books, but as instruction manuals they're really sort of flat.

I'd suggest the books by Benn Dunn. They don't cost as much as most of the others, and he covers a lot of things for beginners. It's also not of those "draw this the same way every time!" kinda books. A lot more useful for learning.  

.[Kaya no Jutsu].

i cannot see

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:55 pm
I have an anatomy book with photographed bodies by Sarah Simblet called "Anatomy For the Artist" and I found it to be a great deal of help because it leaves it up to you to translate the body rather than copy someone else's copy of what they think the body looks like.

My suggestion is learn basic anatomy first, because you need to know the body before you can alter it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:11 am
anatomy for the artist is an awesome book it was one of my 1st. i also highly recommend art students' anatomy by edmond j. farris, Anatomy Coloring Book by Wynn Kapit, Lawrence M. Elson(this one is a little more technical but its gives an easy to understanding of the muscle groups and what they do) and Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peck

another thing to do is to look at the old masters. they did pioneer this stuff for us after all. so don't let it go to waste

i find di vinci, michangelo and rodin particually worth looking into  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

BlindMagnum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:43 pm
I remember back in the the day, the How to draw: cars, horses, cats, dogs etc and those helped me alot with understanding structure and building a frame to work from.
Im still learning human anatomy and movement from every day people, either at the dog park, bar, club, family gathering and concerts. I just pop it out and look around and do quickies on what and who is around.
Also, Ive recently found a series of anatomy books for artists starting in the 1930s going all the way till 1978. Its amazing to see how the styles changed and they help alot with my anatomy problems. There is a whole book simply dedicated to hands which has been a godsend lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:23 am
The absolute best books for learning how to draw is defiantly Bridgeman for anatomy. It is the best book on the market for anatomy, all anatomy teachers will refer to his work and recommend his book(s) i say "book(s)" because it comes in 2 ways, complete and in sections. The sections are nice for if you are going to carry them around alot, i have those because they are more convenient than the large one... but if you are going to be drawing only at home i would recommend the complete book.

Second for landscapes and scenery there isn't one person that stands out like Bridgeman, just get any book that teaches
-1 point
-2 point
-3 point
-4 point
-Special vanishing points

as well as how to make cutouts in your objects. Then make sure it teaches you how to move a figure in space. And you would be right on your way to draing...

P.S. - If you want your draings to look amazing, look into posotive and negative space as well as massing lights and darks.

I know that was a lot but I tried to hit the tip of the ice for you :] hope it helps.  

Brent Da Supreme Overlord

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:01 am
I guess I'm gonna be the minority here, and actually promote the how to draw manga collection by joint publication of Tasuhiro Ozaki and Unkaku Koyama. They were a great help to me, and when I still have trouble figuring stuff out I reflect back onto them. I have never met someone who uses their books and "steals" the style within the pages. A friend actually recommended them to me, and I fell in love. they show different poses, how to dress character properly in certain clothes, and much more.

I also suggest investing in an ARTIST'S anatomy book, I have a both a college biology anatomy book and an artist's anatomy book. The artist one is more helpful because it draws the characters in action.

so these are the books I recommend

Anatomy for The Artist - Daniel Carter & Michael Cortney

How to Draw Manga Collection - Tasuhiro Ozaki and Unkaku Koyama

I hope this helps!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:47 pm
I think the only thing How to draw (anything here) books are really for is an artist's promotion. Its a good method to. But the idea that they will miraculously make the common anime-lover a professional manga artist is far fetched... Unless it was written by the almighty God Rah, perhaps... But thats just as far fetched.

Although, it is really nice to know how professionals do things, you may pick up a tip or two, but nothing will ever beat doing it yourself and learning from trial and error.

*Searches ebay for How to draw everything by Rah*  

Nonobotica

lysiuum

Wheezing Fatcat

4,700 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:59 pm
Well I never look for books I look on Youtube drawing tutorials! I learned how to draw my avatar by watching a "how to draw anime tutorial"  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:00 pm
Well the how to manga is well in my opinion a quick buck for the anime fan boy/girls who wanna draw just like that!!!!!!!!!!!!! that author rake's the cash in.

It is a good starter for those who are not inclined to drawing, but like buying YuGiOh cards just getting the starter deck will not get you anywhere. Only by getting boosters and adding your own style and taste will get you noticed and build your own strengths. Sorry Im a card gamer

Anywho the problem with how to manga is that they are too basic but they are a good refrence guide. Especially with stance and some pose it is lacking though. Anatomy is a great way to start with how the body is shaped, toned, bends, ect.... becuase anime is the exact same concept with the exception of heads,eyes,mouths,hair and breasts becuase huge boobs aren't that perky ever o_O.

Drawing still life and having a good structual foundation would really help so classes are highly recommended. However I think a self taught artist will go further than your averge run of the mill since you do aquire your own style/flare a bit faster.

All art is a copy of something in one form or another, even if you imagine it your vision still has to be copied on canvas, film, paper or any other rendition of your choice ^_~ being only human after all  

Gash Rain

JustSketch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:39 am
I like this website- www.mangatutorials.com
there are SO many different things that help me! Hope i helped!
~Risa  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces