Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Rude Discussion
So you're a streetlight manifesto fan... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Don Caballero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:03 pm
here's a qoute from a song I like.... "I don't need a music scene to tell me who I am"  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:09 pm
A Perfect Circle 420
Biker Mice from Mars
yaoifanboykitty
Y'know, I never get why people go into these scenes and seem to deem one type of music superior, or that they're superior because they know more about the music, Hell I dont even know wghy people bother with scenes, if you love the old bands so much, just be in it for the music and dont give a s**t what others think about you or your tastes, like they did...
These are my thoughts exactly. I've lost my love for ska, but I enjoy coming here trying to weed out gems like you from the teenage fakes.

The sad thing is too, Im just a 14 year old kid that just listened and didnt no what ska was til like a year ago...

Haha thats kinda how I am, but I listen to all waves of Ska. And by the way the RBF/Streetligt/AAA show was GREAT I surfed and I even got knocked out by a 400lbs guy who was the exact opposite of a skin head, he was hairy as ********. But yeah, I listen to all waves of Ska and I gotta say i LOVE the originals more than I love the new stuff but you almost gotta keep up with the genre. Music moves and changes thats how it works, people having different ways of expressing themselves during different time periods but they stay in the music GENRE...  

MCS4evr0

MCS4evr0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:21 pm
The Leninator!
I agree with what he's saying but, being more of an old-school punk then a rude-boy I have to point out the My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy aren't even part of the new pop punk s**t- they're emo. And a better reference then Taste of Chaos as a bad punk tour with a few good bands would be the Warped Tour with a few decent songs. I just had to clarify that. I agree on him with the ska though, and I can relate to it with the punk scene- a lot of people listen to NOFX and Anti-Flag and call themselves punks or listen to Bad Religion and say that they're hard core, and I dig some of NOFX and Bad Religions stuff (and even a little of Anti-Flag's work) but you have to know the old school stuff like Bad Brains and Black Flag and The Reagan Youth.

Too many people go around listening to a little bit of an entire culture and saying they're part of it. Plus, there's no school like the old school- regardless of what direction you're coming from- style, musical talent, lyrics, or just quality of music, the new things in ska are nothing to the oldies.

I LOVE YOU, but I will say MCR and FOB are Goth-rock not emo. Stuff like the Used are Goth-rock too, not emo. People get all that stuff confused. Theyres indie, theyres goth-rock, and THEN theyres emo which are all TOTALLY different from each other. But other than that, GREAT post  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:33 am
A quote from the lovely Mustard Plug in their greatest song of all time Skank By Numbers "Finally we'd like to stop and thank our roots,
respect the Specials, Maytals, and Toots!
Wailing Wailers, Laurel Aitken,and (english) Beat,
but most of all the Skatalites, they're music complete!"  

MCS4evr0

MCS4evr0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:27 pm
It saddens me that this discussion is dead sad  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:41 pm
MCS4evr0
It saddens me that this discussion is dead sad

There's nothing left to discuss, unless going off topic to talk about your apparently limited knowledge of music genres.

If anything besides crap, MCR and FOB are pop-rock. (i.e. a pop band)

Indie is short for independent. Any band on an independent label is technically be considered indie. DIY, and anti-consumerism are a big part of the indie subculture A crappy band on Victory Records should not be described as indie.

Emo, short for emocore, short for emotive hardcore. There are no new emo bands that will ever become popular, unless the world somehow realizes what emo actually is..

'Goth-rock', as you put it, also no longer exists. Goth bands may still be together, touring, and recording new music, but the somewhat small movement in the 80's ended long ago. Examples include Bauhaus (although I consider them more post-punk), The March Violets, and Gloria Mundi. People tend to mix up goth and post-punk. Joy Division and Echo & the Bunnymen are not goth. The Used is not a goth band.  

Zom B McFlesheater

MCS4evr0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:46 am
Zom B McFlesheater

There's nothing left to discuss, unless going off topic to talk about your apparently limited knowledge of music genres.

Indie is short for independent. Any band on an independent label is technically be considered indie. DIY, and anti-consumerism are a big part of the indie subculture A crappy band on Victory Records should not be described as indie.

Emo, short for emocore, short for emotive hardcore. There are no new emo bands that will ever become popular, unless the world somehow realizes what emo actually is..

'Goth-rock', as you put it, also no longer exists. Goth bands may still be together, touring, and recording new music, but the somewhat small movement in the 80's ended long ago. Examples include Bauhaus (although I consider them more post-punk), The March Violets, and Gloria Mundi. People tend to mix up goth and post-punk. Joy Division and Echo & the Bunnymen are not goth. The Used is not a goth band.

Yeah well the way I learned it is this, Indie is just a version of emo like Motion City Soundtrack or Matchbook Romance. Then there's the Goth Rock which is s**t like Slipknot and some other HxC bands, but theres also stuff like The Used.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:15 pm
MCS4evr0
Zom B McFlesheater

Yeah well the way I learned it is this, Indie is just a version of emo like Motion City Soundtrack or Matchbook Romance. Then there's the Goth Rock which is s**t like Slipknot and some other HxC bands, but theres also stuff like The Used.

You can also learn that 2+2=51, but that wouldn't make it right.  

Zom B McFlesheater

Frankenska

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:21 pm
MCS4evr0
A quote from the lovely Mustard Plug in their greatest song of all time Skank By Numbers "Finally we'd like to stop and thank our roots,
respect the Specials, Maytals, and Toots!
Wailing Wailers, Laurel Aitken,and (english) Beat,
but most of all the Skatalites, they're music complete!"

3nodding indeed  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:25 pm
Zom B McFlesheater
MCS4evr0
Zom B McFlesheater

You can also learn that 2+2=51, but that wouldn't make it right.

it could be right... for very...very large values of 2....

Dance

Guns of Navarone

Boonsk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:26 am
Melomaniacal
Sure, it's getting further and further away from it's roots, but without evolution it would stay the same.

hmm. a little obvious.

But yeah I happen to be one of the few people trying to get my freinds into ska. I dont wear two tone clothing and dont claim "rudeboy-ship" but I am always on the search for new bands that are fun to listen to. So your right skas culture is being "Americanized" and by that i mean its becoming more popular but less meaningful, however if it roots ska were more accesible than thats what we could hear.
P.S. Goldfinger RBF and Streetlight are my first bands but im slowly tring to delve deeper thanks for mentioning some bands for me to listen to!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:23 pm
Boonsk
Melomaniacal
Sure, it's getting further and further away from it's roots, but without evolution it would stay the same.

hmm. a little obvious.

But yeah I happen to be one of the few people trying to get my freinds into ska. I dont wear two tone clothing and dont claim "rudeboy-ship" but I am always on the search for new bands that are fun to listen to. So your right skas culture is being "Americanized" and by that i mean its becoming more popular but less meaningful, however if it roots ska were more accesible than thats what we could hear.
P.S. Goldfinger RBF and Streetlight are my first bands but im slowly tring to delve deeper thanks for mentioning some bands for me to listen to!

Well, I disagree about ska becoming less meaningful. Ska is becoming more meaningful, if anything. It's branching out, becoming more complicated, and now there's just more to learn. Of course there will be some bands that dumb it down a lot, but that can be said for any genre. The roots are just as accessible, in my opinion. I found Toots and the Maytal's music just as easily as I found Streetlight's.

On a side note, Streetlight never claimed to be a ska band... so really, it was the public that decided that.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:00 pm
streetlight is a ska band, sure they suck a**, but they still play ska. People only say they aren't ska because its popular to either love em or hate them so they hate em, and decide they can't be part of their music scene.

"I don't need a music scene to tell me who I am" woo, I bet thats slightly changed around and somewhere in a streetlight song isn't it?

haha anyways. Ska is like any other music, its mixed with tons of others. s**t look at bands like Bomb the Music Industry or Frank and his Skunk Allstars.
Not just plain old trad ska, they've added tons of s**t to it. then look at some of the newer bandslike slackers, hepcat, etc. they keep it oldschool.

ska isn't gonna keep itself within its own walls, it won't evolve in only one way, and it won't stay the same. it will end up splitting to punk-ska, pop-ska, trad ska, and whatever the ******** else bands feel like.

anyways. point is, check out frank and his skunk allstars, they're awesome.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:30 pm
Guns of Navarone
streetlight is a ska band, sure they suck a**, but they still play ska. People only say they aren't ska because its popular to either love em or hate them so they hate em, and decide they can't be part of their music scene.

"I don't need a music scene to tell me who I am" woo, I bet thats slightly changed around and somewhere in a streetlight song isn't it?

haha anyways. Ska is like any other music, its mixed with tons of others. s**t look at bands like Bomb the Music Industry or Frank and his Skunk Allstars.
Not just plain old trad ska, they've added tons of s**t to it. then look at some of the newer bandslike slackers, hepcat, etc. they keep it oldschool.

ska isn't gonna keep itself within its own walls, it won't evolve in only one way, and it won't stay the same. it will end up splitting to punk-ska, pop-ska, trad ska, and whatever the ******** else bands feel like.

Yeesh, you are REALLY harsh about Streetlight xp

But yeah, I agree. I think change (for the most part) is good. Like I've said before, without the change ska has gone through, it would probably be completely dead.

About FAHSA, I checked them out... eh... I didn't like it a lot. I'm not into that style of singing (dub, rap-ish style). That's probably the reason why I'm not totally into Big D.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

Guns of Navarone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:02 pm
Melomaniacal
Guns of Navarone

Yeesh, you are REALLY harsh about Streetlight xp

But yeah, I agree. I think change (for the most part) is good. Like I've said before, without the change ska has gone through, it would probably be completely dead.

About FAHSA, I checked them out... eh... I didn't like it a lot. I'm not into that style of singing (dub, rap-ish style). That's probably the reason why I'm not totally into Big D.

Hah I see, I'm a fan of dub rap-ish lol.

anyways I can't help but be harsh on streetlight. come on.

On and On and On. I swear one of his "new" songs goes it goes on and on and on again. lol I mean COME ON.

and sorry if thats not an exact quote, I don't remember things I disliked and only listened to like twice.  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff