Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}
What do you think about listening to non-Christian music??? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

is it wrong to listen to non-Christian music???
  yes
  no
View Results

EmoPunkRose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:01 pm
I litsen mostly to Fall Out Boy! I mean, I go to church every Sunday and have accepted Christ and all, but I rarely litsen to christian music. I like it though! So I don't think there's anything wrong with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:13 pm
I think nothing good ever happens to you if you're listening to worldy music. Think about it, are you glorifying God when you're listening to that stuff? Thats why I got rid of all the worldy songs on my computer so now whats left is Christians songs.  

Aeirus

Ruthless Cutesmasher

I_ran_into_the_microwave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:34 pm
Every song can mean something different for everyone. I think it all depends on the heart of the listener. Yes, things like profanity and songs about sex drugs ect. I don't approve of, but I think there are still some beautiful messages in "secular" songs. Just because the writer of the music isn't Christian doesn't mean there can't be some truth to their lyrics.

I think it goes the other direction as well. Not all Christain music comes from the mouth of God, if you know what I mean. Although I do agree that it usually has better motives.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:55 am
It all depends on what your listening to.

Love songs and romantic songs are nice, and I don't see anything bad with them at all.

Songs about life in general, positive songs, are nice to listen to.

Christian music is right if your in the mood to worship.

Songs that bring down people, are kind of going against God, and what He stands for.

x unobstructed pencil x

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:12 pm
Hm...I just listened to a concept album about a serial rapist/killer...

It was one of the best albums I've ever heard, both lyrically and musically. It was beautiful.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:09 pm
Lethkhar

It was one of the best albums I've ever heard, both lyrically and musically. It was beautiful.

Wow... I bet it was! stare What's your point? What did it talk about? How fun it was to kill/rape people? If it didn't, then there you go. rolleyes  

x unobstructed pencil x

Lyneun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:02 pm
It's sad, though, when "secular" music mixes with Christian music, or when those bands claim Christianity or "God." I had a heated discussion with a coworker a month ago about ICP (Insane Clown Posse). In one of their songs, they said, "The truth is, we follow God." Thusly, my coworker claimed, following Christianty. My brother and I scrutinized the rest of the cd (as we are not listeners of ICP), and among other things, profanity was high, violent phrases were high and so was the general angry/negative portrayal in the music. The lines blur sometimes, and it can be hard, very hard, to non-Christian people when bands like ICP do things like this. They claim they are Christian, so immediately in the listener's mind, they have an unofficial "Christian approved" sticker on their head. ICP's excuse for using vulgar language and lyrics was they were trying to reach out to a group of people that "normal" Christianity could not touch. But, is that really an excuse? I do not think so. By their fruits you shall know them...and things like this, are not becoming of followers of Christ. You can reach out to groups without having to resort to vulgarity, and still be Christian. One of my favourite groups Red has done that. They are Christian under a secular label.

...I am finished.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:55 pm
I love Red! They have done just that! So has Flyleaf, although they are a bit more obvious. Yeah, it really bugs me when secular bands claim to be Christian simply because they don't sing about anything bad. Well, to be a Christian band, I believe your music has to sing about God (worshiping..) in like, every song. stare Not just singing about nice stuff, because that wont make you Christian.  

x unobstructed pencil x

-xXGodslayer_RaiXx-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:45 pm
Sakura_Chan133
I love Red! They have done just that! So has Flyleaf, although they are a bit more obvious. Yeah, it really bugs me when secular bands claim to be Christian simply because they don't sing about anything bad. Well, to be a Christian band, I believe your music has to sing about God (worshiping..) in like, every song. stare Not just singing about nice stuff, because that wont make you Christian.
So I guess Creed doens't follow your citeria. They don't say the words worship God in every song. Maybe underneath the words but they don't say those words. I haven't analyzed Creed's lyrics but they are Christian. The same with Demonhunter. You just need to analyze the music. A lot of people didn't know Creed was an actual Christian band since they flat out and said it. My friend told me this in the 9th grade.

And with the f-word. I thought it was something the early day Christians used to do when they found adulterers. They would put the f-word on the adulterers houses and graves. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

I think its okay to listen to things that are unchristian because you could learn about things that you could never learn about elsewhere. And most unchristian songs that are rock has a good beat to dance to like The Clashes-Rock the Casbah. Also most rock like Pink Floyd, and Red Hot Chili Peppers can be very calming.

I promarily listen to Creed and Demonhunter. I used to listen to Switchfoot but lost my cd. Then I switch over to The Clash, SnOW, MCR, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, X-Japan, hide, Diru, Rob Zombie, Evanesence, Seether, Nirvana, Operator to name a few.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:52 am
Well Red doesn't worship God in every song... stare

But Demonhunter. Yes! My brother had it playing in the car the other day, and I read the lyrics to it. Nicely composed, I must say.  

Lyneun

x unobstructed pencil x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:06 pm
Wow.

What I meant was, if they worship God in at least one song your good. Or if you sing about God period. Gosh, you know what you need to be a Christian band. I'm talking about bands who claim to be Christian but never even sing about God. Sure, you can have bands like that, but it doesn't make much sense. It's iffy. stare

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:21 pm
Sakura_Chan133
Wow.

What I meant was, if they worship God in at least one song your good. Or if you sing about God period. Gosh, you know what you need to be a Christian band. I'm talking about bands who claim to be Christian but never even sing about God. Sure, you can have bands like that, but it doesn't make much sense. It's iffy. stare
I know but with Creed, they don't blatantly say it. It's more implied. You have to analyze the lyrics and look at the inner meaning of songs. There could be bands who don't say it but the inner meaning clearly spells it out.

I think that bands who say the worship God aren't really Christian it takes it out all the fun in trying to figure out the meaning of the song. Maybe that's just me... whee  

-xXGodslayer_RaiXx-

x unobstructed pencil x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:40 pm
Yeah, I hear you. I also like bands who like it when people take what they want from their songs, like Lifehouse and Flyleaf.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:42 pm
Sakura_Chan133
Lethkhar

Wow... I bet it was! stare What's your point? What did it talk about? How fun it was to kill/rape people? If it didn't, then there you go. rolleyes

No, no, no...

It really had very little to do with rape and murder. The whole album was a comment on society and the psyche that drives people into that realm. The majority of it was hugely metaphorical.

I don't listen to music for the sole purpose of hearing about rape and murder. I listen to music to experience art. The album I heard was truly a work of art. It took me a lot of analysis to even figure out what the theme was.

Lyrics to one of the songs (Don't worry; this one is not about anything you would find morally degenerative):

Trains

Train set and match spied under the blind
Shiny and contoured the railway winds
And I've heard the sound from my cousin's bed
The hiss of the train at the railway head

Always the summers are slipping away

A 60 ton angel falls to the earth
A pile of old metal, a radiant blur
Scars in the country, the summer and her

Always the summers are slipping away
Find me a way for making it stay

When I hear the engine pass
I'm kissing you wide
The hissing subsides
I'm in luck

When the evening reaches here
You're tying me up
I'm dying of love
It's OK

Do you see what I mean? That's genuine poetry. Dickinson couldn't have done it better herself.

And the music's just enchanting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjgJDC2Jw8w  

Lethkhar

x unobstructed pencil x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:57 pm
Enchanting? Coolest word ever. xd

Yeah, that was actually nice. I thought you meant it was made by those people. I have a really intense hatred for them... stare

Anyway, yeah, it sounds nice! Sorry for being ignorant.

Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff