NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:09 pm
Bookwyrme
NightIntent
Bookwyrme
NightIntent
Bookwyrme
I wish she'd write the mythical third book in the Blue Sword series.

Me, too. I wanna see stuff about the future. Or the story about why Harry's grandmother or whatever left the Hills! That'd be awesome!

I wonder if Harry's grandmother was the protagonist in Stone Fey?

I think the 3rd book was supposed to be about the dark-haired woman Aerin saw as she was falling. Maybe. I have a vague memory of reading that somewhere.

I've been meaning to read The Stone Fey, but I can't find it. It's frustrating.

It's in one of the collections. Door in the Hedge, I think. Though the illustrations in the stand-alone are awfully nice, you can still get the story ithrough the collection.

Is it in The Door in the Hedge? Dammit, I can't remember. I really need to find my copy, but it seems to have gotten lost somehow. I swear I had it! ...Last year. n.n" That's about the last time I remember having it.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:05 pm
Robin Mckinley is AWESOME! i LOVED the hero and the crown. her retelling of children stories like (spindles end, beauty, etc) were wonderful. Deerskin was magnificent. I dont think theres anything i DONT like about her.  

moonjinx

doodlebuggey88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:23 pm
I've read some of her books & I really like her works, although I admit she's not the best author I've read. Beauty is my favorite of hers, I've read it many times from when I was little. I read Spindles End not too long ago. I liked it, but it was a bit strange at parts. I haven't read the Robin Hood one or Hero & the Crown, but I really really want to.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:53 am
I thought Spindle's End suffered a bit from sprawl. It wasn't a bad book, mind, just not her best. Also, I prefered the first POV character and was quite disappointed when she shifted to the princess' POV.  

Bookwyrme

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:36 pm
Yeah, I liked the first character better than the princess. If only I could remember her name. And I just re-read the book a few months ago, too. Meh. I think Narl is my favorite character. Except for the falling in love with Rose thing. That's just... odd, to me.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:03 pm
I used to love Robin McKinley (not that I still don't, I just ran out of books to read). I started with either the Blue Sword or the Hero and the Crown, I don't remember. I've never heard of Sunshine though. I remember liking Outlaw of Sherwood, in fact my roommate and I were just talking about it. We hated the ending though. I definately have major problems with the ending, though I won't bother going into it unless anyone really cares because I suppose the reasons are pretty picky.  

Ashanti Codex

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:34 am
Ashanti Codex
I used to love Robin McKinley (not that I still don't, I just ran out of books to read). I started with either the Blue Sword or the Hero and the Crown, I don't remember. I've never heard of Sunshine though. I remember liking Outlaw of Sherwood, in fact my roommate and I were just talking about it. We hated the ending though. I definately have major problems with the ending, though I won't bother going into it unless anyone really cares because I suppose the reasons are pretty picky.

I'd like to hear them smile Nitpicking is part of the fun of reading.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:32 am
Bookwyrme
Ashanti Codex

Ok, I can't remember exactly, so if I sound of base, it's because of that. Mostly, it was that at the end most of the heros of the story are sent to go fight in the crusades. I didn't like the fact that all these characters I'd gotten attached to were being forced to go do something morally ambiguous (yes, even back when I read this I though a lot about history) and something that would probably kill them. So it didn't feel like a true resolution, and I felt like I was supposed to have come out thinking that the ending was more positive than it was to my point of view.  

Ashanti Codex

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:09 pm
Ashanti Codex
Bookwyrme
Ashanti Codex

Ok, I can't remember exactly, so if I sound of base, it's because of that. Mostly, it was that at the end most of the heros of the story are sent to go fight in the crusades. I didn't like the fact that all these characters I'd gotten attached to were being forced to go do something morally ambiguous (yes, even back when I read this I though a lot about history) and something that would probably kill them. So it didn't feel like a true resolution, and I felt like I was supposed to have come out thinking that the ending was more positive than it was to my point of view.

Ah. See, I don't think you are supposed to be entirely happy with the ending. They've gained a reprieve, yes--but as you pointed out, the chances of any or all of them surviving are slim. They know that, too, but it's better than hanging.

Also, the king comes back to set things right--which is what everyone has been wanting--and then he turns around and leaves again, right away.

Also, the "original" Robin Hood story carries through to his betrayal & death, so I think it's never intended to be anything but bittersweet.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:12 pm
Ashanti Codex
I used to love Robin McKinley (not that I still don't, I just ran out of books to read). I started with either the Blue Sword or the Hero and the Crown, I don't remember. I've never heard of Sunshine though.

When you run out of an author's works, it's time to reread!

Sunshine is her latest book; it's a vampire/Beauty and the Beast/urban fantasy. It's good.

Beauty is still my favorite, though. I love the little details, the bits like "There is a art to scrubbing a floor; not a very delicate art, but an art." Or the point where the father is going back to the town & says that they're happy where they are, and they all agree, but Hope looks down at her chapped hands with some regret. Those moments seem so very human and poignant.  

Bookwyrme

Ashanti Codex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:11 am
Bookwyrme
Ashanti Codex
Bookwyrme
Ashanti Codex

Ah. See, I don't think you are supposed to be entirely happy with the ending. They've gained a reprieve, yes--but as you pointed out, the chances of any or all of them surviving are slim. They know that, too, but it's better than hanging.

Also, the king comes back to set things right--which is what everyone has been wanting--and then he turns around and leaves again, right away.

Also, the "original" Robin Hood story carries through to his betrayal & death, so I think it's never intended to be anything but bittersweet.

Well, that makes sense then. Just wouldn't have made as much sense as when I was 13? 14? And now I'm starting to get intested in the ledgends.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:40 pm
I am finishing Never After and I really like it because it is different than any otrher fairy tales I havem read.  

Lady_Altheia

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:55 am
Lady_Altheia
I am finishing Never After and I really like it because it is different than any otrher fairy tales I havem read.

Why is this in the Robin McKinley thread? It's by Rebecca Lickiss and has nothing to do with Robin McKinley.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:57 pm
I liked the collections of Retold Fairy Tales she did. That was Robin McKinley, wasn't It? SNOW WHITE and ROSE RED et al.  

Harbone

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:57 pm
Harbone
I liked the collections of Retold Fairy Tales she did. That was Robin McKinley, wasn't It? SNOW WHITE and ROSE RED et al.

Mckinley did retell fairy tales, but if you're thinking of the anthologies I think you're thinking of, they aren't hers.

Do you mean the ones by Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling? They come out every year and tend to be called htings like Black Thorn, White Rose, and they often contain as much horror as they do happy.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff