None...I hate fairy tales!
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:52 pm
Kaypendragon
Donna Jo Napoli retells lots of fairy tales. She has a trillogy about the Frog Prince.

I liked her version of Rapunzel. It was interesting. And I think I read some other fairy tale by her, but I can't remember which. Maybe Rumpelstiltskin.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:48 pm
I don't know if this counts, but there's a comic book artist out there named Linda Medley. She does a great series called CASTLE WAITING which is all about revisionist tales. Very nice work. She also has a graphic novel called BRAMBLEY HEDGE which is a nice retelling of SLEEPING BEAUTY from everyone BUT Sleeping Beauty's point of view.  

Harbone

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:11 am
I just remembered a book that's not, technically, a retold fairy tale, but it's a fairy tale. I found it a bit entertaining, though not as good as it could've been. Never After, I believe it was called. It mixes a few aspects of different fairy tales into it, and there are some really funny parts. I liked when the main character (can't remember her name) had to re-enact The Princess and the Pea. And Rumpelstiltskin. And one other story that I can't remember. The Princess and the Pea part was my favorite part of the book, by far.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:12 pm
NightIntent
I just remembered a book that's not, technically, a retold fairy tale, but it's a fairy tale. I found it a bit entertaining, though not as good as it could've been. Never After, I believe it was called. It mixes a few aspects of different fairy tales into it, and there are some really funny parts. I liked when the main character (can't remember her name) had to re-enact The Princess and the Pea. And Rumpelstiltskin. And one other story that I can't remember. The Princess and the Pea part was my favorite part of the book, by far.

I know that book. It was awesome. I believe the author is Rebecca Lickiss.  

tecche

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:18 pm
Yeah, that's the author. It was an okay book. I think I would have enjoyed it more, if I hadn't stopped reading it partway through to read a book by an author I like a lot more. But it was still pretty good.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:53 pm
I have Never After. It is on my list to read. There is also Mercedes Lackey's Gates if Sleep- Sleeping Beauty. Outstreched Shadow- I think this is Snow White, and Phoenix and Ashes-Cinderella. I haven't read Ella Enchanted bit I love the movie. I have read Beauty and it was really good.  

Lady_Altheia

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:49 pm
Oooh, another one I've been meaning to mention is Goose Chase. I just re-discovered it on my shelf (amazing how things can get lost, isn't it?) and I remembered how much I love it. It's by Patrice Kindl, who also wrote The Woman in the Wall and Owl in Love, both of which I liked. Goose Chase is about this Goose Girl who was "blessed" by this old woman with a really long chin and nose and only two teeth. Gold dust falls from her hair, her tears are diamonds, and she's as lovely as the dawn, supposedly. Because of this, she's locked into a tower by her ruling prince and has to choose to marry either him or the King of the country next to the one she lives in. She escapes, and goes on the adventure of her life. It's very funny, and I really like it. Patrice Kindl is really good at first person narration and making all her characters completely different from one another. I'll stop now before I go on some random shpeal about her other books.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:57 am
Oooh. I just got that one. I liked it a lot as well. Woman in the Wall was interesting too.  

tecche

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:02 am
I loved The Woman in the Wall. I read it like three times in twenty four hours. Part of that was because it was finals week, and I only had that book. Not smart of me. Two hour classes with a one-hundred-somethnig page book? Very bad idea, for me. I still love it. Owl in Love is probbaly my least favorite of the three books.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:12 pm
Owl in Love? I haven't heard of that one. What's it about?  

tecche

Lady_Altheia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:16 pm
I am reading Never After and it is definitely different. It has no chapters though.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:34 pm
tecche

It's about a were-owl who's in love with her teacher, and meets another were-owl later in the book. Quite interesting, though a little odd.  

NightIntent
Captain

tecche

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:24 pm
NightIntent
tecche

It's about a were-owl who's in love with her teacher, and meets another were-owl later in the book. Quite interesting, though a little odd.

Were-owls, eh? That's sort of a new one. I'll definitely look into it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:32 pm
tecche
NightIntent
tecche

It's different, that's for sure. I like it. But the fact that she's in love with her teacher kinda bugs me. And then at the end it's just... weird. Yeah.  

NightIntent
Captain

tecche

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:53 pm
NightIntent
tecche
NightIntent
tecche

It's different, that's for sure. I like it. But the fact that she's in love with her teacher kinda bugs me. And then at the end it's just... weird. Yeah.

How Daine and Numair -esque.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces