Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  whore
View Results

fce5c7a32187df1c0a5ebcaa2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:22 pm
This may not apply very much to what's been said in here, but usually when I try to read a book which is very non-fiction, including romances and based-on-true-stories, I find I'm just not very interested. On the other hand, I might read the description on the back of a fantasy or sci-fi book, or even just the title, and be immediately interested. It's just my personal interests. Everyone has different interests, and whether or not they choose to read books suggested to them is entirely up to them.

The reasons why I prefer stories that are very fictional are simple. I live a boring life, because my friends never really phone me or want to hang out with me or anything. My solution: fantasy, which has plenty of action, variety in characters and places, and there are so many possibilities for good or bad things to happen to even the most ordinary person. Another thing is that I just don't find 'real' life very interesting anyway, and whatever is interesting in it, usually involves wars or government or something else that I just don't care very much about. Sure, there's still a lot of that stuff in a lot of fantasy books, but it's different. Things happen in ways different from whatever you might see in the news.

That's all just my opinion. If you find something in my words that you want to argue with, that's up to you, and I won't stop you from trying. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and only they should be able to decide whether they want to change their opinions because of someone else.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:38 am
I think it is disrespected eventhough I think it has to be more difficult to write than realistic fiction because not only do you have to imagine the plot but you also havet o create the world.  

lovebooks

Ignorance Xx is xX Bliss

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:01 pm
I do believe that the fantasy genre is ridiculed and labeled nerdy. I do not know why people thinks this though. In my opinion it takes just as much intelect to read most fantasy books as it does to read any other genre. In some cases it may take even more.

It also has to do with the type of fantasy in question, though.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:48 pm
I would say they are partially disrespected because some people just do not want to admit that fantasy books are good.  

TribesmanGaming

4,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100

I Am THE Vampire Of All

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:06 pm
First of all, I have the same exact opinion as Dragon Dream Seeker. And I also think fantasy is disrespected. But that's only because of my dad. He hates fantasy books, but will never push me to read a book once I say no. And luckily, none of my friends like fantasy books, and my mom only reads books in russian and I can't read russian.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:21 am
I believe they are, and the people who read them. If I go to a bookstore and go to the Fiction section, people stare at me and wonder, "What is a girl that age doing there" (I read adult fiction). If I were to go to the nonfiction section, they would assume I was doing a research project.  

Mikiela

Da_Nuke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:52 am
I can blame 3 different things: mainstream books like Eragon, people who think it's infantile, and people who think it's for nerds. Pretty much the same as anime. Fantasy is so awesome, yet so misunderstood, even though there's much worse s**t out there. One of my aunts likes to read these fluffy romance novels. One day, I decided to take a look out of curiosity, and ended up feeling like hurling. stressed But well, let's consider that she reads those stupid tabloids where you don't even know if what you read is true.

So, the thing is: fantasy is as much of a misunderstood genre as anime.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:14 pm
portofships
I suppose I should have explained myself better. I don't hate Twilight, I actually like it. I just hate the ridiculous fandom. That's all. mrgreen
No joke. Can we say Lord of the Rings? stare

Hey, don't knock LOTR. I rather enjoyed them, but then again thatsthe area of Fantasy I like. Magic, Dragons, and Sorcery are all good and fine, but I find the just seems to be lacking if there isn't at least one if not more good battles.  

Seth64616

450 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

fjng fbghfkbgif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:08 am
I was told just the other day, that i should read a "real" book. A friends mum, this was who told me fantasy was rubbish and that i should real life stories and learn something educational. I was very offended. stare It's not that I don't read any other kinds of books, it's just that I can't quite keep myself interested to the point where i'll buy the series.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:27 am
I just read every sing post thoroughly in this topic. I can only draw up my on opinion about it all. I shall dispense it now:

About your book club thing, I was utterly appauled. If you have to read their type of books, why not them read your type of books? I mean, really. A large variety of reading material is a very good thing. That way, you're not reading the same genre over and over again. I read some romance novels. Most of the once I have read are sickening because they're just about sex. Not all romance novels are like that, I know. But still the same, I can see a reason why you don't respect it as much as you do fantasy. Also, there are so many dull books out there, I cannot keep count. I find that the books you and your friend suggested where excellent choices that should not have been shut down. The least your teacher could have done was investigate the book and not automatically disaprove of it.

My family and friends have no problem with the books I read. Mostly because I read in a lot of the genres, but mostly fantasy. If they did have a problem with it, I would simply explain that they just don't have the same taste in reading material as I do and they should keep their mouth shut before I say something about what they are interested in reading.

I agreed and at the same time, disagreed with Candy. Yet, I found most of that discussion a pitifull argument. I think it would have been better for her to just give you her opinion and ask for the whole story of what happened before blasting at you for putting down the romance novels.

I frankly could care less about what other people think about what I like to read. It's their loss, not mine.

-Manawhal-

chessiejo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:21 am
fantasy is a genre, like romance, detective, western, and so on.

some books within a genre can become classics, simply because like all good literature they are well written, evocative, use language well, intrigue us, use lively characters, and honor our intellect.

i can honestly say that i have read in all these genres and found something to n=enjoy in each.

i can also honestly say that most of the time an author abuses my intellect and my trust, employs a sterile formula, uses overworn language and characterization, and disappoints.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:24 am
portofships
My friends and I all go to book club at our school. I really like it, because I enjoy discussing books with other people who are as widely read as I am. There is only one problem. The teacher who runs book club flat out REFUSES to read a fantasy book. She is so...not flexible, even contemporary fiction, but not necessarily fantasy, gets shot down. Today were were deciding on our next book, and we fought hard to get a book we wanted, with little success. She and the grade 11 members of book club kept shooting down our ideas. When they suggested books such as "True Believer" "Shopaholic and Baby" and "Marie Antoinette" my friend said that she didn't like the type of books they were suggesting and found it hard to read them. The teacher replied with "Oh, that's right, you like to read books about DRAGONS! and SORCERERS!" and then she slapped the table and laughed at her, as if it was the funniest thing in the world, the grade 11s and librarian also laughing. My friend got uncomfortable and slightly embarassed. That...JERK made her feel nerdy and stupid, just because she would rather read a fantasy epic than a gushy, soap-operaish romance or a girly fluff book. My friend and I are thinking of starting a Fantasy/Sci-Fi club, because we are sick of getting excluded and ridiculed in the current one.

So, I ask you this, is fantasy less respected than other genres? Is fantasy looked upon as nerdy and lame, and are people who liked it looked upon as nerdy and lame?

Yes it is looked down upon by others especially like ppl you just described. Some ppl are too stuck up and superficial to even try reading fantasy. mad And your teacher and librarian sound like complete and total jerks who need to get their heads out of those stupid traditional books for girls and learn how to be more optimistic and read other things. scream  

jingle bear

jingle bear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:32 am
Da_Nuke
I can blame 3 different things: mainstream books like Eragon, people who think it's infantile, and people who think it's for nerds. Pretty much the same as anime. Fantasy is so awesome, yet so misunderstood, even though there's much worse s**t out there. One of my aunts likes to read these fluffy romance novels. One day, I decided to take a look out of curiosity, and ended up feeling like hurling. stressed But well, let's consider that she reads those stupid tabloids where you don't even know if what you read is true.

So, the thing is: fantasy is as much of a misunderstood genre as anime.

Do you know anything about Eragon? scream It is perhaps one of the best books I have ever read! scream Yes fantasy books are awesome but don't discriminate against other genres of books. I'm not saying that I like those fluff novels because I don't but you shouldn't discrimnate against them. Also do not blame Eragon for the idiots who discriminate against fantasy. stressed  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 am
i think alot of people just dont take the chance to try fantasy .... Alot of adults when they find out i read ask like wut do you usually read and when i say fantasy its like "oh .... um thats nice" and I am not saying every adult does that but a few do. And barely anyone near me reads, they only do when they like have to in class or something. But i dont know maybe fantasy is disrespected .... but i guess it all depends who and where you are  

pirateninjahero

bookfanatic1991

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:10 pm
Not all the time my mom said I should read all kinds of books but she never scolds me for reading fantasy books.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff