Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
London bombed. the police lied. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

girl_no_13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:28 pm
I know what people mean about all the fuss only happening because this has happened in London, nobody would care if it was the capital of Romania, Haiti, anywhere really, nobody would care. But then again, Britain is hosting the G8 meetings, it is pretty important right now.
Oddly I have got more shocked as time has passed, now it doesnt seem real, like its happening in a book or a film, but I think that just says something about my lifestyle- too much escapism.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:33 pm
girl_no_13
I know what people mean about all the fuss only happening because this has happened in London, nobody would care if it was the capital of Romania, Haiti, anywhere really, nobody would care. But then again, Britain is hosting the G8 meetings, it is pretty important right now.
Oddly I have got more shocked as time has passed, now it doesnt seem real, like its happening in a book or a film, but I think that just says something about my lifestyle- too much escapism.

No, I think everyone does that.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Zoutout

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:52 pm
I tend to just skip the real feeling bit altogether, really.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:37 pm
For those of you who dont know I work in america over thye summers as a sailing instructor and american coverage of this was a ******** joke.

they would spend five minutes talking about London and then switch to some random american city for half an hour to discuss what precautions they are taking. The news networks were portraying it as an american event.  

mattyp

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:37 am
mattyp
For those of you who dont know I work in america over thye summers as a sailing instructor and american coverage of this was a ******** joke.

they would spend five minutes talking about London and then switch to some random american city for half an hour to discuss what precautions they are taking. The news networks were portraying it as an american event.

Now I know why we have people sodomising my poor thread with "Yes, we [Americans] must help them!"...etc..  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:58 am
mattyp

Welcome to America gonk

"What do you mean everything isn't about *US*?! How dare you suggest such a thing!"  

Freakish

2,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Blurred Intelligence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:27 am
Two peices of interesting but useless information are that the london bombing was 911 days after 9/11 and it was on the 07/07/2005 (2+5=7).  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:24 am
Takazlemi
Two peices of interesting but useless information are that the london bombing was 911 days after 9/11 and it was on the 07/07/2005 (2+5=7).

Actually it was approximately 1400 days later.  

Fourcolour

Blurred Intelligence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:48 am
Fourcolour
Takazlemi

Actually it was approximately 1400 days later.

Your probably right.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:13 pm
9/11 2001 - start of 2002 = 111
Start of 2002 - start of 2003 = 365
Start of 2003 - 2004 = 365
Start of 2004 - 2005 = 366
Start of 2005 - 7th July (7/7) = 189

Total = 1396 days  

Zoutout

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:31 pm
Can I take issue with your signature Tommy? If we pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan prematurely the terrorists have succeeded in their objective.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:33 pm
I hope they arent going in too much for symbolism. I'd be worried about the whole 8 thing then. (G8, 8 attacks. hopefully that wont happen though we have got of rather lightly.)  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Tsamikayu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:41 pm
It was very unlikely that this was because of the Olympics, because this had to have been meticulously planned. The announcement had only been made the day before, something like that, no one could organise something that big, that quickly, or at least certainly not an amateur terrorist group. Whatever, it just doesn't look likely.

It's more likely that it was because of the G8 summit. I suppose they figured that with all eyes on Gleneagles, no one would be paying as much attention to London. Just my theory, I can't back it up with much. What do I know, anyway?

What really angered me was George Bush putting in his tuppence worth about his so-called 'war on terrorism'. He's not fighting a war against terrorism in general, he's fighting a war against terrorism in America. I'm sure he wouldn't lift a finger to help us out in our security measures, not that we'd want his help anyway. Our emergency services responded beautifully and I don't think it could have been prevented, really, not without infringing upon the rights of commuters.

America should keep it's nose out of our business. If they want to cover what's happened, so be it, but if they only use it as an introduction to what might happen to some pathetic little town in their own country . . . well that's just pitiful. America should get it's head out of its own a** and realise that it's not all about them; true, mattyp, Freakish.

I don't feel incredibly friendly towards the American attitude to the rest of the world. Heck, they probably still call it 'London town' when it's a city. And dont get me started on what they think of Scotland . . .

'Scotland? Is that, like, a village?'

'No, it's a country. I live near Glasgow.'

'Oh, Glasgow . . . that's a village, yeah?'

*seethes* And if they ever say 'Och aye the noo' to me again I'll shove my white cane down their throat.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:29 am
I can't help but wonder what will be next? this isnt gonna be a one off thing most likly sad  

She Wrote It Hallelujah

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:05 am
She Wrote It Hallelujah
I can't help but wonder what will be next? this isnt gonna be a one off thing most likly sad

Paranoia is what they want. You're more likely to win the lottery than get caught up in this s**t. I wouldn't worry about it.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games