Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PFRC Mentoring Program
Nuri's Q&A topic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:23 pm
Here's a moral pondering: I've accually thought about this for a while, and would like to get some other thoughts on the subject.

Hospitality was very important to the anchient Greeks. Zeus was the protector of the travaler. There is even a myth on the importance of hospitality in which Zeus and Hermes pose as travalers. There was a code of behavior for not only the person offering hospitality, but the traveler as well. Unfortunatly in this time, it isn't so save to offer strange travalers hospitality in fear of that person being another BTK or Ted Bundy. How would can one, in modern times, respect the laws of hospitality, and not get ripped off, or killed in the process?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:11 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Here's a moral pondering: I've accually thought about this for a while, and would like to get some other thoughts on the subject.

Hospitality was very important to the anchient Greeks. Zeus was the protector of the travaler. There is even a myth on the importance of hospitality in which Zeus and Hermes pose as travalers. There was a code of behavior for not only the person offering hospitality, but the traveler as well. Unfortunatly in this time, it isn't so save to offer strange travalers hospitality in fear of that person being another BTK or Ted Bundy. How would can one, in modern times, respect the laws of hospitality, and not get ripped off, or killed in the process?

Interesting. I'll think on this.  

maenad nuri
Captain

patch99329

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:54 pm
I have a bit of an odd question xD

I know what is usually done with offerings of food and drink. But what would you do with other offerings after they have been offered? Such as stones, coins or jewelry? Could you still wear the jewelry for instance?

Thankie 3nodding
Patch.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:25 pm
patch99329
I have a bit of an odd question xD

I know what is usually done with offerings of food and drink. But what would you do with other offerings after they have been offered? Such as stones, coins or jewelry? Could you still wear the jewelry for instance?

Thankie 3nodding
Patch.

Wow, that was my next question, I love to cross stitch and thought that would be a good offering.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:54 pm
HA! I found somthing that may help answer our questions about non-parishable offerings:

Dictionary.com
The most widespread public act of worship in ancient Greece was sacrifice, whether of grain or the blood sacrifice of animals. Various deities sacrificed various animals specific to the god or goddesses being worshipped. Sacrifices served multiple functions: one might perform a sacrifice as the culminating act of a public religious festival, before an important undertaking to gain the assistance of the gods, or as part of a rite of passage. The temples of the Greek religion generally were not public gathering places where people gathered socially for collective indoor prayer; most temples held little more than a cult image of the deity and the accumulated votive gifts, which might amount to a treasury.
Votive gifts were offered to the gods by their worshippers. They were often given in thanks for benefits conferred by the Gods, in anticipation of future divine favors or to receive oracular advice from the god or goddess (Herodotus, 1.46). They could also be offered to propitiate the gods for crimes involving blood-guilt, impiety, or the breach of religious customs. They were kept on display in the god's sanctuary and then usually ritually discarded after a set period of time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:54 pm
^ Thats quite interesting!

Thanks very much ^_^  

patch99329

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:36 am
Amazingly, found that accidedntly looking for the spelling of some other words for a friend. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:51 pm
You know what I do with jewelry and other wearable things that I have given to the gods? I wear them. And then they are returned to the altar.

Things need to be used, imo.  

maenad nuri
Captain

patch99329

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:32 am
Nuri
You know what I do with jewelry and other wearable things that I have given to the gods? I wear them. And then they are returned to the altar.

Things need to be used, imo.

I've been doing the same with jewelry ^_^. I figured if a deity didn't like me doing that they'd let me know xD  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:58 am
Maybe a silly question, but perhaps useful for others...

Before going on a trip, I've been reading that it's appropriate (or was customary, in any case), to provide an offering to Hermes. I'm just curious, what is a good offering for him? ^^;

EDIT: Perhaps I can answer my own question! I found this website: Compendium of the Gods, by Sannion and it has a bit of information on the gods and goddesses, including "ways to honor" each! 3nodding  

Ashley the Bee

Kittori

Anxious Blob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:55 am
I always get confused about this. Is it wrong for someone who isn't of Greek decent to worship Greek gods? I always find some who say it's not respectful to worship another tradition and others who say it's alright...

I've always been fascinated by Greek mythology, but I have no background culture that links me to any traditions...x_X;

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:27 pm
Kittori
I always get confused about this. Is it wrong for someone who isn't of Greek decent to worship Greek gods? I always find some who say it's not respectful to worship another tradition and others who say it's alright...

I've always been fascinated by Greek mythology, but I have no background culture that links me to any traditions...x_X;

You can be of any culture and devote yourself to the Gods. No worries. I have not a single drop of Greek blood in me.

Ashley: Sannion is a wonderful resource, and a pretty cool dude to get to know. His resources are top-notch in my book.  

maenad nuri
Captain

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:29 pm
123NewYear.com
Lucky New Year Food in Greece
The Greek tradition of eating Vasilopita (a cake baked with a coin inside) originated from the famously high taxes that the Ottoman Empire imposed on the Greek people during the long Ottoman reign. It is believed that a Bishop of Greece, through some miracle, managed to recover a large portion of the Greek people's riches from the Ottoman's grasp. When he attempted to return the riches to their respective owners fighting among the Greek people broke out -- no one could agree on who had owned what! The second miracle of the story unveils itself here: Saint Basil asked the women to bake a large cake with the valuables inside. When he sliced the cake, the valuables miraculously found their way back to their rightful owners! Today, a cake is baked in honor of this miracle and one coin is baked inside of it. The person who bites into his piece of cake and finds the coin will be blessed with good luck in the coming New Year.

I thought this was interesting, so I posted it. =D Happy New Years.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:39 pm
Heh! Reminds me of a song I sang in middle school choir called Kalanta -- mostly because of St Basil.

I loved that song. I got to sing so damn high!  

maenad nuri
Captain

Ashley the Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:56 am
I wonder about the Underworld.

In Christianity, there's the idea of Heaven. In Kemetic beliefs, from what I understand of them at least, the afterlife is very similar to life. One works, meets people, etc...

When I read about underworld, it seems so... dreary? I dunno... ^^;  
PFRC Mentoring Program

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces