Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Starre's Sketchbook - New Picture Page 4(9/28/09) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:18 am

I'm living with false hope

And my eyes just want to see a ray of light

I'm gonna find it in my fairy tale...

I don't know why I did that... I guess to stop people from trying to steal it, since I posted the same thing outside of the guild... but yeah... I figured out a way to color the flowers that I liked... I posted it on DA. It's also in my signature.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:19 am

User Image

She has a bump on her head. D:

The flower thing kind of squishes her in that tiny little spot. Maybe leave a bit more pace for her to breather?

Try to make the shading style on the flowers more like the one on the girl. Remove the lines, and maybe make the flowers interact more with the drawing. Now it looks just like it has been stuck there for no reason.

It's coming, though. smile

Mogtoats

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:35 pm

I noticed the bump there. I'd already inked it and couldn't fix it at that point. I should have made it clearer that I didn't want crit on the lineart.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:16 pm

User Image

This is my current level, about. It's a WIP, it's not finished yet.

I'm tired of just sitting on my butt and watching everyone else be sucessful, and I want to do something now. Am I good enough?

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Lunara_moon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:50 pm

Your proportions on your characters are good. A good piece of advise I got from my art teacher was not to be afraid of making lights lighter and shadows dark. I use to struggle with highlights and shadows on the face, the more wide range of value the more depth there will be. Find a definite light source and work from there.

It is a good idea working from a reference picture during practice. To work on proportions make a grid on the reference pic and the drawing. (like color by number)

I am going to be a freshman this fall at the Columbus College of Art and design, don't be afraid that you wouldn't get accepted at an elite art school. Your art shows that you know your proportions and values. Everyones art need work.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:39 pm

I'm not applying to art school... even if my mom would let me, I wouldn't.

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:36 am

Starre257

I'm not applying to art school... even if my mom would let me, I wouldn't.
Art school is helpful, but not really needed. You can go to any school and be in the art program. That way, if you decide to change majors from art entirely, you don't have to leave schools.

A classroom environment on a college level does help your confidence in your work as you see how much you improve simply from knowing what you were doing wrong before and creating good habits.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:07 pm

User Image

This is taking me way too long... mostly because I stopped and took so long to get back to it. I think I'll be done before Tuesday...

Edit:

User Image

Finished

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:13 am

I think it came out well. You've got a very basic understanding of one point light and it's looking good. When you do your next sketch, we should talk about how to carry out the light on it before you start painting.

I think you've improved a lot since I first saw your art.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:35 pm

Thanks!

I had two sketches that I thought were good... but after putting them away fro a while and coming back to them, I realize they had serious flaws that I really didn't care enough about those particular sketches to fix. So I'm starting something new that Ive been planning for a while... I want to make this one really good. So I might post it here when I draw it for critique before I ink and color it.

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 am

Always have someone look at things before you make your lines permanent. Haha, too many people ink first and go "hey, how does it look?"
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:34 pm

Yeah... I think part of the reason is if they're really not in the mood to draw or ink, they just want to paint or color... they just draw something and ink it quickly so they can paint it. I did that sometimes...

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:54 am

Well, if you feel like that, consider speed painting with no lines. If you look around on DA I'm sure there are people mentioning how they do it.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:58 pm

Some very basic starts of pictures I'm working on, both fanart. I haven't abandoned my original characters, I'm just doing more writing than drawing with them.
User Image

This is going to be Haruhi Suzumiya at some point... a very high-energy character. My problem with this picture is that it doesn't reflect that. The hand that's up will be giving a peace sign... kind of cliche, I know, but I felt like drawing it on a whim, then got frustrated enough with it to want to ask for help.

User Image

This one is Fakir from Princess Tutu. The hand that's up is supposed to be holding a notebook. I have tried so many times and I just can't get it to look right. And I think there's also a problem with the shoulders. And probably the face, too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Anpu the black Seraph

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:44 am

Well I don't see enough done in the first sketch to really offer any suggestions.

For the second piece my first suggestion is to have a friend or family member stand in the pose your trying to draw, while you do a rough sketch for your character. It's something that helps me a lot when I cant find a reference for a drawing I'm working on. One of my favorite things to do recently is to take a picture with my camera phone of my hand in a pose I'm having trouble with. But really I could probably take a reference pic of just about anything.

From the coloring and work I saw on your previous posts, your pretty good and have a lot of potential.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff