I excel in everything else, BUT math.

"I was lonely and I needed you next to me,
life is harder since you left....."

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
Proof that asian people are weird.
Like this pic? Then....Comment my profile! ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:41 pm
Haha, I suck at math -is asian-

I hate people that think all asians are good at math, it's like they expect it from us or something rolleyes

And I agree with trueasianlove, I'm good at everything but math xDD  

O r a l F ii x a t i o n

Ladykiller

makarian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:23 pm
i like math. well, who cares is people think that all asians are good at math. each of us are good at some things and are not at others.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:21 am
Im not good at maths at all! No one on the filipino side of my family is... so I dunno whats up with that stereotype.  

alovernotafighter

Mysticfyreangel8

Fashionable Entrepreneur

6,140 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:13 am
Jelai
What's up with Asians and math??
I really hate this stereotype that all Asians are good at math and are nerds and high achievers.

Because I'm the only Asian in my school stuck in a low-level Geometry class right now. gonk
All of my other Asian friends have either Algebra honors, Pre-calculus, Calulus AP, etc.

gonk

And most of them all have higher-level classes.
They have all Honors, and are going for the Honors diploma while I'm just going for the Advanced diploma...which is at least better than the standard diploma.

But sometimes I feel so left out because I only have 3 Honors classes right now. And there was never I time I've gotten straight A's. Sometimes I came so close, but never in my life did I get straight A's.

And this is the first time this year that I've ever gotten C's on my transcript. gonk

Do you sometimes feel left out (or not >>; ) when it comes to academics and your Asian peers?

don't worry i tend to feel that way, i hated geometry sooooo much. not to mention, my school requires you to take up two years, or semesters of a language. i felt soo sad when i took chinese 2 and 3, the school changed the books on us, which ment even more vocab to learn that i didn't learn in chinese 1, i almost forgot everything i knew from chinese 1 which was a full calander year ago, and there were only 16 kids in the class, 11 out of the 16 were asian, 10 out of the 11 were chinese or part chinese.... i was the odd asian out.. crying  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:00 am
i always thought i was the only one too when it came to academics. i went to a pretty prestigious high school that was ranked nationally and everywhere i turned there was someone complaining about a less than perfect performance. one of my really good friends cried because she got a B+ in her class.

i'm one of those people that have to work extremely hard for grades but i still haven't achieved straight As since somewhere in middle school.  

Jun-Shinobu

lollerskater123321

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:54 am
I feel that way a lot. I do the same thing stereotypical asians do. SATS at early age, piano etc. But I can never do it as good. 2 of my chinese friends (i'm chinese to) are math freaks and I suck at math. i only recently got into Honors English. My grades are okay maybe 1 B+ but never lower than a B.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:12 am
Actually, I pretty much think that math is boring. And I agree with Dark_Angel, almost every single Asian I know plays piano.

I think that the "Asians kick butt at math" stereotype comes from the fact that with Asian immigrant kids who can't speak English well, math is the only subject that requires minimal English knowledge to excel in. They don't call math the universal language for nothing. Which is why all the Asian kids in my grade (all born in Asia, not in the States like me) flunked out of the spelling bees early while I went on to the Nationals in Washington, D.C.!!
rofl That's one advantage of being American: some things about the English language can't sink in when you're speed learning.  

Ceyon

Chinese Chami

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:27 pm
Sometimes I feel left out because I am THE smartest in all my classes, and I'm in the Gifted program. Last term I got straight A+'s, so I feel left out in the sense that my friends don't all love reading and math. >_> Go figure. But hey, if you're asian, you can do better! Just... hit the books. biggrin But my friends (Asian) like the things I do in school, but... they don't like learning as much as I do. And my other friends (non- asian) are happy getting C's. So... <_>

Hey. I'm a Grade A nerd. LOL. I like all subjects, and I'm top of class in all of them except Gym. But gym shmym. I never have to take it again after this year!!! I was born in Canada, but my family drilled me on math until I liked it *sob* and became 1337 at it. LOL.

Call me a weirdo. If on a test I get anything BUT 100% I'm disappointed and I cry.

I've never gotten anything lower than an A in all my subjects. A- are unacceptable!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:46 pm
ChineseChami, you sound like my mom: "A- is unacceptable!" xd I don't really care whether or not I'm the smartest. You just worry about yourself, and let the other people around you worry about themselves. I have a lot of talents, I suppose, but I'm most talented in foreign languages. For Spanish, I have never studied for a single quiz or test, and I have a 101% in that class pretty much all the time. I just sit down and listen, or I read something in Spanish. It's insanely easy for me, and I don't know why. Maybe it's because I never forget a single vocabulary word. It would be really cool if I could be a translator or something along those lines one day....  

Ceyon

paddle-pop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:15 am
man, i suck at my secondary 3 topics, but good at sec 4 topics. the only thing im bad in maths is,...TRIGONOMETRY !! xp ...  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:48 pm
I got a 88.60 in math that a B+ but im really a science person got a 97.40 that an A+ ^_^  

YUMMI SunBUn

XxDarkkstarrxX

Friendly Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:38 pm
i'm not too good in math sweatdrop
i'm considered the "different" azn cuz i play sports, flunk math, science, and computer science, and excel at english >_<
stereotypes piss me off, and i do my best to prove them wrong (not that i try to get Bs/Cs in math, comp sci, and sci)  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:45 pm
I'm failing Math...
So I guess that it's official...
NOT ALL ASIANS ARE GOOD AT MATH...
xD...

.Mikemo Cat-Boy

Kempana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:52 pm
.Mikemo Cat-Boy
I'm failing Math...
So I guess that it's official...
NOT ALL ASIANS ARE GOOD AT MATH...