Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
Ignorant--Just what IS the difference between goth and emo? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Goth
  Emo
  Neither
  Just as confused as A.C.
View Results

MediaclCunt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:00 pm
unibrowgirl
listen to the song. see if that helps.

emo kid by adam and andrew

if it doesnt, goths are cooler.

im an emo kid myself. that's who i am.
(plus there are less of us)
Nowadays there's more. Why do you think Hot Topic changed their stores? To keep up with fastly growing Emo and Scene trend.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:34 pm
Tusyo
Gothic is an artistic way of life, from the darkside. It's seeing the darker side of things, and taking pleasure in that darkness.

Emo people are people who were spoiled as children who are over sensitive to the hardships of life and are easily depressed. Most often consider suicide at a young age.

hey! i gots proof of that!!

these girls, back when i was in third and fourth grade, in '98 or '99, were talking about trying to kill themselves with kitchen knives!
it was a very interesting conversation to overhear. and now i go look at their myspace pages, because i dont know them anymore, and they are emo/emo poser.
tsk tsk.  

mechanical kitsy

tragikk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:26 am
Goths listen to Goth Rock, Darkwave and Deathrock.
Goth first began in the 80s, it evolved from Post Punk.
There are several theories as to why it was given the name "goth"
Industrial, EBM, Electro - Industrial... any genres that have been influenced by Goth are NOT goth but they are STILL awesome. xD

Emos listen to Emocore, (or if you're pretentious Emotive hardcore or Emotionally charged Hardcore Punk) Old Screamo isn't Emo but newer screamo has Emo Influences.
Emo is bands like Jimmy Eat World.

MCR IS NOT EMO!! Lol.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:31 am
-Resurrected Writer-
Well if this helps you at all,
The basic foundation of goth is listening to bands like:
Bauhaus
Joy Division
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Sex Gang Children
The Cure
Cinema Strange
Christian Death
Switchblade Symphony
The Cruxshadows
Voltaire

and having an interest in/being involved in the goth community.

The basic foundation of emo is listening to bands like:
Rites of Spring
City of Caterpillar
Embrace
Moss Icon
Heroin
Jimmy Eat World (some of their stuff, though most of it is pop rock)
Cap'n Jazz

and beyond that, I don't know if there is such thing as an emo community.

As for personalities, a lot of goths tend to appreciate darker, misunderstood, or deep ideals of life - death, romance, and other various philosophies. They also tend to be pretty creative, and believe-it-or-not, a lot of goths are actually happier than most "normal" people (probably because we feel very accepted within each other)

The emo personality I'm not quite as sure of, as well. My best bet for that is that they are much more at ease with conveying their feelings (the whole range, not just angst) than most people. Also - like goths - emo is a very introverted style of music, which separates it from the extroverted, aggressive world of punk rock which it sprang from.

I wrote a blog thingy on Goth and Emo. Describing what they actually are, on my... er.. Bebo blog.
^^

I'm not actually a Goth myself, but I like lots of the music.
I heard someone say once though, that the Goth community is all about being accepted, having different interests, different styles, ect, but being bought together by the music.
Very romanticized, but what do you think of that?

tragikk

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:10 am
You know what's really silly? I had to explain the difference between Goth and Emo this week to my class.
My UNIVERSITY class of ADULTS.

What a waste of my class time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:41 pm
spooky_sez
You know what's really silly? I had to explain the difference between Goth and Emo this week to my class.
My UNIVERSITY class of ADULTS.

What a waste of my class time.

I once had to explain the difference between a goth and myself to a college class. It ended up consisting of Goth = Witty put downs, Me = Rip your arm off and beat you to death with the soggy ends.  

Rellik San
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:46 am
tragikk
I heard someone say once though, that the Goth community is all about being accepted, having different interests, different styles, ect, but being bought together by the music.

Very romanticized, but what do you think of that?

As I've long mentioned, there's no single definition of goth. There's no universally agreed standard.

What you've brought forth is a pretty popular opinion on the subject, one that had it's roots in the 90's. Many oversimplify the phrase as something along the lines of "goth is a state of mind".

As said, it's one of the more broadly accepted definitions, though, it isn't the only one.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:32 pm
Shattenhund
I think the main difference between goth and emo is more than just musik, I think it has more to deal with the mindset itself. Emo mindsets are just that- Emotiononal, as in more of a depressionary state, not just about oneself but about all surrounding issues. A gothic mindset is emotional, by dictionary definition, but is much more radical, sometimes more angry, than depressionary. That also explains the different styles of musik.

Those are my thoughts on the subject. I've been around both cults enough to naturally tell the difference, so I don't really anylize it that much anymore.

If anything, goths are calmer about the world than emos.

An emo kid gets happy and says "HELL ******** YES." They get sad and they go "******** s**t THIS SUCKS." They're more... intense? Moody. It's not a bad thing, it's emotional. Hence emo.

Goth kids are like, "here, this is great, but I'll wait a few hours to decide if it's worth being happy or sad over." They're calmer.

Other than that, and difference in music, the fashion can be very similar, as well as interests, etc. Many teenagers could go from being "emo" during their teen years to being "goths" as adults.

I've also noticed that goths focus more on rationality. Think with your brain first. Emos put their hearts before their heads.

At least, that's what it comes off as being to me, IMO. Doesn't make either superior or inferior. They're just slightly different.

Although, if I were to identify as Emo, people would talk s**t, and if I try to identify as Goth, people don't believe me. Usually I'm stuck as a "metalhead."

Which is true. XD
But I'm still goth too. ^_~
And I've been emotional. But not necessarily emo.  

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:29 pm
Simim
Shattenhund
I think the main difference between goth and emo is more than just musik, I think it has more to deal with the mindset itself. Emo mindsets are just that- Emotiononal, as in more of a depressionary state, not just about oneself but about all surrounding issues. A gothic mindset is emotional, by dictionary definition, but is much more radical, sometimes more angry, than depressionary. That also explains the different styles of musik.

Those are my thoughts on the subject. I've been around both cults enough to naturally tell the difference, so I don't really anylize it that much anymore.

If anything, goths are calmer about the world than emos.

An emo kid gets happy and says "HELL ******** YES." They get sad and they go "******** s**t THIS SUCKS." They're more... intense? Moody. It's not a bad thing, it's emotional. Hence emo.

Goth kids are like, "here, this is great, but I'll wait a few hours to decide if it's worth being happy or sad over." They're calmer.

Other than that, and difference in music, the fashion can be very similar, as well as interests, etc. Many teenagers could go from being "emo" during their teen years to being "goths" as adults.

I've also noticed that goths focus more on rationality. Think with your brain first. Emos put their hearts before their heads.

At least, that's what it comes off as being to me, IMO. Doesn't make either superior or inferior. They're just slightly different.

Although, if I were to identify as Emo, people would talk s**t, and if I try to identify as Goth, people don't believe me. Usually I'm stuck as a "metalhead."

Which is true. XD
But I'm still goth too. ^_~
And I've been emotional. But not necessarily emo.

So it amounts to emo's.... Whiney, Reactionary little bitches.... yes I can say that as I own the emo guild.

Goths... very understated.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:12 am
Rellik San

So it amounts to emo's.... Whiney, Reactionary little bitches.... yes I can say that as I own the emo guild.

Understated as in they're more emotional, or less emotional, than what I stated?

Because, you know, I could make some sort of correlation between being as pale as the dead and being as emotional as the dead... XD  

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:44 pm
Simim
Rellik San

Understated as in they're more emotional, or less emotional, than what I stated?

Because, you know, I could make some sort of correlation between being as pale as the dead and being as emotional as the dead... XD
Less emotional, instead preffering a more constructive emotional release.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:39 pm
tooo many words simple answer:

goth= different , content, and usually intellectual

emo= unhappy, different in a way to seek attention, and sometimes smart but missunderstood usually leading to cutting or damaging their own bodies  

Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:40 pm
ohh and their both dark usually at least im a dark goth  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:41 pm
but not like evil dark just kinda dark when u understand bad things r happining tht u cant really stop  

Miss Hepburn

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:31 pm
simple answer:

goth= darker reflective psychedelic post-punk music

emo= reflective nonviolent hardcore punk music

there both supposedly highly reflective and known for being largely non-violent.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff