Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Live 8 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:26 am
ice_illusion
A lot of those jobs are jobs that we would not want to do. Many of those jobs are in call centres or factorys.

They are still jobs to pay the bills. Also, it is not just manufacturing and services, the R&D market is in decline as well. Are you suggesting that the R&D and IT sectors are unimportant?

ice_illusion
The concerts were to raise awareness and pressure has been put onto the G8 leaders.

Yes, but the media coverage of the event simplifies matters to the point of banality.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:30 am
An increase in tax would be needed to double aid. An increase of less than £1 year. Its not much. And Im pretty sure that it would not affect the vote unless it was in the favour of the government who introduced this. There was a debate about this on channel 4 a while back. We had to watch it for english. They had a phone/text in vote and 99% of people were for it. It is a lot less money than is commenly thought.

On subsidies: My mum is a farmer. I know what would happen if all subsidies were removed.
It would also be difficult to get African farmers to get subsidies. The paperwork is unbeliveable. There is hundreds of pages of it.
My mum had to make an appeal. This involved writing a report the thickness of a phone book. It just wouldnt be possible to do this in Africa.
Actually if the government was to lower the amount of paperwork needed they could have less people working for them and save money. The money could be used for aid and there should be some left over for the NHS.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Vanilla Pod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:41 pm
I was there, rock. As far as pointfulness - I think it's good, but it's hardly the solution.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:41 pm
Tommy Vox
Also i dont think you can call keane, coldplay, Robbie Williams, joss stone, the killers and so on aging rock-stars. cool

You can however, call them not very good.
(Sorry, musn't let my musical elitism show...)
gonk  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:50 pm
Iguana, I agree with what you're saying for the most part. However, even though it is a complex issue, it still has to be adressed. In order to raise public support and awareness, however, the issue has to be simplified and brought to a human level. And yes, of course the banner "make poverty history" is completely stupid, because being a relative concept, poverty will always exist unless we live in a united Communist world (which wouldn't be a bad idea, actually.) But it's a damn sight beter for publicity than "provide basic services to everyone as long as it is possible without having to impose regime change" would be.

Oh, and, thought you might all like to know, in order to provide every single person in the world with basic services it would take 4% of the annual income of the 225 richest people in the world. Of course, that's probably excluding the massive amount of paperwork necessary to actually arrange it smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:56 pm
Yeah, it does need to be simplified for most people. The sad thing is, most people could understand the issues if they only had the attention span to listen to something that wasn't a carefully constructed soundbite.  

Fourcolour

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:14 pm
You have to get people interested in an issue, and THEN try to explain the fine details.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:15 pm
I was so dissapointed, I was unable to go to the one in Philidelphia...
And I am mad, Keane played in london, and I didn't see them... crying I think I may die now...  

TheLoneBassist46

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:22 am
whapcapn
Tommy Vox
Also i dont think you can call keane, coldplay, Robbie Williams, joss stone, the killers and so on aging rock-stars. cool

gonk
the only oneout of them all i dont like is joss stone.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:19 am
Tommy Vox
whapcapn
Tommy Vox

gonk
the only oneout of them all i dont like is joss stone.

The majority of them I don't mind either but Joss Stone is bloody terrible.

Dude, we agree on something! High five? biggrin  

Fourcolour

davidcrossfan06

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:52 am
Ares
Geldof is the shiz. Seriously.

Why do only certain people realise this?! I don't get it.

I mean, at the Brits, he got that award for some bullshit like 'individual contribution to music'. He's written two barely mediocre songs that some people know, and can't sing to save his life. Full props 'n' all for the whole Bono-alike saving-the-world-from-evil-political-fatcats, but he's a s**t musician.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:02 am
j0sef
Ares
Geldof is the shiz. Seriously.

Why do only certain people realise this?! I don't get it.

I mean, at the Brits, he got that award for some bullshit like 'individual contribution to music'. He's written two barely mediocre songs that some people know, and can't sing to save his life. Full props 'n' all for the whole Bono-alike saving-the-world-from-evil-political-fatcats, but he's a s**t musician.

Get the best of the Boomtown Rats. He's far from a hugely significant influence on music today, but he's not s**t either.

I find it a little ironic that he used to b***h about political bands, then proceeded to politicise musicians when it suited him though. smile  

Fourcolour

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:59 am
The only good acts at Hyde Park were The Who and Velvet Revolver  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:05 am
and_solo_said

But...but...Pink Floyd?
They 0wnz3d. Truly.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:12 am
whapcapn
and_solo_said

But...but...Pink Floyd?
They 0wnz3d. Truly.

Not really my thing...But Slash was on fire  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games