Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:00 pm
NightIntent
Maze353
NightIntent
Well, The High King's Tomb is finally out. I love the cover. The horse on it is just so pretty. However, I won't be reading the book for another year or so. Why? Because it's in freaking hardcover. Two books and she gets a hardcover edition? There're better authors who have to wait 'til their sixth or seventh book before they get a hardcover. The book's just not worth $25 to me, so I'll just wait until it's down to $8 or whatever.

I agree completely. But hell I've waited this long for the book. Whats 1 more year? stare .....maybe the library... do I dare to hope?

Has anyone read The High King's Tomb yet?

Exactly. It's been like four years, why not just push it to an even five? I should check if the library has it... but I just don't care enough right now.

Exactly, she took too long. My inital enthusiam died...years ago. Though, I'm sure when I start reading I'll be quickly sucked in. I do love her work.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:15 am
Maze353
NightIntent
Maze353
NightIntent
Well, The High King's Tomb is finally out. I love the cover. The horse on it is just so pretty. However, I won't be reading the book for another year or so. Why? Because it's in freaking hardcover. Two books and she gets a hardcover edition? There're better authors who have to wait 'til their sixth or seventh book before they get a hardcover. The book's just not worth $25 to me, so I'll just wait until it's down to $8 or whatever.

I agree completely. But hell I've waited this long for the book. Whats 1 more year? stare .....maybe the library... do I dare to hope?

Has anyone read The High King's Tomb yet?

Exactly. It's been like four years, why not just push it to an even five? I should check if the library has it... but I just don't care enough right now.

Exactly, she took too long. My inital enthusiam died...years ago. Though, I'm sure when I start reading I'll be quickly sucked in. I do love her work.

My enthusiasm died during First Rider's Call. I loved Green Rider, but First Rider's Call was a bit iffy for me. Some of the things that happened in it just didn't make sense to me. The High King's Tomb is kind of a last chance for me for this series. If it's either wrose than First Rider's Call or doesn't make me want to read the next one, I won't read the next one. Especially if the next one takes four more years to write.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:23 pm
All I remember is that I loved Green Rider. I don't recall much about First Rider's Call so I should probably read it again (& Green Rider). Though I didn't like the thing going on with the king & Karagan. Its almost as though she stuck it in there just because. Though I did like that fact that she was realistic about the chances of nobility marrying a commoner.

This book better be worth the wait.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:32 pm
Yeah, the fact that she didn't have Karigan marry either the king or Alton was good. ('Though I don't like how she handled the Alton situation. Now they can't even be friends.) Alton being in love with Karigan, I could see. He spent time with her, knew her, etc. The king didn't. He talked to her a few times in the first book, and almost not at all in the second. How did he fall in love with her? Oh, because she criticized him the first time she really met him. Hm. That makes sense.

take this with a grain of salt, but I read some reviews on Amazon a week after it came out. Most of htem said that The High King's Tomb seemed kinda like a filler book, and nothing actually got solved or anything. That also made me kinda wary of wasting the money on the hardcover book. Filler books aren't worth buying in hardcover, unless I'm in love with the series. So far, this isn't a good enough series for that for me.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:25 pm
NightIntent
Yeah, the fact that she didn't have Karigan marry either the king or Alton was good. ('Though I don't like how she handled the Alton situation. Now they can't even be friends.) Alton being in love with Karigan, I could see. He spent time with her, knew her, etc. The king didn't. He talked to her a few times in the first book, and almost not at all in the second. How did he fall in love with her? Oh, because she criticized him the first time she really met him. Hm. That makes sense.

take this with a grain of salt, but I read some reviews on Amazon a week after it came out. Most of htem said that The High King's Tomb seemed kinda like a filler book, and nothing actually got solved or anything. That also made me kinda wary of wasting the money on the hardcover book. Filler books aren't worth buying in hardcover, unless I'm in love with the series. So far, this isn't a good enough series for that for me.

I think the king bit was in there just to add angst to the story or something. I hope she fixes the relationship between Alton & Karigan, those two made a good team. Though she pretty much killed it (& backed a car over it repeatedly) in Call.

Tomb had better not be filler. I didn't wait 4 years for filler stare .  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:00 pm
Well, the king part definitely added a bit of extra drama. And yeah, I don't think Alton and Karigan's relationship is salvageable at this point, without some pretty major, mostly unbelievable event or character change for one or both.

I agree. A filler book that took that long to write would annoy me. And apparently, Britain (apparently) also said that she sees no end in sight and plans to let the series go until it's complete, no matter how long that takes. That kinda makes me nervous. If she gets free rein with the series, I don't even want to know how long the series might go on for.

In a way, I sorta wish she'd left it at Green Rider. It wasn't the most satisfying ending, but it was still a great stand-alone book. All this fuss about more books, and waiting forever in between books, is a bit ridiculous.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 pm
I hate it when the author adds drama for drama's sake. It is annoying.
I wouldn't be suprised if Alton & Karigan end up enemies now.

On the one had Rider was excellent as a stand alone book. On the other, the story has potential for more (and I would like to know what happens!). But if she drags this on and on it could be ruined.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:27 pm
Yeah, drama with a reason isn't so bad, but just tossing it in makes no sense.

I can actually see Britain using Alton as a way for Karigan's enemies to somehow get to her. Or her enemies somehow completely turning Alton against her.

That's true. I really hope she doesn't entirely ruin the series by dragging it out longer than necessary.  

NightIntent
Captain

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:37 pm
The trade paperback of the third book comes out on November 4th.

Why can't this book be like almost every other and go from hardcover to regular paperback? neutral I'm not getting it in trade paperback.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:47 pm
Why are so many books coming out in trade paperbacks now? What is wrong with the regular ones?  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:48 pm
They cost more money so that companies and/or authors get more money for them? Who knows. I like regular paperbacks. They're easier to carry around. And cheaper.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:21 pm
NightIntent
They cost more money so that companies and/or authors get more money for them? Who knows. I like regular paperbacks. They're easier to carry around. And cheaper.

I like paperbacks too. They take up less space on my shelf as well.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

ANARA Airlyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:49 pm
What are trade paper backs?? And I seriously hope the series doesn't drag on, but it says on the DAW website that her contract for the series has been furthered to have 3 or more books. ^.^  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:20 pm
ANARA Airlyn
What are trade paper backs?? And I seriously hope the series doesn't drag on, but it says on the DAW website that her contract for the series has been furthered to have 3 or more books. ^.^

Trade paperbacks are the bigger paperbakcs that cost around $15.

I saw that, too. It makes me a bit edgy. The series definitely doesn't seem like it could stretch on for three more books, even without having read the third book. She didn't have any news about the fourth, though, huh? That was a bit annoying. All she had was, "I'm working on it" in an update a few months ago.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:47 pm
She did a reading from the fourth book Malvorn Shadows or something like that. I finally read the 3rd book. It was ok. It didn't really seem to do much for the series overall.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff