Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
The Bookstore Dilemma Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blaz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:54 am
It's really weird buying BL at book stores because I like really graphic things and I get so self-conscious when there are people around...I skull around stalking the shelves until I see that no one's there and then I grab whatever and make a run for the cash register....and that's even more awkward.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:12 pm
Duckysushi
I don't know WHY I haven't been looked at wierd for getting shonen-ai/VERY SLASHY PERVERTED books. Almost everyone's Mormon! I mean really! D:

Er... Even though I'd probably get stared at for getting, say, Air Gear. I could probably OPEN AND YAOI BOOK IN THE CASHIERS FACE and only get looked at for "Why did you do that?" and not "OMGZ GAY MEN. GETTIT OFF."

: DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
I'm gonna amuse myself with images of a cashier yelling "OMGZ GAY MEN. GETTIT OFF" in chatspeak for a moment.

... : D Okeydokey.

I remember the weirdest look I got when reading manga was when I was skimming through FAKE.

"A manga about cops? Weird."

Ahahaha.  

Kitsune-chi

Duckysushi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:37 pm
Kitsune-chi
Duckysushi
I don't know WHY I haven't been looked at wierd for getting shonen-ai/VERY SLASHY PERVERTED books. Almost everyone's Mormon! I mean really! D:

Er... Even though I'd probably get stared at for getting, say, Air Gear. I could probably OPEN AND YAOI BOOK IN THE CASHIERS FACE and only get looked at for "Why did you do that?" and not "OMGZ GAY MEN. GETTIT OFF."

I'm gonna amuse myself with images of a cashier yelling "OMGZ GAY MEN. GETTIT OFF" in chatspeak for a moment.

I remember the weirdest look I got when reading manga was when I was skimming through FAKE.

Ahahaha.

Okay. Now that would be so amusing to see a cashier yell in chatspeak. XD

Hah.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:57 pm
I never buy yaoi because my dad is a very snoopy person and I don't want him knowing I like it. (It's hard enough to hide PetShop of Horrors from him and the Gravitation volumes my neighbour lends my sister.) But there was this one time I was at Books-A-Million, and I know Princess Princess isn't a yaoi, but as soon as I set it down some guy picked it up and held onto it. I thought nothing of it until I noticed the stack he had consisted of Princess Princess, Gravitation, Loveless, FAKE, and a few others that I couldn't see the title of. x]

Kitsune Bara

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:28 pm
Duckysushi
Kitsune-chi
Duckysushi

Ahahaha.

Hah.
I actually pictured a cashier with the speech bubble coming out like on Gaia.

I am clearly on Gaia too much.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:03 pm
Kitsune-chi
Duckysushi
Kitsune-chi
Duckysushi

Ahahaha.

Hah.

Yes you are. I'm just imagining him saying it...  

Duckysushi

Nellynae

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:02 pm
Heh, I'm having fun reading all of this. x3

I'm only a bit paranoid when my mom's around (dad doesn't go). I remember one time I was at the cafe in my favorite store, sitting across from her when I first read Lost Boys. Heh, most of it's pretty tame, but the side story made me go like "holy crap -! whee heart " and when she asked about my sudden outburst I just shook my head violently and she went back to her magazine. x)
Another time I was in the manga section and I ran into an a guy friend of mine, and we talked and walked and I picked up Il Gatto Sul Gi to look at.... Then this happened:

me: *squeal*
him: What is that anyway?
me: *goes into "sorry, can't hear ya'" mode* Eh...? 4laugh
him: *That's a yaoe isn't it? (Seriously, he said "ya-o-eh")
me: stare It's "yaoi", you idiot! scream
him: *grin* Aha! You do know what it is! You're so baaad....
me: Aw heck...

Heh, I just smacked him upside the head and we walked and talked some more like it was no big deal.
Whoa... so many smilies.... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:41 pm
XD I just grab whatever BL I like, no matter of the cover. My uncle usually comes with me and I dare to just show him the covers, he doesn't seem to have a problem with it and I don't really notice any odd stares from anyone, if I'm receiving any that is.  

[L-Toxicated]

SilverMaple
Crew

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:04 am
WTF, I'm a Kinokuniya member, do they give discounts for the T-shirts with the card? eek

Anyways... About yaoi, I'm actually pretty shy about buying them, but I toughen up anyway. I just feel weird because all the otaku nerds are around me reading their shonen manga and I am slowly inching towards the yaoi books. ninja

I just love it, because where I live, I could pass off as an 18-year old, even though I'm 16. whee heart So I bought Kizuna, and the cash lady didn't even say anything, just scanned the price, took my discount card, and gave it to me! XDDD Even though on the back cover is this drawing of Ranmaru and Kei in bondage chains... Oh yesh... xd

I'm trying to work up the courage to buy the second volume of Kizuna, with a back cover even more suggestive than the first one... I wanted to buy Yellow, but I don't want to push my luck... sweatdrop

But damn, I was so happy! xd They don't even question it, the cashier ladies are so nice! One thing I have to look after is when my dad comes with me to use my discount card. He pays for my manga when he's there, and he keeps asking me what is the manga I buy and I try to hide most of the front cover with my hand... trying to make it look unintentional. He knows I'm into 'gay stuff' as he puts it, but I think it's better he doesn't know that there's 'gay' manga. xd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:58 am
I used to work at a bookstore (though at the time yaoi manga wasn't as popular as it is now, and there weren't as many that were out), so whenever I see anyone browsing the manga section, no matter WHAT they're looking at, I go into bookstore-clerk mode, and say stuff like "If you like that one, you should check out this", and stuff like that. It's happened before that I've seen people reading yaoi, but to be honest I never even thought twice about it... I just go about my recommendations, occasionally throwing in "Oh, that one's really good" and the like.  

RionaDaidouji

L e m o n pi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:56 pm
well only the ring finger knows is a great yaoi start ( its was my first and fav till this day )  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:11 pm
_Psychotic Lee_
Tear of Death
Hmmm, let me think. I went to Kinokuniya Bookstore yesterday, and all I bought was Gerard and Jaques vol 1 and 2, and Alone In My King's Harem. The guy at the cash register just smiled at me and asked if I wanted to buy the "I love yaoi" shirt as well. (I would have if I had anymore money but...)

OMG. THEY HAVE I LOVE YAOI SHIRTS AT KINOKUNIYA?
DON'T MIND ME ASKING BUT DO YOU HAPPEN TO LIVE IN SINGAPORE... *just wondering*

I'm sorry, I live in New York! Btw, SilverMaple, I don't know if they give discounts on the shirts, but if they do, tell me! I've never bought a shirt as a member, so I wouldn't know.  

sjggfjshgjfsjsj

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:58 pm
Duckysushi
Kitsune-chi
Duckysushi
Kitsune-chi
Duckysushi

Ahahaha.

Hah.

Yes you are. I'm just imagining him saying it...
*grins* Well the limit of my imagination didn't let me think of him saying "OMGZ," SO! The speech bubble was produced.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:13 pm
Well... I don't hang around the yaoi MANGA section so much anymore... But I do hang around the gay and lesbian literature section. 80% of the books are pure smut and cowboys.
So, I was standing there in front of the shelf, flipping through the COWBOYS book(it had a picture of an a** on the cover) and some guy in tie dye comes along, stands next to me, and reads what I'm reading! Then he said "wow. That's hot." and he wasn't being sarcastic. So we got into a conversation about what kinds of pairings we like. xDD  

Elaborate Testes

SilverMaple
Crew

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:09 am
Tear of Death
_Psychotic Lee_
Tear of Death
Hmmm, let me think. I went to Kinokuniya Bookstore yesterday, and all I bought was Gerard and Jaques vol 1 and 2, and Alone In My King's Harem. The guy at the cash register just smiled at me and asked if I wanted to buy the "I love yaoi" shirt as well. (I would have if I had anymore money but...)

OMG. THEY HAVE I LOVE YAOI SHIRTS AT KINOKUNIYA?
DON'T MIND ME ASKING BUT DO YOU HAPPEN TO LIVE IN SINGAPORE... *just wondering*

I'm sorry, I live in New York! Btw, SilverMaple, I don't know if they give discounts on the shirts, but if they do, tell me! I've never bought a shirt as a member, so I wouldn't know.

I will have to check it out! whee  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces