Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Mr. Dark Stories Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:09 pm
TeaDidikai
bluewolfcub
Sounds like RP taken too far eek
I think that is a key characteristic of Mr.Dark's.
Or a fantasy book. I met someone once who worshiped the Maiden/Mother/Warrior/Crone goddess. She was also being held captive and in servitude to an evil Muslim father who beat her and wouldn't allow her to go to school, but for some reason let her spend hours on the computer. She also hit on me once when she thought I was a girl she didn't know.

Mr. Dark Story. 3nodding

The most dangerous ones is where there's a scapegoat, though. I know of one person who was imprisoned and held and was almost the recipient of violence because his friends were convinced he'd been taken over by evil spirits.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:45 am
Deoridhe
Or a fantasy book. I met someone once who worshiped the Maiden/Mother/Warrior/Crone goddess. She was also being held captive and in servitude to an evil Muslim father who beat her and wouldn't allow her to go to school, but for some reason let her spend hours on the computer. She also hit on me once when she thought I was a girl she didn't know.

Mr. Dark Story. 3nodding

The most dangerous ones is where there's a scapegoat, though. I know of one person who was imprisoned and held and was almost the recipient of violence because his friends were convinced he'd been taken over by evil spirits.
Good gods. I hope they pressed charges.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:13 pm
TeaDidikai

I'm not sure, it was long before I knew him. He... well, he's one of the only otherkin I go, "Well, okay," too, and so I wait for his stories to come instead of pressing. He's like a stream under bright sun - mostly reflection with the occassional hint of depths.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:50 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

I'm not sure, it was long before I knew him. He... well, he's one of the only otherkin I go, "Well, okay," too, and so I wait for his stories to come instead of pressing. He's like a stream under bright sun - mostly reflection with the occassional hint of depths.
That brings up an interesting point-

Are Vampires, Otherkin and the like Mr. Darks unto themselves?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:51 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

I would say not automatically, but their attitude toward it is critical.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:37 pm
Would a Mr. Dark be a father who tells his child that sharks cant jump out of the water

or

A girl who says that Raven taught her how to be a warrior and that she would face great persecution for ideas

or

a guy who says that Tyr (AD&D) chose him to become a Wiccan to fight the dark druids who worship Malar (AD&D)?  

jaden kendam

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:01 pm
deadmanjake
Would a Mr. Dark be a father who tells his child that sharks cant jump out of the water

Not so much so.

deadmanjake
A girl who says that Raven taught her how to be a warrior and that she would face great persecution for ideas

Much so.

deadmanjake
a guy who says that Tyr (AD&D) chose him to become a Wiccan to fight the dark druids who worship Malar (AD&D)?

Much more so.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:43 pm
reagun ban
deadmanjake

Not so much so.

deadmanjake

Much so.

deadmanjake

Much more so.

So, Mr. Dark seems to be connected to people who can not tell the difference between role playing games or accept religious beliefs and sets themselves up as savior/persecutors?

I can not remember which person from M&R said the second one, but she also said she was a Scientologist.

And yes, the other two are real examples.  

jaden kendam

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:55 pm
deadmanjake
So, Mr. Dark seems to be connected to people who can not tell the difference between role playing games or accept religious beliefs and sets themselves up as savior/persecutors?
More the second than the first. Tends to be that the Mr. Darks are the ones who have super-secret special gifts that the gods conferred solely unto them, despite their poor theological understanding or inability to fulfill their obligation. There was one I dealt with a while back in M&R who claimed that she had an "inborn good demonic guardian" that her friend and she detected, and whose only manifestation to others was the fact that random people would not sit next to her on benches or the bus.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:48 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

I would say not automatically, but their attitude toward it is critical.

There is a lot of Mr. Dark in Otherkin communities as there is in pagan communities.

I wouldn't say they are in and of themselves, but there are different levels in the Otherkin communities just like in the Pagan communities. I.E. there are "fluffy" Otherkin that other Otherkin disparage. The fluffy Otherkin are one Mr. Dark story after another. This is also true of many Walk-Ins (anyone familiar with this, or the incarnate angel communities, etc.?) and a huge part of the New Age communities.

In small Otherkin, New Age, or Walk-In communities, groups within groups, usually, there will be cycles of apocalypse panic. I.E. one gets a feeling, or had premonitions about 9/11 (revealed after the fact of course) or whatever, and says, "I have a feeling something BAD is going to happen" or something, and then a bunch chime in, "I felt so too!" and then it gets into a huge drama. The world is going to end, something bad spiritual is going to happen, etc.

Otherkin and Walk-Ins and Indigo Children of this type often believe their souls were incarnated into their current bodies/they were given this wisdom/ability to channel/etc. BECAUSE of some major coming disaster/change/etc. Therefore, it is up to them to stop it/help humanity transition/etc.

Notably, there are segments of the Otherkin communities that look with the same attitude presented here upon "Mr. Dark" stories or whatever you want to call it. They respond to "I have a bad feeling!" with "Give it a rest." Bad-feeling Otherkin then leave the main group and pout for a while. I haven't seen much in the way of disparaging such things in Walk-In communities, though -- they seem to be all dire straits and world transition. No offense to any Walk-Ins present. xp

This is the first time I've heard a name given to this sort of thing. Personally, most of my experience with Mr. Dark is from the Christian camp.

The primary example, of course, is Signs of the Apocalypse. Just today I was talking with "our" Jehovah's Witness, and an article in the latest Awake was why God lets horrible things happen. And Emily (the JW) asked if I ever wondered why so many horrible natural disasters were happening "lately".

Now that "lately" is just a total drama to me. This goes along with various Christian factions who point out Signs of the Apocalypse such as every natural disaster that happens, or 9/11, school shootings, etc. Personally, I see these as natural occurences and human nature and don't think they're "on the rise" or anything like that, but that's not how these Christian groups see them. And, of course, the Christians with the apocalyptic attitudes see themselves as the important ones in the unfolding drama.

Does that fall under the category?

Other "Mr. Dark" stories that might show in Christianity are people under the influence of the devil, exorcisms, etc. Some of my friends have literally been given (involuntary, violent) exorcisms in the name of Christ, and I myself was told by my pastor grandfather that the devil was influencing my life, etc. I'm sure the people involved in this were consumed by the drama of "saving" people.

My experience in the pagan community involved a group of chaos magicians working on the astral. Apparently, they got involved in some Big War on the astral plane, and someone's soul got shattered, and it caused a huge fall out among the group, and I don't know what all else. (I've never done the astral thing myself, but I was someone's shoulder through this.)  

MoonJeli

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:20 pm
MoonJeli
The fluffy Otherkin are one Mr. Dark story after another.
To be blunt- I have yet to meet "Otherkin" that don't do this.

The stand alone assertion that "Oh Noze! I was shoved into the wrong body!" seems to be a core aspect of it.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:16 am
TeaDidikai
MoonJeli
The fluffy Otherkin are one Mr. Dark story after another.
To be blunt- I have yet to meet "Otherkin" that don't do this.

What I find is that the Otherkin who don't often start drama of a different type -- namely POE type diatribes putting down the Otherkin who do. Heh.

Quote:
The stand alone assertion that "Oh Noze! I was shoved into the wrong body!" seems to be a core aspect of it.

It is not necessary for someone to believe they are in the "wrong" body (or even a "different" body or anything like that), but it is a widespread belief, you're right.

Some Otherkin are atheists who don't believe in souls, reincarnation, magic, etc. and believe that their Otherkiness stems from a physical (as in, a cause along the lines of schizophrenia), or, more commonly cultural, or psychological quirk. Not very romantic (particularly comparing oneself to a schizophrenic), but more pragmatic I suppose. Lycanthropy is a medical condition in which a person believes they are a wolf, often caused by schizophrenia, or poisoning by a deliriant, etc.

They're the ones who write anti-human-bashing essays and essays aimed at Otherkin saying "You're not Special just weird like everyone else".

For some it's Totem Animals taken to the Extreme. (Animal Planet's THE MOST EXTREME Fluffy Shamans!)

There are many other theories as well, particularly among the Toasterkin subgroup, who would probably absolutely foam at the mouth if they were actually called Otherkin.

I won't say any of these beliefs are valid or not, but they don't strike me as essentially Mr. Dark since they lack the sensationalism and special set-asideness. Maybe I'm missing something in the definition -- they seem like weird and/or fluffy beliefs but no more Mr. Dark than the idea that gods of whatever religion would choose people or communicate with certain people in some way, or people contact spirits or other non-human entities, etc.  

MoonJeli

Pelta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:35 am
MoonJeli
There are many other theories as well, particularly among the Toasterkin subgroup, who would probably absolutely foam at the mouth if they were actually called Otherkin.
TOASTERKIN?!? eek  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:03 am
missmagpie
MoonJeli
TOASTERKIN?!? eek

It's a term used by people who claim to be "Otherkin, sort of", while completely tearing the idea apart at every turn ("why no anthropomorphic toasters at heart?" -- methinks they've never met the robotkin). They're banned from most fluffy Otherkin communities for being trolls and flamers.

Come to think of it, "flying toasters" is a term used in "Multiple" communities to denote fluffy sorts of people who link Multiplicity (MPD/DID) to psychic abilities (due to a couple books published by New Agey sort of therapists). Actually, a lot of flying toasters type communities have severe Mr. Dark undertones.

I am unsure of the significance that made people choose Toasters. xd  

MoonJeli

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:45 am
MoonJeli
Come to think of it, "flying toasters" is a term used in "Multiple" communities to denote fluffy sorts of people who link Multiplicity (MPD/DID) to psychic abilities (due to a couple books published by New Agey sort of therapists). Actually, a lot of flying toasters type communities have severe Mr. Dark undertones.

User Image I'm sure some geek other than me will get this joke. I hope so; took me a while to find a good pic of that damn toaster to use.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff