Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Art that stopped you from reading manga Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ranma064

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:22 pm
chibicheeks78
Oh absolutely.

Brother/Rising Storm

Playboy Blues

Boy Princess

Alone in My King's Harem

The first 2 have such ugly art and the last two have ukes who just look like flat chested women with a p***s. I mean I like bishies as much as the next fan but sheesh.

THANK YOU! Jeez, I'm a lover of pretty guys but they need to still look like a freakin' guy! That's why I didn't read Boy Princess and Alone in My King's Harem too ... God, I couldn't stand it.

FAKE... I didn't like it at first but when I finally read it I couldn't not... I dunno why but the story was hilarious - despite the art. And I'm really really picky about art ...

I love Passion - sometimes the art made me angry though. There was this one scene where he was "pushed" against the wall but it didn't look forceful at all! Made me so angry....grrr My fav BL though./  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:36 am
its a factor sometimes i wont read because of the art but sometimes i wont read things with a nice art style but bad plot...  

Sacher Torte

Greedy Capitalist

Chibi Cheeks78

4,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:41 am
I tried to read "Your Honest Deceit" by Sakufu Ajimine but the seme was so ugly I couldn't finish it. It's sad because her style isn't ugly at all. There's short stories at the end of the book and I loved them because both the seme and uke were young and hot like they're supposed to be.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:35 pm
This is Major Tom
Chibi_Oni_chan
I prefer pretty bishies in yaoi not strong chinned muscle peoples.

I find it kind of shallow and pointless to read yaoi if you can't appreciate men who LOOK LIKE MEN! Hello! That's what we're reading yaoi for. If they're all willowy bishounen who look like GIRLS that would break in a stiff wind, where's the fun in that?

That said, I'm pretty open to art. I love the styles where men look like men. I'm not too fond of the whole pointy chin phenomenon like in Love Mode, but I still enjoy its stories. Also, some yaoi artists go crazy with size proportions. Sex Pistols is a great story, but you have to get around the artist's issues with making hulking semes.

It's hard to turn me away from a good story, but bad art coupled with a boring story can do it. Level C was a total turn off. Ugly art with a weepy insipid little uke that made me want to kick him in his non-existant genitals assured that I would never purchase anything past book one. In fact, I sold off book one because it was so awful! I feel sorry for the sucker who bought it.
Bottom line, if the story is strong enough, it can get me through something with questionable art. If the story fails, the rest falls through for me. Life is not all about visuals. Pretty does not equal substance. Give me something to hold onto please.

I like you now, because of that. Ugh, I regret falling to the allure of plastic wrap and buying that awful first volume. Blech.

I also agree with your last paragraph. I, for one, and a fan of FAKE and regret selling of my manga, but there was other manga that I wanted to buy and I just didn't have the room. crying I like her other stuff, too. She seems to be a pretty prolific artist. (Also, yes, Kaori Yuki's stuff is beautiful. Angel Sanctuary is made of awesome, and Boys Next Door is one of the saddest things I've ever read.)

As for Yu-Gi-Oh, let's face it, freaky big eyes and wacky hair is a staple of many shonen manga/anime. It's just something that happens, and it's just one of those things where you kind of have to go with the flow. Also, the anime that we saw on TV is vastly edited from what it actually was. Hell, we didn't even get to see the entire first season until it came out on DVD. The Pharoah's a ******** nutcase, and ever pointing finger is actually a gun that was painted over.  

Ace of Blue Spades

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100

eduardo galpaleano

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:19 am
There are some art styles that are aesthetically displeasing, to say the least - but I'll usually give it a go - I'm just less inclined to like it, or really, like any pairings or characters, because of how they are drawn - but I'd usually still read it.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:04 pm
I don't know  

superwhatever

Uke_Koroshiya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:58 pm
Oresama to Ouji was kinda wierd |D The faces are what made me look away from it the most though...the cover art was fantastic! sweatdrop If that made any sense at all n.n;  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:08 pm
Delcie
Any yaoi you stopped reading because you just couldn't take the art? Any that you can't try, even if other people tell you it's great, because the art is so off-putting? Story is so important, but there are some series I just can't bear to look at even when the story is great!

I have not had art keep me from reading a series yet... I hope that it stays that way too; I would be extremely sad if I had to stop/ not read a series do to someone's bad art...  

jene-chan

DarkFlowerGirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:45 pm
I could not STAND Zatch Bell.

1. Horrible voices, everytime I heard those voices, it made me want to punch an old person.

2. The art style SUCKS a**

3. Story line SUCKS "the art style's" a**

4. Took away my precious Yu Yu Hakusho...... crying crying crying crying crying  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:36 pm
It really doesnt matter what it is, if the art is something I absolutely hate, I cant readit, cause I cant stand lookign at it for that long. Pet Shop of Horrors, is one of my faves to look at. As well as Alichino, to bad ti was so short  

dragonslayer7178

rioakie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:19 pm
yes there are quite a few mangas that have stoped me from reading one of them really is ranma 1/2 ^.^" its not really a yaoi but the whole drawing style just gets me angry ^.^"...  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:26 am
Eh... yes... MÄR.
It just makes me squirm, the loud, obnoxious main character with the fugly hairstyle, and the fact that practically everything in the show is ridiculous. All the characters are total stereotypes, and the plot smells like old socks xD The mix of 3D animation and anime is repulsive. I didn't even think it was a real show at first xD

User_2629207

sjggfjshgjfsjsj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:30 pm
Yesterday I went to Barnes and Noble with my friends, and we saw Gravitation Ex. At first my other yaoi loving friend and I squeed in fangirl joy, but when we looked at the cover and looked through the book we were just so disappointed... Shuichi and Ryuichi look like child prostitutes... (they both have mysterious cleavage lines and look to be about 12...) >_< Yuki at first looks smexy, but then he becomes way too femmy! I was so sad! I looked forward to this ever since I found out about it!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:03 pm
kizuna... I know it's a icon of yaoi manga... but that art... I'm still trying to read it because most of the ppl love the story and advised me... but can't pass the 1st page.
maybe someday  

agito_dragonsoul

abandoned_at_birth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:47 pm
its not so much that i dont like the art but the cover is too explict so my parents dont allow me to read it  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff