Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
Is the Bible appropriate for children? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Bible:
  Appropriate
  Inappropriate
View Results

laurabee86

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:13 pm
there are Bibles for kids that make it nice smile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:42 pm
laurabee86

But it's not a real Bible, is it?  

Lethkhar

SammiejoPeepEnstine

Gracious Entrepreneur

4,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:00 pm
Lethkhar
laurabee86

yes it is a real bible but "Dumbed" down if you will. Almost censored for little kids! So yes there is a censor on the Bible  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:16 pm
sweetly~broken~by~Him
Lethkhar
laurabee86

yes it is a real bible but "Dumbed" down if you will. Almost censored for little kids! So yes there is a censor on the Bible

But then are they really learning completely about their religion?  

Lethkhar

SammiejoPeepEnstine

Gracious Entrepreneur

4,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:26 pm
Lethkhar
sweetly~broken~by~Him
Lethkhar
laurabee86

YES! to the extent of what they can handle!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:38 pm
sweetly~broken~by~Him
Lethkhar
sweetly~broken~by~Him
Lethkhar
laurabee86

YES! to the extent of what they can handle!

So you're limiting their understanding of their religion?  

Lethkhar

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:17 pm
Censoring it is not limiting their knowledge of their religion. The fact that a five year old is just beginning to be able to see things from another person's point of view is limiting them from understanding their religion. Censoring is necessary when you teach children about anything, because otherwise it'll scar them or go right over their heads, and neither is good. Once they reach an age/level of understanding where the full Bible, uncensored, would be appropriate, then it is the parents' perogative and responsibility to expose them to it.

Just curious, Lethkhar: since you're so for knocking Christians and their exposing children to the faith, do you think that all families of faith should avoid exposing their children to whatever canon they follow (for examples, should Muslims not teach the Quran to their children, or Satanists the Satanic scriptures to their children, etc.)? Or do you just really, really, really not like the Bible?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:11 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Censoring it is not limiting their knowledge of their religion. The fact that a five year old is just beginning to be able to see things from another person's point of view is limiting them from understanding their religion. Censoring is necessary when you teach children about anything, because otherwise it'll scar them or go right over their heads, and neither is good. Once they reach an age/level of understanding where the full Bible, uncensored, would be appropriate, then it is the parents' perogative and responsibility to expose them to it.

Just curious, Lethkhar: since you're so for knocking Christians and their exposing children to the faith, do you think that all families of faith should avoid exposing their children to whatever canon they follow (for examples, should Muslims not teach the Quran to their children, or Satanists the Satanic scriptures to their children, etc.)? Or do you just really, really, really not like the Bible?

I have nothing against families trying to instill their beliefs in their children. (Well, actually I do...But I can understand why they would want to do it, and I'll tolerate it)

But I believe that everyone should, at one point or another, be exposed to other possibilities for belief systems, preferably before they've grown up and have developed the beliefs they'll carry for the rest of their lives. Children are very gullible and vulnerable when they're young, and I think that a parent that does not expose them to alternatives is not doing their job.

I really just hate close-minded people, not the Bible. I only hate the Bible because of its poor literary qualities and all of the strife it's caused.  

Lethkhar

SammiejoPeepEnstine

Gracious Entrepreneur

4,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:32 pm
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

I have nothing against families trying to instill their beliefs in their children. (Well, actually I do...But I can understand why they would want to do it, and I'll tolerate it)

But I believe that everyone should, at one point or another, be exposed to other possibilities for belief systems, preferably before they've grown up and have developed the beliefs they'll carry for the rest of their lives. Children are very gullible and vulnerable when they're young, and I think that a parent that does not expose them to alternatives is not doing their job.

I really just hate close-minded people, not the Bible. I only hate the Bible because of its poor literary qualities and all of the strife it's caused.

everyday children are introduced to different religions! through school, friends, the tv, even family It is the parents job to make sure that the kid understand that religion and the basics of the religion that they are questioning but also impress unpon them what their religion is!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:10 pm
sweetly~broken~by~Him
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

everyday children are introduced to different religions! through school, friends, the tv, even family It is the parents job to make sure that the kid understand that religion and the basics of the religion that they are questioning but also impress unpon them what their religion is!

Precisely. And that doesn't happen in a lot of cases.  

Lethkhar

SammiejoPeepEnstine

Gracious Entrepreneur

4,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:15 am
Lethkhar
sweetly~broken~by~Him
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

then if you agree with me...waht are we debating about!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:45 pm
sweetly~broken~by~Him
Lethkhar
sweetly~broken~by~Him
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

That's what I was wondering...  

Lethkhar

SammiejoPeepEnstine

Gracious Entrepreneur

4,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:18 pm
Lethkhar
sweetly~broken~by~Him
Lethkhar
sweetly~broken~by~Him
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

That's what I was wondering...

obviously this topic is dead!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:08 pm
Lethkhar
Seriously, what with all the rape, murder, violence, suicide, rebellion, incest, bestiality, use of drugs and alcohol, sexuality, and various other atrocities, the Bible is hardly appropriate for children to read.
Such knowledge of said subject matter, --has done what to children?  

Kaizzer

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:38 pm
Kaizzer
Lethkhar
Seriously, what with all the rape, murder, violence, suicide, rebellion, incest, bestiality, use of drugs and alcohol, sexuality, and various other atrocities, the Bible is hardly appropriate for children to read.
Such knowledge of said subject matter, --has done what to children?

I don't know. Maybe you should ask the Christians who are trying to stop sexual education in our schools.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff