Reply Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People
what is up with Asians and academics? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lieutenant Nishin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:19 pm
Well, I'm kinda lazy in school. I don't apply myself, and I still manage to pass with at least an 87. Oh yeah!

But my mom is totally harsh when it comes to my grade. She's like: "87 ain't good enough." Yeah, shove it, Mom. scream  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:57 pm
@.@ well, my parents, just wants me to do my best in school. they dont expect me to be a straight A student though xD; ...i wish was crying  

Paper_Penguin

Ouiaboo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:43 pm
私立聖ルドルフ

My parents wouldn't mind if I got a D, if that was honestly the best I could do in that class. However, my parents know that I can usually do better than that and my mom won't spring for lower than a B; if I get even one C, she freaks out on me and goes into this huge lecture. I remember she was furious when I got a D in my Honors English class freshman year and she was furious with me until I got my next report card and brought it up. Though, I suppose it's not her fault because I remember her telling me once that her dad would harass her to the point that she was in tears because she'd gotten a 99% on a test and the teachers had to call and tell him to stop it.

But I think that, because of that incident and the fact that everyone is used to me being the "smart one", I feel like I've had to set a standard for myself. Even when I have a B, I feel disappointed in myself, like - I could've done better, so why didn't I? It's gotten to a point where a B almost isn't good enough for me (though, I make an exception for my AP World History class only because I know that's a difficult class to get an A in).

I guess it's not true with all Asians though; my friend is half-Japanese and her mom doesn't really seem to pester her about being at the top of the class. Heck, she hardly cares about her schoolwork at all and doesn't bother with her studies much (o_o);

But I think that, even if it seems extreme (and it is, sometimes), our parents do this in our best interest. They want us to have all the opportunities we want, knowing there is a lot of competition out there in the world. And I also think it's because they don't want people holding us back just because we're a minority, so if we're the best of the best it gives nobody an excuse to not hire us because we're minorities.

学院中学校

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:32 am
If I get a B, my parents get mad at me.  

akiamy

azn_babex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:35 am
im confused

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:00 pm
azn_babex
im confused

I'm curious why Asian students are soo annoying with academics...
95% of them talk about homework scream

For me, I'm Asian, but not an academic nerd...  

Mysterious Drifter

Wealthy Citizen

7,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100

xlilaznxcutiex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:20 pm
I guess most (if not all) asian parents want their children to be successful and have a better life than they did. My parents are kinda getting used to me semi-slacking in school now...my grades are like okay. When I get straight A's, I don't even get a "good job" or a "yay", but when I get like a B or a C -->Which happened twice on my report card my parents are like "WHAT?" "NO COMPUTER FOR YOU FOR A GAZILLION YEARS" Well I exaggerated the last quote, but still. I understand they want me to get good grades, but the more they lecture me the more I rebel... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:05 pm
My parents aren't as picky as before. Now that I'm in high school and in full Pre-IB (IB next year D: ) courses are super hard. They don't scream at me for getting a high B but they would want me to improve. D:  

xMissMacabre

hyuu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:38 pm
:: i understand what you mean. its those particular asian families where they expect their children to do thee best in school
apparently, i dont get pushed by my parents... which is really really strange. i duno, because my school offers lots of AP courses, im gona take like probably all of them.

The thing is though, i've pushed myself so hard all these years.. i find highschool easy, even though im in an advanced program.. which is good, yet im always stressed and depressed.. o_o; i should take SAP. lol. and i cant exactly slack off because i feel really horrible when i do bad. X_X; yeh, i sound like a nerd, but im not. XD i go on computer 24/7.. dont do extra studying or those crap, but still good marks.. well.. isn't good marks = freedom (computer, and all the relaxing stuff you want)? University? a good job/career in the future? So why complain?
btw, it does you no good to slack off for grades 9-11.. then realize that you need good marks for grade 12 for your goal.. i've noticed how people who are bad in school want to be lawyers.. i really question that. Im not saying its impossible, but some things dont just come easily like that. okay.. you guys hate me for saying all this.. okay.. what ever. so's everyone else in my school -_-; damnit!! those people in my school are so ignorant!

theres even a girl who doesn't care about giving everyone a peak at her work.. because she knows that in the future, all the copiers will fail. i knew because she was like to a close friend, "no, do the work yourself. you're my friend and i dont want you failing." DAMN!!! i cant believe her.
::
<3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:51 pm
my mum sed i hav to go to tutoring for the nex 5 yrs x___x
and iv already been for abt 3
and my grades dont even suk
they jus never think theyr good enuff
hmmph

sux

SBz lil Bunnyy

Mr_Example

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:48 pm
You know they just care. You guys just go on exaggerating "man! if i get a b" and that other jazz. You guys just need to organise. I have straight As without trying and the projects are just easy when you just finish it as soon as possible and maybe you won't have bullspit grades (bullspit=b). Just survive couple more years and they'll get out of your life (i think).  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:29 pm
My brother failed and shytt . And he got beaten/yelled/grounded for 3 months witout t.v, video games, computer, and hanging out wit friends. burning_eyes that is why I have to get A's . even though I don't want to . but it's for the best . I guess . sweatdrop  

Mz P0CKii

shinnoir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:54 pm
here's an opinion from a university grad:

being too obsessive about the A's you get is not a good sign... it shows that the country will be in excess of smart people who are all brain, but no expertise... your expertise cannot be measured by letters... it's on how good you do it... and it's not supposed to be tested on a written exam...

in malaysia, for instance, parents are starting to push their children to take more and more subjects, so that they can brag to their peers about how good and hardworking their children are... and the media is making the matters worse, by publishing in the front page the HUGE numbers of A's some students get for their major exams... in my time, i took 10 subjects (or was it 11?)... my juniors took 12... my seniors took only 9-10... right now, we have a max of 16-20 subjects... IMHO, if you're taking all those subjects, and really work hard on it to keep up... I believe you'll end up with a laughable social life... that means you have problems with your personal/soft skills... which means you'll have trouble looking for a job... which defeats the whole purpose of education...  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:00 pm
A lot of asians parents are like that because they want you to appreciate where they come from. Also they want you to have a better life and all i know it gets irritating after a while but it is worth it  

-Falling.Ice-

shinnoir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:46 pm
no it's not... they didn't enjoy it when they were our age... and most parents who are pushing their children academics did it because they didn't manage to get what they want...  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff