Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
"Witches are Crafty People" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:51 am
TeaDidikai
missmagpie
I was thinking of getting a pyrography pen to work on my staff. Are they very expensive or hard to use?
A good quality one will run about $10 US.

The nice ones come with attachments and run about $24, and in my opinion are worth the extra money. But then, they also function as a soldering iron- which runs about $14...
That's all? I thought they'd be way more expensive... But then again everything is over here. I'm just wondering where on earth you would find one in Dublin. I can't order stuff, you see...

Quote:
Not hard to use. The best tips I can give would be to buy practice wood and make a "test swatch". Try different tips held at different angles for different lengths of time.

You get the idea. Other than that- it's pretty easy.
I'll definately try it out. Thanks for the tips! It'll probably take a bit of practise on scrap wood. I wouldn't want to fudge up my staff. It also gave me loads of spare bark from when I stripped it. I was thinking of using it for runes and charms, so practising on that would be perfect!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:41 am
What do I (or one of my fellows) not end up making...
As the formulae which we use are very exacting, most manufactured goods will be completely worthless to us.

Of course, I'm mostly worthless at making things.
I'm a decent potter and sculptor, and can braid rope (with instruction on the specific braid needed).
I've cast more candles than I care to admit, as forfeit for not being able to make the other tools that are needed...

"Yep, go make candles with the aspirants, until you learn to work the ret of the materials you need."

Irritating, but fair. neutral  

Fiddlers Green

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Fiddlers Green
Irritating, but fair. neutral
Cool! What sorts of other stuff do you make, if you don't mind me asking?

I use tools so very infrequently that when I do I like them to be really good. And made by me, the one exception being my necklace and pendent. I'm not that great with jewellry really, unless it involves thread. Braiding and weaving is fun. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:23 pm
missmagpie
Cool! What sorts of other stuff do you make, if you don't mind me asking?

Me personally... very little.
Us as an organization...
What don't we make...
Chalk, Candles, Bells, Metal Castings, Blades, Tile Mosiaics, Paper, Inks, all manner of foul tasting/smelling concoctions that I'm not entirely sure aren't mildly toxic, glues, dyes, some cloth, prisms... it really doesn't stop...
As far as finished products... anything from jewelry to new floors are made.

Quote:
I use tools so very infrequently that when I do I like them to be really good. And made by me, the one exception being my necklace and pendent. I'm not that great with jewellry really, unless it involves thread. Braiding and weaving is fun. 3nodding

We are heavey tool users...
In fact, we don't do anything without a massive arsenal of tools and back-up tools, and tools to experiment if it works... and tools to experiment if it fails...
Tis exhausting at times.  

Fiddlers Green

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:37 pm
Fiddlers Green
missmagpie

We are heavey tool users...
In fact, we don't do anything without a massive arsenal of tools and back-up tools, and tools to experiment if it works... and tools to experiment if it fails...
Tis exhausting at times.
But rewarding nonetheless! 3nodding Do you keep all these things when you're done with them?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:46 pm
...I wish I was craft. I have no artistic ability with my hands at all.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:49 pm
Nuri
Drinking is an artistic ability! 3nodding

(Or at least, it is now ninja )  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:51 pm
missmagpie
But rewarding nonetheless! 3nodding Do you keep all these things when you're done with them?

If they are the finished product, then yes.
If they were an interesting failure, often.
If they were just a protion of something else, normally not.
They are either reduced to their components, or destroyed...
Don't want something contaminated being brought to the next experiment... neutral  

Fiddlers Green

MoonJeli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:06 am
I do a lot of crafts -- knitting, crochet, drawing/illustration, sculpture, a little bit of sewing (formerly more), etc. None of it is particularly spiritual at this time.

In the past I've done several illustrations and sculptures that had spiritual meaning for me, such as for a personal altar space and the like. Now, I've mostly sold out and do other people's requests for cold hard cash. 3nodding

I like to make necklaces and pendants. I'm making a bunny pendant for my sister for Christmas. She has a white dwarf rabbit named Chandra (stars to those who get the reference xd ). I'll add a few matching, smaller pendants with gold cherry blossoms, some rose quartz beads (which turned out to match perfectly) and string it on a ribbon (my sister is allergic to metal). I did a quick necklace for Halloween with a pumpkin eraser, hematite stars and pale orange glass seed beads.

I could make more spiritual things, I'm just not sure where to direct my energies right now.

I could knit tree sweaters I guess. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:24 am
missmagpie
Nuri

I'm not even good at that!  

maenad nuri
Captain

Pelta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:41 am
Nuri
missmagpie
Nuri

I'm not even good at that!
Meh. I'm sure you're good at a great many things. Communication, for example. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:31 pm
Happy Holidays one and all.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

VisasMarr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:50 pm
I have constructed my own wand, my sister's wand, and I also made one for my boyfriend. I have made myself a staff, and an alter pentacle (which I don't use anymore). I have sewn bags for spells, and made jewelery (very simple stuff).  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:19 pm
missmagpie
I'll definately try it out. Thanks for the tips! It'll probably take a bit of practise on scrap wood. I wouldn't want to fudge up my staff. It also gave me loads of spare bark from when I stripped it. I was thinking of using it for runes and charms, so practising on that would be perfect!
Also to note- inbetween burnings let your tool reheat. Otherwise it will take twice as long to craft the work and you end up applying too much pressure.  

TeaDidikai

Padmasana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:45 am
I love to cook for "the mess" (2-20 friends and family)...and that, to me, is remembering the connection to the family members who have died or moved on. I enjoy crochet, haven't made anything super-spiritual with it yet, but we'll see. I've sewn pillows for my siblings; Velly felt that sleeping with hers made her dreams more productive, but whether that was my work or her thoughts I can't say.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff