Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Click here if you love star trek!
  Beam Me Up!
View Results

Sweetycow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:41 am
On american high school movies and series, all the super-nerds are fanatic Star Trek fans. And that makes those that hasn't seen a ST-show or movie scared. But people seems to forget that there are to types of fans:

Trekkie - The most common used name. Mostly discribes the more fanatic fans that dresses like ST-characters, learns Klingons and so on...

Trekker - Likes the shows/movies, reads the novels, but dosen't get panic if they miss an episode and so on.

If the Trekker fans was shown more, maybe people would be more open to Star Trek then.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:44 pm
Yeah, I think people like passive entertainment- that which doesn't engage them or make them think. Star Trek deals with a host of philosophical and sociological issues and occasionally posits interesting scientific questions as well. Far to intellectual for most people... (do I sound bitter rolleyes )  

Kitsune Tokala

Maria Stark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:29 pm
I ask myself that question everyday. I also ask everyone else that question. So I think I've come up with a pretty good answer. Every other T.V. show (even Kim Possible) makes fun of Star Trek because it's easy to make fun of. Also, all the people on said shows who like it are those nerds with glasses and braces and funny voices. So that makes everyone assume it's nerdy and geeky. It's a shame they don't give it a fair chance. Those poor, poor Trek-haters. crying  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:17 pm
you know what i always thought was wierd.
in "trouble with tribbles" the klingon says, "that's why everyone is learning klingonese." but everywhere else i always hear "klingon."  

paige_mustang

Cokehead A L I E N

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:32 pm
I personally hate Star Wars, I think it's boring.
To each their own.
I don't understand why people think Star Trek is the nerdiest thing ever.
Its just because of all the parodies and how the media portrays it. Also that movie Trekkies.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:03 pm
I love to be called a nerd just because I watch Star Trek. I'm not usually an attention seeker, but It's fun to hear people get frustrated when you say, "Thank You for calling me a nerd!!" and walk away. Be proud of your Star Trek obsessions!!!  

The Angry Therapist

Da Jeans

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:27 am
baronesswinchester
It's because Star Trek makes you think. A lot of people don't like to think.
Ditto. Like most of you have said, none of my friends like it either. As soon as I told them I liked Star Trek, they were like, "Eww, why?" Why?! Hello, you've never even watched it so how can you say that? It boggled my mind. There's a lot of people out there that don't want to think...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:39 pm
I know someone that refuses to watch or look at Star Trek. She does so because the "aliens look creepy and there are no cute guys." She wants to watch TV to relax and not pay attention to anything in particular. I pointed out Data, Spock, Riker, and (even though I personally don't like him) Kirk. She laughed at me. crying  

Dunedien

vampirelove75

Dangerous Genius

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:54 pm
people simply need to realize that Star Trek owns all. one thing that i really comend the new movie for is making it cool again, even to people who normally wouldn't watch ST in a million years, not that there was ever a time when star trek WASN'T cool, i'm just sayin.

P.S. star trek >star wars  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:54 pm
i have asked myself this question many many times and have finally come up with the answer that people are tought subliminally to think it is nerdy by subtle trekkie insurtions into popular shows and then the characters imply that it is not normal or weird in some way. just like religion.  

ranch_and_potatos

Dedale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:11 pm
The real question is why aren't nerds accepted in society? We're the smart ones with good taste (as demonstrated by our love of Star Trek).  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:49 pm
I have no problem telling my friends how much of a nerd I am. I openly like Star Trek and nerd out, but nobody cares...  

Son Of No Man

3,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Dust Dancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:33 pm
I agree with everyone's opinions, especially the ones about the media. I'll have to admit that I was a bit hesitant at first to watch Star Trek because of it. But I'm glad I got past that phase years ago.

I was talking with an ST fan the other day and my friend comes up and she's like "Omfg, I can't believe I know you nerds. Wtf is wrong with you? Star Trek is so nerdy." I make a point to her that she's just as nerdy being on 4chan and encyclopedia dramatica all day. Then she answers, "Oh, I'm a cool nerd."

Wtf?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 pm
You know, I should point something out. Me and my friend Ian nerd out about Star Trek all the time with our other friends, who get all annoyed and mock us....

So what if I can tell you who said what line in what season? If you know Star Trek, you know saying "There are Four Lights" or "Darmok and Jillad at Tinagra" is hardly obscure anyway. Actually, we could only be more blatant if we said "I am Locutus of Borg."

But they do mock, act like it's nerdy, but they remember so many random facts about these ******** anime shows and pretend it's somehow different. Look, if you can tell me how many episodes of Naruto some guy I never heard of uses a special attack, you really have no room to talk.

Star Trek has been generally associated with Nerdiness. But then there are the "Popular" nerdy things, like anime and the what not, and those are seen as different. hell, even Comic books don't have the stigma that Trek has.  

Matt Pniewski

Son Of No Man

3,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:38 pm
Matt Pniewski
You know, I should point something out. Me and my friend Ian nerd out about Star Trek all the time with our other friends, who get all annoyed and mock us....

So what if I can tell you who said what line in what season? If you know Star Trek, you know saying "There are Four Lights" or "Darmok and Jillad at Tinagra" is hardly obscure anyway. Actually, we could only be more blatant if we said "I am Locutus of Borg."

But they do mock, act like it's nerdy, but they remember so many random facts about these ******** anime shows and pretend it's somehow different. Look, if you can tell me how many episodes of Naruto some guy I never heard of uses a special attack, you really have no room to talk.

Star Trek has been generally associated with Nerdiness. But then there are the "Popular" nerdy things, like anime and the what not, and those are seen as different. hell, even Comic books don't have the stigma that Trek has.

Just call them Narutards. Believe me, even true anime fans hate them. They'll shut up pretty quickly if you just throw in a few comments about how all Naruto is filler s**t.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff