Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Books Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shiama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:45 pm

i am reading off and on the Mists of Avalon and i have three of her other books upstairs. She is a great author i will deff. give her that.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:03 pm

I am obessive MZB fan I think I've read...um... 27? of her novels. Many of them multiple times.

I started with her Darkover series, and they are still my favourite books of hers and then progressed out into her Avalon series and her anthologies. Still trying to find her other series so I can get into them too.

Overall her writing is great, but there are certainly a coupel of her books that I have found more lacking. I think though in retrospect these are often the books that she wrote far earlier in her career, or at least were dreamed up far earlier in her life than the other books that I've liked. So much of the style difference might just be age.

PS- Ummm.. even though I'm still new to this guild and feel sort of bad for doing this, I've started up a MZB fan guild and am trying to get members, so if any one is interested you can check out the "skeli-guild" I have in my siggy or PM me.

Verene

Shiama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:50 pm

I love marion zimmer bradley but i havent found a site to list al lher books. i would really liek to because i have only seen like four of her books and one in a diffrent series of more sci fi that didnt seem that great.

if anyone has a link that would be great.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:20 am

Shiama
I love marion zimmer bradley but i havent found a site to list al lher books. i would really liek to because i have only seen like four of her books and one in a diffrent series of more sci fi that didnt seem that great.

if anyone has a link that would be great.

Book list at the Marion Zimmer Bradley Literary Trust site and wikipedia biography aslo contains a list of all MZB writings.

EDIT: Summary Biblography

Verene

Shiama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:38 pm

thanks. i will take a look at that later wheni have more time and then copy some of them down.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:22 am

I've only actually read the Mists of Avalon by marion zimmer bradley. I liked it a lot. But they don't have any other books by her at the school library...

Hiitachin Kaoru

Verene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:15 pm

Shiama
thanks. i will take a look at that later wheni have more time and then copy some of them down.

You're welcome, I've read all but one of her avalon series, and most of her darkover books. Tehy run through a range of what her writing is like, so if you want any opinion on them, or summaries or anything, don't be afraid to ask. wink
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:05 pm

I would but there is a downfall to summaries....they give some stuff away in the stories >.<

Shiama

Verene

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Shiama
I would but there is a downfall to summaries....they give some stuff away in the stories >.<

Yeah, but I am getting much better at summarizing (or perhaprs better called synopsis?) with out actually telling what goes on. However if you don't want to konw, I won't tell people what they don't want to hear. At least with books... I think I bug my friends with random bits of infomation and advice far more often than what is probably good for any of us. xp
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:22 pm

kithlyn
I've only actually read the Mists of Avalon by marion zimmer bradley. I liked it a lot. But they don't have any other books by her at the school library...

Her books are getting harder and harder to find. Try public library, they usually have at least a couple of her books, and used book stores.

Places like Hastings, Barnes & Noble, and Borders also have a few of her books, but the prices! Yesh, the list price on the sticker on the back of most of my books is $3.99 or so, currently it seems that they only sell the combined books making the price be raise up to $10+ for 'em.

I've heard though that some of the combined "omnibus" editions are pretty bad on the editing. My friend started reading "Stormqueen" in the Age os Chaos edition, and was complaining about spelling errors, repeated words and the like being very common. I pulled out my copy of "Stormqueen" read the entire things and found no errors.

So if you really want a clean copy, looked for used books.

Verene

LotesseElf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:29 am

What, your school library has her books? You lucky.

I've read The Mists Of Avalon, about a year or more ago. It was kinda interesting while reading, but come to think of it it was a very slow read and nothing special.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:51 pm

I thought that the Mist of avalon, which i recently finished and have three other books by her I will read once I get around to it..i always have books to read...

anyways I thought it was actually well written and told you about each chracter and what they felt honestly.

Shiama

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:27 pm

I just finished The Firebrand last night, for a school assignment, and it was pretty good. I liked it better than The Mists of Avalon, although it had the same stretch of "this is boring, I don't want to read this anymore" as the other book did. I also saw a lot of parallels from characters in The Firebrand to characters in The Mists of Avalon. That's not bad, mind you, but I couldn't help but compare them. Kassandra appeals to me much more than Morgaine ever did; Paris, who reminded me of Lancelet, was much more annoying than Lancelet was; and while Helen reminds me of Gwenhwyfar, whom I despise, she's also a much better character, in my opinion.

I'm probably just biased; I prefer the story of Troy to that of Arthur. There's more to it.

I quite admire Marion Zimmer Bradley's ability to give (mostly) non-magical explanations to things that were put down to some magical happenstance in other versions of the story. For example, Akhilles' fall to Kassandra's arrow; the heel was the place she shot because his armor covered everywhere else. It was never said that he'd been dunked in the River Styx, just that his armor was superior to the weapons that the Trojans had.

Anyway. That's all I really wanted to say.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:13 pm

I love the Mists of Avalon book. As soon as I finished all 900 pages of it, I went back and read it again, its excellent

babalonsatene

lovebooks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:25 am

mists of avalon was the best!!
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items