Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Runic Corner Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Lilitu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:53 pm
Thanks, Deoridhe. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:44 pm
The rune of Thorn means so very much to me. It symbolises the standing still wait before the time of healing, that instant when a thorn pricks your finger and you are in shock from the slight spasm of pain. Having Morbid depression and not being able to be properly medicated has led me to this. I'm not really depressed, but I'm definately not happy. My emotions are neutral. For this I am glad...I'd rather be stuck in limbo than be stuck in the psychological hell that I was in since my birth.
This interpretation can be more thoroughly studied in The Runes Of Elfland by Brian Froud.  

xKelpiex

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:28 pm
KelpieMoonPriestess
The rune of Thorn means so very much to me. It symbolises the standing still wait before the time of healing, that instant when a thorn pricks your finger and you are in shock from the slight spasm of pain. ...
This interpretation can be more thoroughly studied in The Runes Of Elfland by Brian Froud.

I assume you're talking about Thurisaz?

Froud has some very poetic interpretations of the runes, but I'm not entirely pleased with the softness he often overlays on them. The runes are frequently raw and primal, not gentle and mystical. As such, thurisaz is a rune of breaking through - often violently. It is a rune associated with the Thurses - the giants who were the predecessors to and the enemies of the gods. It is also the rune of Thor, the protector of mankind.

The rune poems seem to emphasize the woe-working of thurisaz more than the weal working of it, which is also something to keep in mind when using it. Details are here.

If you feel so inspired, though, I'd like to have a summary of Froud's interpretation or his words verbatum to add to the resource here.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:23 pm
I made my first "official" bindrune, set with blood, today. I actually made two of them. They were very basic - a combo of Ingwas and Berkano that included Perthro and two Gebos; the focus is health and fertility, to be tested on fish.

I made them out of gold sculpy by pressing the scupy into the shape of tiles with my fingers and pressing in the rune with a pencil. I used a diabetes finger-pricker to get the blood from my fingers; through trial, error, and advice I discovered the tip, well away from the nail, is the best spot to use it. With one rune, I put the blood into the rune before the baking of the tiles, for the other I combined it with paint and added the blood afterward. Both were painted with red acrylic paint (it's what I had handy and it dries to plastic, so it's fairly perminant).

I'll keep you all updated on what, if anything, happens in the tanks.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

RelenaS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:22 am
Deoridhe
I made my first "official" bindrune, set with blood, today. I actually made two of them. They were very basic - a combo of Ingwas and Berkano that included Perthro and two Gebos; the focus is health and fertility, to be tested on fish.

I made them out of gold sculpy by pressing the scupy into the shape of tiles with my fingers and pressing in the rune with a pencil. I used a diabetes finger-pricker to get the blood from my fingers; through trial, error, and advice I discovered the tip, well away from the nail, is the best spot to use it. With one rune, I put the blood into the rune before the baking of the tiles, for the other I combined it with paint and added the blood afterward. Both were painted with red acrylic paint (it's what I had handy and it dries to plastic, so it's fairly perminant).

I'll keep you all updated on what, if anything, happens in the tanks.

Nice biggrin I'm scared of doing bindrunes, mainly because I'm the sort who does not test waters, and as my knowledge on runes is fairly basic, I don't want to flop and make a bindrune that does somthing I wasn't expecting.

I hope it turns out well for you!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:37 pm
Ack! Yay!

I was just looking for Rune information Friday at school--- got fun looks for it too. I convinced my Journalism teacher I got to it off of an encyclopedia site...

Yea. Anyways, thank so much for posting this. Runes are one of the things I know very very little about and want to learn as much as possible.

heart Ishee heart  

Faerie-Ishee

Shameless Fairy

9,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Full closet 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:42 am
Sorry for the delay in updating this, but I should have more to say in the future.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:29 pm
Oh em gee. Deoridhe, you are now, officially, teh s3cks. ((Great info and orginization. I heart runes.))  

[Feather]s Soul

xoxoxoxzozo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:49 pm
hello? anybody still there?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:13 pm
Deoridhe
Cloverina
I’d like to mention that in the short time that I worked with runes, I found the “blank” rune to be pointless. Worthless and stupid, in fact. 3nodding
crying Don't even get me STARTED on that travesty! The "blank" rune was something Ralph Blume invented so that the runes would be base five, which US society is more used to, instead of base 12, which is what the anchient norse preferred. Blume also, coincidentally, made up wholesale all of the runes and the order he put them in, and put in his forward that there was no information on them, which set me back about five years because I believed him. stressed I despise Blume.

That answered my question. I have one of Blum's sets, with the book and everything, and so far only have him as a source. So it's true that he invented Odin? Hmm...  

Arawath

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Purenutria

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:55 pm
Arawath
Deoridhe
Cloverina
I’d like to mention that in the short time that I worked with runes, I found the “blank” rune to be pointless. Worthless and stupid, in fact. 3nodding
crying Don't even get me STARTED on that travesty! The "blank" rune was something Ralph Blume invented so that the runes would be base five, which US society is more used to, instead of base 12, which is what the anchient norse preferred. Blume also, coincidentally, made up wholesale all of the runes and the order he put them in, and put in his forward that there was no information on them, which set me back about five years because I believed him. stressed I despise Blume.

That answered my question. I have one of Blum's sets, with the book and everything, and so far only have him as a source. So it's true that he invented Odin? Hmm...

Yup. He did. I do rune readings and I don't work with the blank rune. I can't find it in myself to use it because I know it was invented by Blume.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:14 pm
Arawath

I believe he actually calls it "Wyrd" but associates it with Odin. For reference, the rune in the Futhark associated with Odin is Ansuz.

And this is also a notice that I added Kenaz into the halls of Runes WIth Actual Posts About Them (tm). Please enjoy; I love comments. The permenant archive of the runes can be found here.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

punchIT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:06 pm
How do you make a rune set? I've found a place that says to use a fruit bearing tree's branch but what do you say?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:57 pm
Deoridhe
Cloverina

will you explain the whole base 5 and base 12 thing? I dont quite understand....  

himizu-no-miko

5,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:59 am
Binki
How do you make a rune set? I've found a place that says to use a fruit bearing tree's branch but what do you say?

I think it depends on how traditional you want to be.

My travel set I purchased; it's made of blue goldstone and is very, very pretty. My home set I made out of a branch I found on one of my walks. I don't know what kind of wood it is.

himizu-no-miko
Deoridhe
The "blank" rune was something Ralph Blume invented so that the runes would be base five, which US society is more used to, instead of base 12, which is what the anchient norse preferred.

will you explain the whole base 5 and base 12 thing? I dont quite understand....

This gets into mathematics and number theory, so let me know if I'm not making things simple enough.

Numeric systems have what are called "bases," which is when the numbers reset themselves and start over. For example, in English we say:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
10, 11, 12, 13, 14...

In other words, English numbers are base ten, because at ten it goes from being one digit to two digits and the second digit starts over at zero. However, English still carries a trait of the Germanic base-12 numbering system in the words for eleven and twelve, while thirteen starts the standard naming scheme.

To the ancient Norse, twelve was a number of completeness. To modern Americans, ten is the number of completeness. When Blume re-wrote the runes, he decided to take them from the context of their origin - 12 based - and make them into a number that felt even or complete for Americans, e.g. 25, or half of ten. (For the record, six was another big number for the norse; halves of the whole number tend to feel "complete" or "comfortable" for members of the culture).

Let me know if this makes sense.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces