Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What makes a Wiccan a Wiccan Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dulliath

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:07 pm
[Kudzu]
PirateEire
So Gardner did not give his 8 holidays names at all? Then, perhaps, in keeping with tradition, lineaged Wiccans should let them remain nameless.

Just wanted to clarify that lineaged Wiccans do not necessarily keep their Traditions according to publically published materials.
You know, I wondered at the start of this thread of the holiday names might be oathbound, but since nobody seemed to respond to that, I just assumed that they weren't.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:44 pm
Dulliath
PirateEire
So Gardner did not give his 8 holidays names at all? Then, perhaps, in keeping with tradition, lineaged Wiccans should let them remain nameless.
I wondered at the start of this thread of the holiday names might be oathbound, but since nobody seemed to respond to that, I just assumed that they weren't.

Why would you assume that an oathbound, mystery religion would include any public information, much less be composed of ONLY public information?  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Dulliath

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:17 pm
[Kudzu]
Dulliath
PirateEire
I wondered at the start of this thread of the holiday names might be oathbound, but since nobody seemed to respond to that, I just assumed that they weren't.

Why would you assume that an oathbound, mystery religion would include any public information, much less be composed of ONLY public information?
Sorry, I guess I didn't say that very well. I know that much of the information regarding Wicca is oathbound. That is why in my first post on this thread I asked if the holiday names were oathbound.

Dulliath
TeaDidikai
Now- the holidays. Gardner himself did not title them by the Major 8 seen in the neo-pagan movement. While I would concede that the dates themselves are valid, can we call the names valid?
Before we throw out the names for the holidays, let me point out this - while I would agree that no one outside of actual Wicca can "evolve" the religion, I have heard good arguments for Wiccans inside making minor changes, such as naming the holidays.

We have some Wiccans and ex-Wiccans here. I think if they agree that the names are/were what are/were used in the lineaged Trads they are/were in, that they should be accepted as valid.

Edit: If they aren't the same, we should use whatever names are in use now for Wiccan holidays, unless, of course, that is oathbound info.

((Are/were I PC enough? AAaack!!))

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:35 am
TeaDidikai
Now- the holidays. Gardner himself did not title them by the Major 8 seen in the neo-pagan movement. While I would concede that the dates themselves are valid, can we call the names valid?

Wait? He didn't? neutral

But but but...:

Gerald B. Gardner in Witchcraft today
It is I think, fairly well known that witches observed four great festivals: May eve, August eve, November eve (Hallowe'en) and Februari eve. These seem to correspond to the divisions of the gaelic year by the four fire festivals of Samhaim or Samhuin (november 1), Brigid (februari 1), Bealteine or Beltene (may 1), and Lughnasadh (august 1).
[spelling mistakes are my own as I copied it from the book.]

confused question

Okay, he didn't label the witches festivals themself, but he did see a link. (However legid that link might be coming from a man listening to Murrey.)
I wonder how it came to be that wicca started using these terms for the festivals.  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:08 am
Brill Wavedancer
TeaDidikai

Wait? He didn't? neutral

But but but...:

Gerald B. Gardner in Witchcraft today
It is I think, fairly well known that witches observed four great festivals: May eve, August eve, November eve (Hallowe'en) and Februari eve. These seem to correspond to the divisions of the gaelic year by the four fire festivals of Samhaim or Samhuin (november 1), Brigid (februari 1), Bealteine or Beltene (may 1), and Lughnasadh (august 1).
[spelling mistakes are my own as I copied it from the book.]

confused question

Okay, he didn't label the witches festivals themself, but he did see a link. (However legid that link might be coming from a man listening to Murrey.)
I wonder how it came to be that wicca started using these terms for the festivals.

I think the ecclectics use the terms because they sound more Pagany. Just a thought, and I am not willing to prove it by asking every *coughfluffycough*.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:45 am
Brill Wavedancer

confused question

A mushroom is like a fish. They both have gils.

3nodding  

TeaDidikai

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:31 am
TeaDidikai

3nodding
You make absolutly no sense. Could you use childrens english?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:30 am
Brill Wavedancer
TeaDidikai

3nodding

It means, just because they have similar parts does not make them the same thing. Like a crab and spider. Both have eight legs.  

jaden kendam

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:07 am
But a mushroom doesn't HAVE gills. gonk The only thing in common with a fish is that they both have molecules.

Look, I get the "Samhain is a wrong title for what Wicca celebrates", even Doreen Valiente uses the title Hallowe'en for what is celebrated. I get that. (apperantly I'm not that stupid.... redface )

What I don;t get how it came to be that the title Samhain started to become synomynous with the November eve Gardner said the wicca's celebrated? That had to start somewhere and someone had to say:"Look, these share legs, so they must be the same. I am going to call them both spider."

I've been going through my books and found that the fluffybooks all claim that the festival is called Samhain and the books from the initiated, say: "They share legs." So my guess is that it all started by some selective reading from the fluffy side??? I don;t know... question  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:47 am
Brill Wavedancer
But a mushroom doesn't HAVE gills.
Actually, the frilly stuff under a mushroom's cap is referred to as gills. It's a proper mycological term, no less.

Quote:
I've been going through my books and found that the fluffybooks all claim that the festival is called Samhain and the books from the initiated, say: "They share legs." So my guess is that it all started by some selective reading from the fluffy side??? I don;t know... question
From what I've heard, Janet Farrar identified the Halloween-time Sabbat as "Samhain" in Eight Sabbats for Witches. This is where we wind up with interesting conflicts of authority - while she is a rather good authority on Wicca, being the widow of the man who assisted Alexander Sanders in the founding of his Tradition, she's a rather poor authority (from what I can tell) on Celtic religion and culture. From what I've been able to gather from people who actually spend time trying to find sources to back up fluffdom, Eight Sabbats seems to be the work referenced by a good chunk of them. It really seems like Eight Sabbats is the quintessential IRAB resource, since it seems to have just enough information to allow the reader to think they know something.  

Henry Dorsett Case

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:25 am
Henry Dorsett Case
Actually, the frilly stuff under a mushroom's cap is referred to as gills. It's a proper mycological term, no less.

eek Tea's statement suddenly makes sense.
*hits herself on the head.

Henry Dorsett Case
From what I've heard, Janet Farrar identified the Halloween-time Sabbat as "Samhain" in Eight Sabbats for Witches. This is where we wind up with interesting conflicts of authority - while she is a rather good authority on Wicca, being the widow of the man who assisted Alexander Sanders in the founding of his Tradition, she's a rather poor authority (from what I can tell) on Celtic religion and culture. From what I've been able to gather from people who actually spend time trying to find sources to back up fluffdom, Eight Sabbats seems to be the work referenced by a good chunk of them. It really seems like Eight Sabbats is the quintessential IRAB resource, since it seems to have just enough information to allow the reader to think they know something.

Janet... eek Well, she does live in Ireland. Maybe she felled she had the right to claim the name? xd
*hits herself on the head again. gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:52 am
Brill Wavedancer
Don't hit yourself too hard, or else the fluffies might start making sense, too. So will the little purple men in your sugar bowl. wink  

Henry Dorsett Case

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:09 am
Henry Dorsett Case
Brill Wavedancer
Don't hit yourself too hard, or else the fluffies might start making sense, too. So will the little purple men in your sugar bowl. wink

Wait, you mean they dont make sense now? "Ponders burning the notes on life that was given to him"  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:19 pm
Brill Wavedancer
TeaDidikai

3nodding
So- people "drew connections" and then they hijacked terms.

Other examples would be people who make the Bassat claim that Christmas = Yule.  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:03 pm
TeaDidikai

Other examples would be people who make the Bassat claim that Christmas = Yule.

I can understand why people would do that. They celebrate the birth of the Sun/Son.(at least I celebrate the birth of the sun).....lol When you say that, people will think what they think since the two words sound the same. I know that they are not the same holiday but I feel they are very similar.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff