Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
What do your parents think? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

themagikat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:43 am
ironically my best art has been made in a christian education class...

anyways, i typically get a combination of three responses from people concerning my art.
1) weird
2) disturbing
3) brilliant  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:23 pm
Pyroball
themagikat
it can get annoying to have parents unnacepting of their offspring's tastes.

i used to have to hide my sketchbook(s) from them since they think my art is "weird" (surrealism to them is not art, that and my mom wants me to be some divine scientist with the cure for cancer or aids)

I hate it when parents force their religion on their kids -_-'

Uhuh... how the hell do you think people become Catholic, Buddhist, Islamic, Jewish, Taoist, and any other religion I can think of? Do you think they magically out of thin air know what the hell a priest is, and then randomly go up to one and say "Hey I want to be Catholic, Baptize me!" No, just like how your parents taught you to speak, what right and wrong is, and whatever else they taught us when we were young, they teach us religion. They don't 'force' their religion, they are teaching you about it, people are just paranoid and feel their being oppressed so they replace 'teach' with 'force.' Come on, really those who actually do force anything upon another is greatly in the minority to the rest of the human population. It is just preparation for life, and they just want to make sure we have the ability to survive out in the world, morality being a huge part of that, for it helps gives us hope and reason to live. Really now most of us will only spend at least 18-19 years and at most 22-26 (if you stay home while at college) years of our lives in our parents household, after that you'll be on your own, in which you can do what you want, choose what you believe, where you live, what you will do for a living, its your choice. So just agree to disagree, listen and question so that you can learn, you don't need to take interest in what they believe, but you should respect what they believe, since disrespect only creates more disrespect, hatred only more hatred, plus they gave us life for crying outloud, they gave us the chance to enjoy all the things we enjoy, they truly gave us so much for dealing with us all these years, so it wouldn't hurt to give a little back. And as I said it is only for a little while longer that you have to deal with them if they bother you that much.  

IraMorti

Demonic Shapeshifter

HeatherGlover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:40 pm
My mom paid for my first set of spikes when I was 15. In her opinion I was/am just experimenting and becoming -who I am-. My dad (who is the coolest man on Earth... I am such a daddy's girl, even at 19), just rolls his eyes and says, "Nice boots. Hey uhm, I think you missed a spot, you've kind of got raccoon eyes going on".

Oh and a note on the religion bit; I must be incredibly fortunate when it comes to parents and family dynamic, etc: I was raised Agnostic and always encouraged to find my own faith and answers.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:05 pm
My parents have always treated me like another being so it hasn't changed much. They don't mind me buying black corset dresses as long as I pay for them and I can listen and play any kind of music I want as long as they don't hear it.  

Happy Children

One Love-One Hate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:49 am
my parents forced it on me, so now i have to hide who i am. it really sucks..  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:16 am
I force my parents to accept me... Fear me ningen mortals...  

Ascher

One Love-One Hate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:20 pm
lol.. okaaaaay ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:54 pm
.......my mom dosen't really know im pagan.....all i know is that she's christen and she really hates the clothes i like to wear.......my brother is atheis...... stare ....he won't shut up about it.....and my dad is a wiccan....but he dosen't really care what i look like.......  

Paine218

One Love-One Hate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:57 pm
really? your dads wiccan?! how cool!! xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:58 pm
Yuuko hiroshima
yeah.....but i don't get to see him alot...  

Paine218

boomboom633

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:13 pm
Mines 1/2 and 1/2. My mom is not completely supportive, but at least I don't have to hide it. She hates all the make-up I wear and all the black- metal I listen to. She's pushing me to wear colors again rolleyes like that'll ever happen.
My dad is a different story. I have to hide everything. When I bring over black cloths we always have to go shopping and get new ones. GD LAY OFF!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:15 pm
Paine218
Yuuko hiroshima
yeah.....but i don't get to see him alot...

Ya me and my mom are wiccans. We only have like four books to rely on though. We have wiccan meetings and stuff wich is pretty cool sometimes.  

boomboom633

sgt~cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:33 am
i'm atheis .......my mom knows it, but she pretends i'm christen  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:21 pm
Sirek
Pyroball
themagikat
it can get annoying to have parents unnacepting of their offspring's tastes.

i used to have to hide my sketchbook(s) from them since they think my art is "weird" (surrealism to them is not art, that and my mom wants me to be some divine scientist with the cure for cancer or aids)

I hate it when parents force their religion on their kids -_-'

Uhuh... how the hell do you think people become Catholic, Buddhist, Islamic, Jewish, Taoist, and any other religion I can think of? Do you think they magically out of thin air know what the hell a priest is, and then randomly go up to one and say "Hey I want to be Catholic, Baptize me!" No, just like how your parents taught you to speak, what right and wrong is, and whatever else they taught us when we were young, they teach us religion. They don't 'force' their religion, they are teaching you about it, people are just paranoid and feel their being oppressed so they replace 'teach' with 'force.' Come on, really those who actually do force anything upon another is greatly in the minority to the rest of the human population. It is just preparation for life, and they just want to make sure we have the ability to survive out in the world, morality being a huge part of that, for it helps gives us hope and reason to live. Really now most of us will only spend at least 18-19 years and at most 22-26 (if you stay home while at college) years of our lives in our parents household, after that you'll be on your own, in which you can do what you want, choose what you believe, where you live, what you will do for a living, its your choice. So just agree to disagree, listen and question so that you can learn, you don't need to take interest in what they believe, but you should respect what they believe, since disrespect only creates more disrespect, hatred only more hatred, plus they gave us life for crying outloud, they gave us the chance to enjoy all the things we enjoy, they truly gave us so much for dealing with us all these years, so it wouldn't hurt to give a little back. And as I said it is only for a little while longer that you have to deal with them if they bother you that much.

okay, my friend, when an infant is baptized into the christian faith only months after birth, how is that teaching? that is forcing. you cant teach a child less than one year old what baptism is and what it entails until they are at least old enough to make a decision that isnt based on what mommy and daddy want. when they can decide for themselves without the aid from anyone else than im happy for them, no matter what path they choose, however i dont like it when i see infants baptized, or children confirmed without knowing what it is. i was confirmed and i had no clue what anything meant until a few years later. it was around eighth grade that i learned most of what xtianity is and it was then i realized it wasnt for me, however i still worked hard to be an xtian because i wanted to make my parents happy. that fell through when i read up on paganism and i realized where i was and where i should stand, so i dont acknowlage anything that happened or any signifigance to it. if its a deadly sin, or i am wrong and im gonna suffer in your hell for it, than so be it. ill accept i was wrong and ill go to whats in store, but as for everyone else, i just want them to be able to make their own decision.  

themagikat

Rosmarin

Virtuous Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:23 pm
my dad saw me the other day in my usual outfiet, walking down the streat and listning to death metal and heavy metal... he freaked and pulled over on the streat and started yelling at me... i just glared at him and walked off... leaving him staring after me shouting...  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff