Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
British views on abortion. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:16 am
Gaulia
Alright, fine. So you want to put a kid through turmoil at the beginning of it's life so that it turns out better? Good parenting ahoy! rolleyes

Its better than killing it  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:16 am
and_solo_said
Reply 1) Actually, children who have turmoil in the early stages of their life are happier, better adjusted, and less distraught when faced with change

Reply 2) Trust me, they ask you about everything. My aunt and uncle went to 5 court hearings, a month long investigation, and are still subject to interviews when the kids are legally theirs
yes, but for that they can appear to be nice etc, maybe stop drinking for a few days, and give a good image. what happens behind closed doors isn't something that they necesarrily tell the truth about...  

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:18 am
Indie_Chick
and_solo_said
Reply 1) Actually, children who have turmoil in the early stages of their life are happier, better adjusted, and less distraught when faced with change

Reply 2) Trust me, they ask you about everything. My aunt and uncle went to 5 court hearings, a month long investigation, and are still subject to interviews when the kids are legally theirs
yes, but for that they can appear to be nice etc, maybe stop drinking for a few days, and give a good image. what happens behind closed doors isn't something that they necesarrily tell the truth about...

By observation, I meant someone living with them, and they had hto have an almost squeaky clean record to go anywhere near the orphanage  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:18 am
and_solo_said
Gaulia
Alright, fine. So you want to put a kid through turmoil at the beginning of it's life so that it turns out better? Good parenting ahoy! rolleyes

So you'd rather put someone through suffering and turmoil than kill it?

Killing it, when it was never realy alive in the first place? And you never answered my question; what is it to you to live?  

Gaulia

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:32 am
Gaulia
and_solo_said
Gaulia

Killing it, when it was never realy alive in the first place? And you never answered my question; what is it to you to live?

It can have a happy life, for a few months of oblivious turmoil. That is better than death.

And to live, is to respire

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:36 am
You two would make a brilliant couple. How about it, Rowan? Owen? Eh? wink rolleyes  

Nebelstern
Crew

Arivel

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:39 am
Nebelstern
You two would make a brilliant couple. How about it, Rowan? Owen? Eh? wink rolleyes

Psh, right. They'd always be fighting like cats and dogs. Actually, that'd be rather amusing. rolleyes

So Simon... what do you think of Adoption?  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:45 am
I have no definitive views on adoption. In some ways it is good for the child, in others, it has an adverse effect. confused  

Nebelstern
Crew

Gaulia

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:50 am
and_solo_said
Gaulia
and_solo_said
Gaulia

It can have a happy life, for a few months of oblivious turmoil. That is better than death.

So, moving off topic slightly, if you were in an accident and you were turned into a vegetable, you'd want to be kept alive? You'd want to be kept alive, which'd be a waste of your family's money, a waste of resources and time?
To me, living isn't only respiring. It's being able to think, feel, and talk.

And the bunch of cells wouldn't -know- it's "alive", would it? So it wouldn't know it'd "die".

@Nebelstern - Die.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:56 am
Alas, I shall someday... sad  

Nebelstern
Crew

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:00 am
Great.

Abortion is not about having children, it's about pregnancy. You all seem to be overlooking the fact that pregnancy can be a stressful, tiring and painful experience even when it's wanted. Why anybody would want to put somebody else through pregnancy for the sake of punishing them for having sex in the first place, I don't want to understand.

Because all twelve year-olds have made informed decisions about sex and contraception. It's not like children are ever manipulated into thinking that they want things by adults in positions of trust or like children haven't had adequate sex education at the age of twelve. Besides which, the whole "She put it there, she has to go through nine months of morning sickness, fatigue, mood swings, depression, hot flashes, back problems, heart problems, bladder problems, hypertension, etc. because it's all her fault." is an inherently mysogynistic position to take. It takes two to tango, baby: what about men? Pregnancy simulator?

Pro-life and pro-choice-but stances, I've found, are usually centred on judging people for makling mistakes or for not being able to cope. They aren't about the fetus. It's about people putting themselves in positions where they feel they are allowed to judge other people's decisions and situations with regards to sex despite the fact that they have minimalistic information about them. If you really thought that fetal life reigned supreme you wouldn't make any exception for rape. Nobody can make a decision regarding whether someone else should abort or not. Nobody should.

and_solo_said
And life begins at conception, not birth

Technically life doesn't begin at all. The sperm and ova are alive, the zygote is alive (and you realise that many zygotes are flushed out of the uterus without implanting: in a pro-life state, would we have a three minute silence every time a woman has a period?). It's not about when life begins. It's about whether something which cannot think takes precedent over the mental and social wellbeing of something which can.

Let's talk about adoption. Let's talk about making adoption a viable option: let's talk about getting older children, disabled children and children from non-white backgrounds adopted. Let's talk about the care of children who have yet to be adopted. Let's talk about reducing the number of abortions by making contraception more widely available and making people more informed. Let's talk about reducing the number of abortions by preventing pregnancy from stopping people educating themselves and getting on with their lives. Let's talk about supporting pregnant women and whatever choice they make. Let's reduce abortion by eliminating the need for it. I want that.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:09 am
Nebelstern
I have no definitive views on adoption. In some ways it is good for the child, in others, it has an adverse effect. confused

I know exactly what you mean. neutral  

Arivel

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:54 am
I don't think abortion can really be described as murder. However, I do believe that apart from in cases of rape, sever deformity or other exceptions abortion is a highly morally dubios form of action to take. Maybe it doesn't rank as high as murder, but it's certainly not good. Despite this, though, I feel that it has to be legal, simply because it's better than the alternative. The alterrnative is, on one hand, mothers who couldn't get an abortion and don't want children simply abandoning their babies, and on the other hand the problem of back street abortions. Both of these consequences are sufficiently bad to make it necessary to have abortion legal.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:58 am
Gaulia
and_solo_said
Gaulia
and_solo_said
Gaulia

So, moving off topic slightly, if you were in an accident and you were turned into a vegetable, you'd want to be kept alive? You'd want to be kept alive, which'd be a waste of your family's money, a waste of resources and time?
To me, living isn't only respiring. It's being able to think, feel, and talk.

And the bunch of cells wouldn't -know- it's "alive", would it? So it wouldn't know it'd "die".

@Nebelstern - Die.

I would rather be dead, unless it was temporary. And the foetal stage is temporary  

and_solo_said

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:08 pm
and_solo_said
Indie_Chick
and_solo_said
Gaulia
Indie_Chick
a raped 12 year old should have an abortion, definitely, and so should one who wasnt raped. She's been stupid and got herself in a mess, but really se should get herself out of it.

Yeah. I think that anyone who's been raped should have an abortion - unless they actually feel that they can cope with the stress of actually having the baby. And hats off to anyone who does - that is a strong person.
Pregnant kids who weren't raped, I agree, should have an abortion. It's too young to have your hands tied down by a baby.

They should teach you something useful in school. The consequences of having a kid when you're still in your early teens being one of them.

If you get pregnant at 12, it is your own fault, have the baby, put it up for adoption, and learn to to be so damn thick
oh shutup you tosser.

I know several people (chavs, obviously) who have had abortions at 12. and hey werent raped. WHilst they are stupid, they arent ready for that. ANd I agree with gaulia that schools should teach more useful stuff like that.

If they are mature enough to have sex, then they are mature enough to have a child

Come on, Owen, that's bollocks and you know it. It's only true in the most strictly biological way.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games