Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:47 pm
anime_freak777
DR490N
i dont know exactly what you mean, but the gothic stereotype around here(london, ontario, canada) isn't even real goth. you cant mention the bauhaus, siouxsie and the banshees, the sexgang children, TSOL, or anything like that and have someone pipe up and go "hey man thats totally a goth band", or "hey i've heard their stuff!" if you mention goth, people immediately jump to the conclusion that you listen to marolyn manson, like to walk around at night with crappy eye makeup, and listen to death metal all day long.
That's how it is everywhere. People never conncet actual Goth music with our subculture. They always think Manson, Slipknot,Green Day,PATD!,or Evanescence.

I listen to Slipknot and Evanescence, and tons of metal, but I also like some of the real stuff. wink

I don't really care what's "Goth". I just like the music.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:12 pm
People try to put me into the typical "goth" stereotype, but i don't belong in some clique, labels are for soup cans and people without opinions.  

eternallyyours711

The Hurt Inside

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:14 pm
People call me goth but I don't refer to myself as one (nor am I really one). Yes, I like dark things. Yes, I like goth music (the true goth music as outlined in the Goth Rock 101 guide). But, at the same time, I:

Wear colored shirts sometimes
Love sports/the outdoors
Am rarely depressed
Have no "goth" friends
Am not a satanist (I know, not all goths are. Bear with me as I use stereotypical goth traits)
Do not do drugs of any kind
Do not drink (especially blood)
Am very dedicated to school
Have friends who could be called preps/cheerleaders
Listen to way more than just metal (funny how most metal bands are called goth...)
I would prefer to not be related to the people who think goth is hanging out at Hot Topic on a Friday evening. I admit to shopping there simply because I love to support my favorite bands and aside from online, it's the only store that sells band shirts.

For as much as people love to call me goth, the term doesn't really fit me well. neutral  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:39 pm
The Hurt Inside
People call me goth but I don't refer to myself as one (nor am I really one). Yes, I like dark things. Yes, I like goth music (the true goth music as outlined in the Goth Rock 101 guide). But, at the same time, I:

Wear colored shirts sometimes
Love sports/the outdoors
Am rarely depressed
Have no "goth" friends
Am not a satanist (I know, not all goths are. Bear with me as I use stereotypical goth traits)
Do not do drugs of any kind
Do not drink (especially blood)
Am very dedicated to school
Have friends who could be called preps/cheerleaders
Listen to way more than just metal (funny how most metal bands are called goth...)
I would prefer to not be related to the people who think goth is hanging out at Hot Topic on a Friday evening. I admit to shopping there simply because I love to support my favorite bands and aside from online, it's the only store that sells band shirts.

For as much as people love to call me goth, the term doesn't really fit me well. neutral

Well, the term can fit you, depending on the definition you follow.

Many goths (particularly those who have been in the scene longer) define a goth strictly as "a fan of goth rock". In which case, (given that no other factors are involved) you would be a goth.  

GilAskan
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:41 pm
eternallyyours711
People try to put me into the typical "goth" stereotype, but i don't belong in some clique, labels are for soup cans and people without opinions.

Ehh, yes and no.

Labels are just adjectives which allow our minds to assort traits. If labels are used accurately, there's nothing wrong with them.

For example, let's go under the old definition of "A goth is an avid fan of goth-rock".

I am an avid fan of goth-rock. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with calling me a goth.

The problem with labels only comes from when they are used incorrectly, they are misunderstood, or have stereotypes attached to them.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:01 pm
Hmmm... I'm not excatly sure what you mean by the question.
Most people who don't really know me, will call me gothic. But i'm not. I'm just me.

lyssiah

Siddonne

High-functioning Newb

8,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:58 pm
Gothic culture was formed in the 80's with baisically the start to the metal and death metal scene. "Goth" Only really became a stereotype when it took off with such bands as The Bauhaus, Siouxsie and The Banshees..(ect) There is no definitive type of music or dress sense that links to "goth" People, It is all just peoples perceptions and views. Most "goths" Are labelled so because of people being afraid or unsure of what is different to their own lives.

If you stick a label on something it usually sticks there for a lifetime. People listening to "gothic" music usually have no idea of the meanings behind most of the lyrics.
Marilyn Mansons lyrics tell of his childhood and the pains he felt when he realised he was different from most people.
CoF's lyrics are mostly about Satan and catholocism, Dani Filth wrote almost all of their original songs either drunk or high and hearing voices. Quite often the exact words spoken by the voices he heard are the lyrics.
Slipknot's music is all a facade, Half of the members are devout christians and put on a show.

That is all music is, A face, A show put on to give the people what they want. The culture associated with music of these genres is hardly near the truth, Music is what it means to you as a person, You shouldn't go around saying you love all these bands if they have no meaning to you as an individual.
I like some songs by metal, Death metal, Rock, punk, and even pop bands because they touch me and have meanings,Not because the person next door to me likes them.

Emo has nothing to do with people, Quite often it is a state of mind, Not a dress sense, People only started dressing like that to seemingly it in with others, Emo is a gimmik, The people whoare truely emotoinal or "emo" Are quite often depressed and just trying to show their emotions to those around them, But people tend to get caught up in fads and mareting gimmiks to take notice of the people behind the hair, Or the glasses.. or even the damn designer label clothing.

Black clothing is just a shade of clothing. I get labbeled as a "goth" Because I wear black. But I am larger than most people would define "normal" Figures and bodies, I wear black clothing because it is what flatters my body type, Not because I go out and try to be like all of these other people, But because I am simply trying to be myself and suit my life to my my own life. No one elses.

Makeup is simply makeup, Nothing more nothing less, You use it to hide blemishes, To accentuate features of yourself that you want people to notice. Yes alot of people wear it for shock value, But that is mainly for their own gain. If you wear makeup you should wear it in a way that will suit you as a person. Not the rest of the world.
White skin is simply white skin. Not for fashion or to look cool. If companies want to use it to their advantage then so be it.

Just because your friends shop at Hot Topic and all that does not mean that you have to to fit in.

If people cant accept you for you then they are not worth having in your lives. Everyone is different in their own way. The more you try to fit in, The more you make others see things your way. The more you lose of yourself.

Keep true to what you like, What suits you, and how you feel screw everyone else and their beliefs. It doesn't matter what colour clothing you wear, How you do your hair, Or even how different your body is from anothers, What matters is that you are yourself and that you feel comfortable in who you are.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:44 pm
Actually, I've been called emo before rolleyes  

Reinik

Interstellar Abomination

UnoriginalName

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:35 pm
I wear black...
Occasionally other dark colors because I don't have enough black pants.
Oh, I also have one of those Nightmare Before Christmas sweatshirts that I've pretty much worn into it wearing down, though, it is about two years old (got it as a gift a really long time ago while at Disneyland)
I've also got this ankh necklace that I wear.
I'm also oddly pale and eccentric.
Yet, I almost never get stereotyped as a goth. *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:02 pm
First off...

"They always think Manson, Slipknot,Green Day,PATD!,or Evanescence."

Wow. Okay, Manson may be looped into the "Gothic" scene, but Slipknot is more metalhead's band. Green Day is Punk. Panic! At The Disco is just...mainstream, as is Evanescence.

Now, onto if I am or am not a stereotypical "Goth"...Nope. Not at all. I do not wear all black, only at times, I am not a Satanist in the slightest, I do not walk around at night like a vampire, or any other of the living dead...I am just Me. And "Me" is unfortunately looped in with the label "Goth" just like many other people my age are looped in with other labels. Like we're goddamned soup cans.

Anyway...I am not unnaturally pale. I have a tan in real life, thankyouverymuch. I am not constantly, "Let's go freak out the neighbors with our scary-a** looks!" I have tons of friends, and good grades. I am only "Goth" by the clothes I wear, and the subculture I am immersed within.

Devastating-Dreamer

Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces