Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Preta-natural Awareness & the Pragmatic Application of Faith Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does Tea need to stop using big words?
  Unquestionably so
  No
  Maybe
  I don't know...
  Can you repeat the question?
View Results

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:42 am
Elfin Brill
It seems I've been confused about the whole concept of talent. eek Some people loose they ability to walk at some point of life, although before they might have been real talents at it. That could happen to esoteric talents? Could someone become psychic deaf for instance for some reason or another, while before they where real talents in it?

Nothing is permanent. Like many talents, if you don't work at something sometimes it leaves you. Music degrades if you do not practise. Ageing pianists get arthritis and can't play anymore (or get botox treatment). Your talent for walking will leave eventually when you have two false hips and varicose veins.

Psychic talent might well leave if you don't work at it. Someone who may be naturally talented may have it beaten out of them if always told that such things don't exist. When people get old and mentally unstable their psychic skills may degrade. Nothing lasts forever.

Aw now I've got that Paul Simon song stuck in my head... "Everything put together, sooner or later falls apart..."  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:13 am
Elfin Brill
It seems I've been confused about the whole concept of talent. eek Some people loose they ability to walk at some point of life, although before they might have been real talents at it. That could happen to esoteric talents? Could someone become psychic deaf for instance for some reason or another, while before they where real talents in it?

I'm no expert at matters psychic.
I have little to no talent, again I don't consider Empathy to be a psychich gift in my case but a magjic3kal one.
I know that you can go "magically deaf" (or "burn out" as my trad calls it) and you can inflict this on people (husking, harrowing, binding, whatever you want to call it).  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

VisasMarr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:57 pm
missmagpie
honorofdarkn3ss
Psychic awareness and the ability to do anything with it is more heavily based on talent then anything else in this world.
Prove it. It requires more natural talent than prodigal music? So Mozart composing at the age of 4 was purely due to luck? I'm afraid if you make sweeping generalised statements like that you're going to have to support them.

Your idividualised "proof" of your statement doesn't count because of your assumption that something that applies to you applies to everyone. Just because you can't learn to be a reactive empath doesn't mean everyone else can't.

Quote:
We CAN'T prove magick scientifically in any way besides brainwaves, everything else is attributed to coincidence.
First of all, we're not debating "magick" at all. That's something entirely different - as far as I know most of us aren't Thelemites.

As for psychic powers, have you considered that empathy can be explained by using the other five senses? Body language and facial expressions can show how others are feeling. Recognising that the other person is a reactive being with similar emotions to yourself can lead one to empathise with their situation (Black and Phillips 1982).

Source (Scroll down to "Empathy training". There are also some interesting correlations between childrearing practises and empathy in children.)

Thanks for the link, that was very interesting smile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:51 am
Elfin Brill
Is walking a talent? eek Why is that?

Sorry for the delay...
I use the term talent to describe an inherent or innate potential.
A person with much talent for dancing, will be naturally graceful and move with a certain artistry even without training...
Someone with little talent, will require more practice to develope that potential.
On occassion, someone will lack a talent for something entirely, and thus be completely unable to do such a task in a natural manner.

A lack of talent can be circumvented... adn talent can atrophy if undeveloped.

I suppose I should call it a natural predisposition....

Also, as unfair as it is, some people have talnets for which their body is poorly equiped to exploit...
In my case, I am a natural climber and fencer, yet my short, stocky body is not of the optimum design for either of those activities.

I consider psychic phenomena just another natural expression of human potential, but like all expressions of potential, it is limited by natural inclination (talent) and development (training).
While I have seen people overcome a lack of training...
A person without talent is generally unable to make even the most basic progress in training.  

Fiddlers Green

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces