Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Malystryx
  Who?
  The Dragon Overlord?
View Results

Mousie Mousekavitz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:31 pm
I was very sad to here of her death. I remember reading a Wrinkle in Time - it seems like forever ago. I barely remember what it was about but I remember loving it. I need to pick her books back up again. I loved A Swiftly Tilting Planet too - good stuff.

I thought the 4th dimension was time.... hmmm... must look up a Tesseract...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:21 pm
When I first read that series I was a very young "teenager" and I named some of my stuffed animal collection after some of my favorite characters from her books.

I haven't read them in a long time but I remember loving them. I remember noticing the tradition Hero theme and I remember noticing the Christian theme as well. On many levels that might be why I connected with them so well. I read them at a time in my life when all I wanted to do was get away from the world...and I did everytime I picked up one of those books.  

bizzybee723

murphyad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:28 am
it's been so long since i have read these books i'm going back and finding them  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:38 pm
I read the book, liked it, watched the movie, and disliked it. The book was better than the movie. But overall, A Wrinkle in Time is pretty...unique.  

Shinigami_Princess

bunnyrulerofthemoon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:49 pm
It's been a while since I've read these books...I love them though, but not so much the one aobut Meg's grandaughter going back in time...I don't remember what it's called, "An Acceptable Time" I think.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:03 am
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Wrinkle= heart

Number one:

Quote:
Well, no, I remember a Maddoc or Maddog or something in one, as the bad guy. I liked that book.

Their were several characters in A Swiftly Tilting Planet with variations on this name, which was originally the name of a fabled Welsh prince(Maddoc) who came to America before the Vikings (according to the story). The name evolves into "Madog Branzillo," (or Mad Dog) who was the evil dictator of a South American country, Vespugia, in Meg and Charles Wallace's time. This is the one where Charles Wallace has to travel through time to fix the "Might-have-beens" which lead to the current state of emergency. The O'Keefe family history plays a large part in this book, and the name of Charles Wallace's unicorn-guardian (Gaudior) is declared to have the same meaning as that of the Murrys' newly (and strangely) acquired dog (Ananda). All of the plot twists and connections were what made me love the book.

And the one with Meg's daughter Poly/Polly is called An Acceptable Time.

As for the stealing of a Black Sea legend, the tale of the Great Flood was from Jewish history. It was in the Old Testament. And Madeleine L'Engle was a Christian, so why should that not color her work? In fact, I don't doubt that many other "Christians" would reject her work because they don't like the things it says about Christianity, or the abilities Meg and Charles Wallace have.

On a final note, the Crusaders were not followers of Christ. They were evil or deceived men who used the corrupted power of the Church to seek out earthly riches.  

CLynnia

Black_Rose10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:21 am
I have read all that series, and infact I'm reading one of her books right now, Troubling a Star. Its diffrent but good. I was at a garage sale and reconized the author and here it is. >.<

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:56 am
heart sounds good haven't read it yet. heart  

felicity_mills

Cattie-Brie14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:03 am
I like looking at the books in a religious point of view because it adds more to me. and i don't think the books went on a downward slope.!!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 pm
I've read it twice. Once in 6th grade, the other in 8th. And I'm going into my senior year of HS, and I don't think that I can understand it still.
It's very good, but way too over the heads of the kids it's written for.  

Venus of the Crows

Minerva the Bookwyrm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:42 pm
Overall, I didn't like A Wrinkle in Time. I didn't find the It frightening, and I thought it was incredibly boring that Meg defeated It by hugging It. That being said, I did adore little Charles Wallace. A five year-old that's loving, yet intelligent and arrogant is entertaining as well as original.

Also, I enjoyed some of L'engle's other works, such as Many Waters. It's just that A Wrinkle in Time is so popular that I was disappointed in it when i read it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:41 pm
I read it when i was in sixth grade, and that was four years ago.
BUT, i remember loving the books that my English teacher had in her collection. I'm not sure if i read all of the books.

But, I'm planning on buying them at borders.  

suki-chan24

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces