Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
The Ridiculously Huge List of BL Stereotypes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Saint Ayame-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:32 pm
oh come on stop lying,

WE ALL LOVE BL CLICHES!

XD heart  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:09 pm
Miss Sushii: Rulin' ya universes...

How about the gay student body president/student council president?
I swaer, THEY ARE ALL GAY! O__O
...since 1992.

User_2629207

ObREJECTive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:09 pm
princessMeep
-(almost) always seme/uke - rarely seke/seke
-uke (almost) always has really big eyes/long hair/some other rediculously girly trait
-uke (almost) always is reluctant
-or uke is helplessly in love with a seme who doesn't want him
-someone (almost) always has a tragic past
-someone (almost) always has an attitude problem or something

I have more, but these ones always come to mind.

The first sterotype is 100% correct.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:55 am
How about the whole 'new boy start at an all boys-school and everyone, including him, are homosexual'? That stereotype is also featured a lot in Yuri as well, I believe. lol  

sjdfnkwnf

Vanni_starling

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 pm
The underage googleeyes uke -broken by Bohra
The older/taller seme (or tiny uke) Broken ny Bohra
the everyone under the age of twenty (Broken by Nanao Bohra, bless her)
the 'hate leads to hot sex' relationship
the 'sex heals' relationship, or in softer yaoi the 'tru luv heals' - you've all seen it, one of the pair is broken curshed by life angst forever and then in about five seconds the other comes by and has sex/says I love you and magically the world is better
the 'abused to death' usually uke but sometimes seme, the horrible abuse that they suffer all their life that magically is unimportant when they meet THE RIGHT ONE
the 'my parents are against this' break-up
the kidnapped uke (looking at you, FAKE)
the cosplayed/catboy/dressed like a girl uke (Legal Drug and Loveless)
the 'I've always wanted you' excuse for every unlikely seeming pair
the 'horrible brat everyone loves anyway' usually uke again. Wolfgang in KKM
the 'bicycle' Everybody loves him! Sometimes everyone at ONCE loves him!
no condems. AIDS doesn't exist. Except for angst.
the evil sadistic guy who finds true love and is actually just a badass with a heart of gold underneath it all. Sadism doesn't ALWAYS go away for the sake of love in a psych class.. but in BL? Unless it's really kinky BL of types I avoid? - seme.
the broken doll who needs to be controlled and melts the heart of above evil sadist who isn't. uke
If the seme rapes the uke, for any reason, or if consent is questionable? TRU LUV will emerge.
the 'assigned roles' If anyone can point me to a pair where fandom hasn't assigned "SEME" and "UKE" I'll be happy. Whatever happened to people being in the mood to switch and take turns?

You know... I have so much fun breaking these in roleplay XD Nothing wrong with them in anime now and again but they happen ALL THE TIME  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:34 pm
Oh yes. Almost forgot. the 'perfect health' versus 'deadly disease'
EITHER all characters will be perfectly healthy and beautiful and sexy and suffer nothing more than a cold or maybe a minor wound OR one will have some deadly disease. That still manages to make them look fine.

Only rarely do I see missing or disfigured anything. BL lives in a world where the only thing it can be is a small cold that needs comforting from a seme or cancer that generates angst until it goes into remission. Everything else goes away, because withered limbs, prosthetic limbs, burned anything, skin conditions, or anything else aren't hot enough, paralyzation makes the smex hard, and mental condtions like Alzhiemers are right out. (Being a sociopath is fine, but drooling is not)

Blind is fine, though. So are glasses. That's angsty and sad. I see a lot less deaf/mute than blind. Odd.

I'm not saying this is bad, but I am saying it's unrealistic. And some small part of me thinks a prosthetic limb would makes things more interesting :3  

Vanni_starling

sjdfnkwnf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:39 am
Vanni_starling
the 'assigned roles' If anyone can point me to a pair where fandom hasn't assigned "SEME" and "UKE" I'll be happy. Whatever happened to people being in the mood to switch and take turns?

I cannot start to explain how much I agree with you on this one, Vanni! biggrin I've grown tired of the whole 'one has to feminine, one has to be masculine' plot. I find it a lot more realistic if both of them look, act and talks like a man mainly because I can relate better to the characters then.

But that brings up an important point; Yaoi is made by women for women. In other words, maybe the uke is there so the female viewers/readers can relate better to the relationship?

Anyways, I would love to watch/read a Yaoi with no seme-uke relationship; that's like a dream to me. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 am
I think the seme/uke system originated because a lot of BL was just a thin ploy for women to read about an equal romantic situation (even a story where the social inquality is the main gimmick, there's still more emotional equality than between a man and a women, especially in a country like Japan) that they could insert themselves to: look at early BL and a lot still coming out. The uke tends to be this boring milquetoast sort of everyman character, almost like the main guy in a seinen harem series. It's the seme that's appealing.

Aaaanyway a couple stories where they switch, or where I don't remember if they switch but they totally could:

Kusatta Kyoushi no Houteishiki
Seikimatsu Darling (this is actually a short parody BL anime based on the idea that two guys are roughly the same age, same height, and same hair color)
Kiss Scandal  

Skizzors
Crew

sjdfnkwnf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:34 pm
Yes, it probably is. I just wish I could watch/read Yaoi about two masculine men who fall in love and have an equal relationship and, of course, are both interesting personalities on their own.

Anyways, thank you so much for the recommendations; I will check them out immediately! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:24 am
I love Ouran high school host club! :3
Kyouya ish mine D<
razz
anyway...
why not put the types from Ouran host club?
Naughty type, little devil type, lonely prince type, cool type, shota! Don't forget shota!, and so on so forth
I love the episode where the twins argue on you gets to be seme :]]
yay host club!
Im out~  

[`Novacaine]

Devout Explorer

6,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Edward 100

Labtech Abi

Friendly Pumpkin

8,975 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:45 pm
Ugh. :Gonk:

Don't forget my personal fav:

The Uke-gets-sad-so-seme-comforts-uke-with-p***s?!

Or the ever populer I-hate-you-but-I-love-you???!!!-WTF?!

(I personally like the second one xd )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:26 pm
Possibly the most typical stereotypes that are often thought of in my family are guys who act highly effeminate. They don't often think that BL guys don't act masculine at all.  

Hal B Noire

Dapper Explorer

Kashira Ka04

Liberal Perfectionist

5,900 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:37 am
It would be nice if there peronalities evened out a bit more realistically.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:08 am
I cant believe anyone's said this yet, but the whole "but we're both BOYS" thing shows up in a LOT of yaoi manga/anime - mostly because the Uke is usually all innocent and unknowledgable about stuff like that. I know its a relevant issue but it kind of annoys me that there isnt as much stuff where they just.... skipped the whole "uke discovers himself" thing.  

Yofiel

Skizzors
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:09 am
I also like how, despite undoubtedly going through an "I'm-not-gay" denial phase, the guys in the relationship ALWAYS know exactly what to do.. and can do it perfectly.

At least in Challengers, the story made a point of them messing up and forgetting the lube. (Of course, it would be no good if EVERY SINGLE SERIES EVER started focusing on them messing up either..)  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff