13th Chime
Abney Park
Ataraxia
Cinema Strange
Danse Society
Girls Under Glass
Miranda Sex Garden

& of course many more

A good list. I could go into the whole "goth / deathrock / darkwave" division, but I don't feel like it...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:48 pm
GilAskan
StarryDynamo
Bauhaus
Siouxsie & The Banshees
The Sisters of Mercy
The Sisterhood
The Mission [UK]
[Clan of] Xymox
Dead Can Dance
London After Midnight
Switchblade Symphony
And Also The Trees
Fields of the Nephilim
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Tragic Black
Unto Ashes
Audra
Voltaire
Tones on Tail
Lycia
Autumn Tears
Autumns Grey Solace
Soul Whirling Somewhere
Lowsunday
Love Spirals Downwards
Lovespirals
This Ascension
Rajna
Black Tape for a Blue Girl
Cruxshadows
Attrition
Mors Syphilitica
Thanatos
Human Drama
Mira
Bella Morte
Diary of Dreams
James Ray
The Cranes
Claire Voyant
Rhea's Obsession
The Machine in the Garden
Written in Ashes
Advent Sleep
Tracy Jill
Jennifer Hope
Sauce of the Future
The Azoic
Rosetta Stone
The Wake
Razed in Black
Playdead
Rose of Avalanche
Screams for Tina
All About Eve
Eva O
Gitane Demone
The Shroud
David E. Williams
Faith and Disease
Faith and the Muse
Nosferatu
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Cocteau Twins
The Creatures
The Cure
The Glove
Skeletal Family
Specimen
Christian Death
Alien Sex Fiend
Virgin Prunes
Sex Gang Children
Ausgang
Shadow Project
Phantom Limbs
13th Chime
Abney Park
Ataraxia
Cinema Strange
Danse Society
Girls Under Glass
Miranda Sex Garden

& of course many more

A good list. I could go into the whole "goth / deathrock / darkwave" division, but I don't feel like it...

Thank you smile

I actually started making that list by having a seperate section for Deathrock... but, yep, I didn't feel like bothering with that, either =P  

Kosova4Life

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:08 pm
Hmm... here are a few bands whom I listen to...

Attrition
Audra
Aversion, The
Bauhaus
Collide
Cruxshadows, The
Dead Can Dance
Ego Likeness
London After Midnight
Mors Syphilitica
Swithcblade Symphony
ThouShaltNot
Unto Ashes
Voltaire

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure that theres more. Also, I listen to many gothic-inspiried bands who aren't nessecariallly gothic (eg. Nightwish, Malice Mizer, etc.)  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:00 pm
my music:

Goth rock:
The Cure
Sisters of Mercy
Bauhaus
joy division (yes, love will tear us apart)
depeche mode
Souixie and the Banshees

dakwave:
the cure (also, above)
The Cruxshadows

dark cabaret:
Voltaire

Industrial/metal/rock (not goth):
System of a down

Gothic metal/metal:
moi dix mois
lacuna coil
cradle of filth

.+Melanthios+.

ketchakik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:50 pm
bauhaus
sisters of mercy
nick cave and bad seed
echo and the bunnymen
voltaire
cure
souixe and the banshees
alien sex fiend

there was this one romanian band.....i can't remember their name but they drew heavilly from gypsy music...and they seemed pretty goth to me too...  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:26 am
GilAskan
MysteryCross
Isn't AFI, My Chemical Romance, and Evanescence considered "emo screamo"??? 0o?? and wha about Avenged Sevenfold?? 0o???

AFI - Hardcore Revival

My Chemical Romance - Powerpop

Evanescence - Symphonic Metal

Avenged Sevenfold - Post-hardcore w/ metal influences

"Screamo" isn't a real genre. Most bands called "screamo" are powerpop, or some related genre.

"Emo" stands for "emotive hardcore" (NOT emotional) and is best represented by bands like "Sunny Day Real Estate" and "Rites of Spring". The genre is very similar to hardcore-punk, however, it features emotionally evocative lyrics (hence the name "emotive hardcore"), rather than the apathetic, hate-driven anthems of hardcore.

In response to what I bolded - I disagree.

I honestly couldn't give you a genre to fit them in, but symphonic metal isn't it. For the most part I've classified symphonic metal as bands who use the "symphony" as an element - usually depicted with a keyboard. They also include very operatic themes either in the way the music is played or also inluding that strong female soprano for a singer.

Examples being Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation - which strays sometimes, in my opinion, Leaves' Eyes, and After Forever - to name a few.

MortSanglant

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:15 pm
You know, I don't really listen to goth music. That's one of the reasons I don't label myself as "goth," because none of the bands I listen to is actually goth. I listen to bands like AFI and MCR, but I know they're not goth and I don't care, I like them anyway. Most of the bands I listen to are punk, alternative, or classic rock. Bands like Green Day, Ramones, The Clash, Van Halen, Rush, etc.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:23 pm
MortSanglant
GilAskan
MysteryCross
Isn't AFI, My Chemical Romance, and Evanescence considered "emo screamo"??? 0o?? and wha about Avenged Sevenfold?? 0o???

AFI - Hardcore Revival

"Screamo" isn't a real genre. Most bands called "screamo" are powerpop, or some related genre.

"Emo" stands for "emotive hardcore" (NOT emotional) and is best represented by bands like "Sunny Day Real Estate" and "Rites of Spring". The genre is very similar to hardcore-punk, however, it features emotionally evocative lyrics (hence the name "emotive hardcore"), rather than the apathetic, hate-driven anthems of hardcore.

I honestly couldn't give you a genre to fit them in, but symphonic metal isn't it. For the most part I've classified symphonic metal as bands who use the "symphony" as an element - usually depicted with a keyboard. They also include very operatic themes either in the way the music is played or also inluding that strong female soprano for a singer.

Examples being Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation - which strays sometimes, in my opinion, Leaves' Eyes, and After Forever - to name a few.

I understand why you wouldn't consider Evanescence symphonic metal. I consider them of the genre because it's the genre they seem most derivitive of, or perhaps, imitate most. Their music may not have the sweeping orchestral movements of Nightwish, for example, but they do use symphonic elements such as violins and pipe-organ in the background. More than anything, Amy Lee's operatic voice clearly is trying to mirror Lacuna Coil's Cristina Scabbia or Nightwish's Tarja Turunen.  

GilAskan
Crew

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:04 pm
GilAskan
MortSanglant
GilAskan
MysteryCross

AFI - Hardcore Revival

I understand why you wouldn't consider Evanescence symphonic metal. I consider them of the genre because it's the genre they seem most derivitive of, or perhaps, imitate most. Their music may not have the sweeping orchestral movements of Nightwish, for example, but they do use symphonic elements such as violins and pipe-organ in the background. More than anything, Amy Lee's operatic voice clearly is trying to mirror Lacuna Coil's Cristina Scabbia or Nightwish's Tarja Turunen.

I do agree about the vocal aspect. I think moreso Cristina than Tarja.

It's not a big deal to me, I just felt like pointing out that they don't seem to fit the genre too much to me. I do suppose that since I've failed in the act of placing them in another genre that it would be logical to keep them in the symphonic metal bracket.

whee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:45 pm
MortSanglant
GilAskan
MortSanglant
GilAskan
MysteryCross

AFI - Hardcore Revival

It's not a big deal to me, I just felt like pointing out that they don't seem to fit the genre too much to me. I do suppose that since I've failed in the act of placing them in another genre that it would be logical to keep them in the symphonic metal bracket.

whee

Damn, you people know what your talking about. eek

I always considered them to be some derivitive of nu-metal, but maybe that's just because I don't like them.

Also, would you consider Theatre of Tragedy symphonic metal?

DOORphrame

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:11 pm
elektro-harder
MortSanglant
GilAskan
MortSanglant
GilAskan
MysteryCross

AFI - Hardcore Revival

whee

Damn, you people know what your talking about. eek

I always considered them to be some derivitive of nu-metal, but maybe that's just because I don't like them.

Also, would you consider Theatre of Tragedy symphonic metal?

First, Evanescence is nowhere NEAR nu-metal. Remember, nu-metal =/= new metal. Nu-metal is characterized by elements of thrash, gangster rap, and electronica being blended. Nu-metal bands might include Linkin Park, koRn, Mushroomhead, or (arguably) Limp Bizkit.

As for Theatre of Tragedy, it's widely argued what genre they fall under. Not many (that I know of) would consider them symphonic metal, but rather, doom metal, a style of "slow, sludgy, creepy metal meant to evoke feelings of impending doom". Others call them gothic-metal (which has little relation to goth rock), a style of metal with heavy metal aggression, but goth-rock inspired aestheticism and dramatic presentation.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:29 pm
Birthday massacre is a goth type of band thats awsome.  

darkest_hour91

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:35 pm
darkest_hour91
Birthday massacre is a goth type of band thats awsome.

Birthday Massacre is darkwave, not goth-rock. Albeit, darkwave is fairly closely connected to goth-rock and the goth scene.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:08 pm
What about The Perfect Circle??? [kinda weird that no one has mentioned them yet... 0o?!] I totally agree with Depeche Mode and some others like Birthday Massacre....  

MysteryCross

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:56 pm
MysteryCross
What about The Perfect Circle??? [kinda weird that no one has mentioned them yet... 0o?!] I totally agree with Depeche Mode and some others like Birthday Massacre....

I'm not sure exactly what you'd call A Perfect Circle.
Experimental for lack of a better word?

Depeche Mode
New-wave with some goth-rock albums?

The Birthday Massacre was given a genra above by GilAskan (who may be one of those to kindly correct me where I may have failed in this post)

Unless you were agreeing that Depeche Mode and The Birthday Massacre were not goth.
*Was a bit thrown off by your wording*  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces