Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
~SNEEZES~.... Bless you... ~GROWL~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:58 am
Wood Sorrel
I'd blame your comdoms, frankly... confused
As inanimate objects, they are only as good as their users. And this wasn't operator error. But anyway- slightly off topic. The flavor side points of the thread isn't really the issue.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:33 am
Unless someone's diety is enimical towards you, why would you find it offensive that they are asking for the same intercession on your behalf that they would ask for themselves? ninja  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:01 pm
Fiddlers Green
Unless someone's diety is enimical towards you, why would you find it offensive that they are asking for the same intercession on your behalf that they would ask for themselves? ninja
Couple reasons. For one, depending on the Deity, their idea of blessing might be a far cry from what I actually need.

Case in point- asking a god in a fertility ritual to bless someone who has no desire to be with child while sprinkling the belly might not be the best of ideas.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:59 pm
TeaDidikai
Couple reasons. For one, depending on the Deity, their idea of blessing might be a far cry from what I actually need.

Case in point- asking a god in a fertility ritual to bless someone who has no desire to be with child while sprinkling the belly might not be the best of ideas.

Yes, but that's a case of the stupid... not in the actual being blessed by another person's diety issue. It's the other peson not considering the blessing they request... This could almost be considered a mis-cast dweomer... if it weren't for the external intellegences.
confused  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:23 pm
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

Yes, but that's a case of the stupid... not in the actual being blessed by another person's diety issue. It's the other peson not considering the blessing they request... This could almost be considered a mis-cast dweomer... if it weren't for the external intellegences.
confused
Yet- if you want a blessing, would you not ask for it yourself?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:43 pm
TeaDidikai
Yet- if you want a blessing, would you not ask for it yourself?

As some of my friends have taught me...
You help your friends, even when they don't understand, and might not know to ask for it.
Only if it is explicitly forbidden should a friend not exert themselves in the aid of those they love. wink  

Fiddlers Green

queertastrophy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:05 am
missmagpie
This is why I say "Gesundheit."

Same. I was never a big fan of "God bless you" or "[I personally] Bless you" (I reserve the latter for the people I'm close to; I don't really say it to anybody). I find it better to just wish people good health.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:12 am
In my country we never say anything of the "Bless you!" variant. "Gezondheid!" is said, much like our German neighbours.

Maybe you all could start a trend of saying "Good health to you! " everytime someone sneezes. It could even be shortened to "Good health!".  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

queertastrophy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 am
Elfin Brill
Maybe you all could start a trend of saying "Good health to you! " everytime someone sneezes. It could even be shortened to "Good health!".

For some reason, I think saying "Good health to you!" sounds silly, and "Gesundheit" sounds better.

Most of my friends took/kind of understand German anyway, and they know the meaning of Gesundheit.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:42 am
BlueRoseTorn
For some reason, I think saying "Good health to you!" sounds silly, and "Gesundheit" sounds better.

It only is sounds silly because nobody else does it. The more people will say it, the less silly it becomes.  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

queertastrophy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:20 am
Elfin Brill
BlueRoseTorn

It only is sounds silly because nobody else does it. The more people will say it, the less silly it becomes.

I know that's why. I doubt it'll catch on, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:02 am
I'm game, I'll try it. 3nodding  

Fiddlers Green

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:36 am
I find myself saying "Bless you" around a good majority of my friends, mainly because most of them are Christian and somewhat expect to be given a "Bless you". Among my friends who are otherwise, I tend to wind up asking "are you okay?" or reminding them "please keep your trachea and lungs inside your vessel until your life has come to a full and complete stop". "Gesundheit" and "Salud" tend to get used a lot, too. Then again, I get this image of a Brahman-like All-Deity quirking an eyebrow at "Bless you" and asking "Which aspect are you expecting me to manifest here? I'm not exactly sure I have an aspect centered around mucus."

Pardon the ramble. I can't brain today - I have the dumb.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:03 pm
Elfin Brill
BlueRoseTorn

Kinda nice how in my neck of the woods, there's a high enough Spanish-speaking population that you can get away with saying "Salud!" without weird looks.

Edit: *giggle* An aspect centered around mucus. Talk about specialization.  

TatteredAngel

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:01 pm
When I was in France as a kid, I picked up the French varient of the sneeze custom, a tes souhaits, which roughly means "make a wish." Now I always use it. I love the idea of wishing upon a sneeze!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff