Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Thoughts about Jeebus. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:46 pm
Foetus In Fetu
White horse + pink dye + horn + superglue = ?

It's just not the same.

Foetus In Fetu
I'm still wondering whether something can be both invisible and pink at the same time.

"We can see that the unicorn is invisible, but we have faith that they are pink."

I take it back, I do love dragons; but that's got nothing to do with anything. <_<  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:11 am
Erix Griffon
teh plum
Actually, he was seen by around 500 people, just not all eye-witness accounts are includded in the Bible. x3

Didn't know that, but it doesn't persuade me any more. Why weren't the accounts included in the bible? Given that they happened 2000 years ago, and weren't recorded, how do you know that?

Funnily enough, a lot of people say that sort of thing, but then go on to dismiss the Bible as a load of old bunk anyway. The 500 seeing him all at one time is found in contemporary Roman records, although for the life of me, I can't recall which ones. I shall do some digging and try to locate them for you smile

I find it amusing how the Bible is often portrayed as being completely inaccurate and totally unreliable as a historical document - but this is simply not the case. After all, the Bible mentioned three extra pharaohs which were not known to us in recent times. It was used as an example of the Bible's inaccuracy...right up until the point those three missing pharaohs were located, the most famous being Tutankhamun.

Just a small point I thought I would make, despite being mildly off topic. Some things never change. wink  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:43 pm
Smenkhkare (maybe Nefertiti ruling herself), Tutankhamen, and Ay? The pharoahs erased out of history by Horemheb? (Ahkenhaten was also erased; he started the whole monotheism project which Horemheb was covering up, surely that should be four)

They were mentioned by name in the bible? I don't buy it; the time period linking the Bible to history would Exodus and the 18th Dynasty. Exodus only refers to an abstract "pharoah" character, if I remember correctly.

The is a decent hypothesis (drawn up by a pair of French Torah scholars and a decent smattering of Egyptology) linking several important biblical figures to Egyptian figures: Abraham is Akhenaten (heretical pharoah; started the worship of one god, Aten, above all others), Moses is Ramesses (general, later a pharoah), Aaron is Horemheb (again. a general, later a pharoah; Ramesses and Horemheb led the exile of the monotheist priest caste out of Egypt under Ay's instruction), Ay is Joshua (and Adon-ay ["Lord" Ay]). When Akhenaten died, Ay (as the chief vizer to the following pharoahs) decided to change Egypt back to polytheism, and wanted the monotheists to leave the country. He had them exiled, and can be regarded as both the pharoah who kicked them out, and one of the people who saved them (he was once a monotheist, but reverted back to the old ways after suffering personal tragegies which for which he blamed Aten).

There are references to real history in the Bible, but you are taking the piss if you are serious in regarding it as a proper historical document with regard to Exodus.  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:45 pm
illyrianth
Erix Griffon
teh plum
Actually, he was seen by around 500 people, just not all eye-witness accounts are includded in the Bible. x3

Didn't know that, but it doesn't persuade me any more. Why weren't the accounts included in the bible? Given that they happened 2000 years ago, and weren't recorded, how do you know that?

Just a small point I thought I would make, despite being mildly off topic. wink

My dear, I would have thought that you, a founder of this guild realise that this is now practically a necessity in any post.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Zoutout

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:17 pm
Historical document?
Well, maybe under certain interpretations.

There are always programmes on about the validity of the Bible, and they point out intresting things. For example, in Exodus, the word they used for "thousand" also means "family unit"
Were there as many "thousands" as the Bible said there was, they could have just walked out whenever they wanted, because they had about 20 times as many people as Egypt's army.  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:12 am
Doesn't mention them by name, no...But there were three extra numerically in the Bible itself. Mind you, might have been handy if they COULD have just said their names and where they were buried - would have been a lot less work for Carter and his team. wink Then again, if the Bible is the Word of God, least he could do would have been to let us know the results of last week's Lottery too, huh?

And no. I wasn't "taking the piss" at all. I find the accuracies throughout the Bible to be far more interesting than the inaccuracies - and I am not even Christian! ~lol~ Have to say, I am not entirely why some people feel the need to be quite so vehemently opposed to believing anything contained within religious texts. You would think of all people, a very definite non-Christian/Muslim/Jew like myself would be the most vocal in shouting down the writings or the Torah, Qu'ran or Bible. There is a grain of truth in a lot of things. "The trick is to understand this, accept and look for it.", as I was instructed by one of my lecturers...heheh...Funny how some sentences just stick with you.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:13 am
whapcapn
illyrianth
Erix Griffon
teh plum

My dear, I would have thought that you, a founder of this guild realise that this is now practically a necessity in any post.

A founder? Nah, wasn't me guv. It was all Invi's fault. Ahhhh, and here's my invisible pink unicorn taxi now.... blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:59 am
Intresting thought I had while doing my Kierkegaard essay (people should be able to shoot this down - I know I can, but let's have fun with it)

If the Bible is the word of God, and God is omniscient etc, why did he not know of Abraham's other son that is mentioned in the Bible?  

Zoutout

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:59 am
illyrianth
whapcapn
illyrianth
Erix Griffon
teh plum

A founder? Nah, wasn't me guv. It was all Invi's fault. Ahhhh, and here's my invisible pink unicorn taxi now.... blaugh

A lot of things tend to be Invi's fault, don't they?  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:01 am
Even yoghurt, which was so not my idea!  

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:29 am
Invictus_88

*coughs* You DO, however, happen to be the one with the yoghurt fetish.
How lucky you are Switchblade no Demi never seems to be on any more. I think you scared her off...  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:33 am
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

How lucky you are Switchblade no Demi never seems to be on any more. I think you scared her off...

Hey, I'm not the only one!
Changed username, I think.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:37 am
Invictus_88
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

Hey, I'm not the only one!
Changed username, I think.

Well, could I tempt you with a foole?
rolleyes Oh really? What to? *Time for a little PM-stalking...*  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:15 pm
Invictus_88

Er...but it was because of a comment YOU made which made me reply mentioning yoghurt and so...er...actually.

I think I'll stop digging myself into a hole right about now.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Cleocatra

IRL Trash

34,625 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:03 pm
illyrianth
Invictus_88

Er...but it was because of a comment YOU made which made me reply mentioning yoghurt and so...er...actually.

I think I'll stop digging myself into a hole right about now.

"Dig upwards"  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces