Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
World Myths, Greek and Otherwise Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What the heck are the Orphic Mysteries?
  Sounds you make that no one can identify. Like urhukk-uk.
  Did they involve a singing head? Please say they didn't!
  Pythagoras will hear of this!
  I'm still sworn to secrecy on that topic.
  Burn, witch, burn!
  What does this have to do with ANYTHING? Give me some gold!
  Euridyce proposition at this point. Ha!
View Results

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:19 pm
Well, tricksters can change shape, and I think some change their gender. So maybe this one did that, and that's why it's somewhat ambiguous, yet you still get references to Yogarindra being a woman. Or something like that. I don't know much about tricksters.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:42 pm
Oh dang! You're right, Yogarindra is referred to as a she a couple of times!

D'oh! Well, I'm ot sure what Rindra means in sanskrit, but Yoga means like binding... and yoga. I'll be at the library tomorrow and have a bit more time.  

Harbone

Meithanos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:24 pm
Harbone
Oh dang! You're right, Yogarindra is referred to as a she a couple of times!

D'oh! Well, I'm ot sure what Rindra means in sanskrit, but Yoga means like binding... and yoga. I'll be at the library tomorrow and have a bit more time.

I think I figured it out...
He/she is a mixing of SEVERAL different mythological gods and goddesses of illusion, and the name is from a MALE name of "Yudhisthira" (who is actually a very Pious character, not tricky or illusionist at all) but all other aspects are of Maya and Krishna as well as other refrences from Incan mythology and so on that are and were lesser known at the time.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:23 pm
That may be the case. The only thing I've been able to dredge up is "Yogini" a female hindu demon, attendant on Durgha, who could be one of a million aspects of the godling. As such, the female elements and mirror elements kinda matched. But it's poetry - you take what you can get.  

Harbone

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:38 pm
You know, it'd funny; now that I actually know Greek myths, I realize that there are a lot of references to them in a bunch of the books I read. For example, there's a reference to Penelope in Goose Chase, which I never expected in the least.

<.< Yes, this post is somewhat pointless, but it's interesting to note.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:16 pm
I love learning about myths and folk tales. My favorite Greek myth is the tale of Eros and Psyche. It make a good story to tell kids when I baby sit. I have found that if I tell stories and folk tales to kids than I am spared of playing Babie tea party. Greek myths seem to make the best stories for some reason.  

Shakespeares Girl

murphyad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:53 am
I was wondering if yu hae read any of the Percy Jackson books its like an updated mythology greek, they are for 6-10 grades but they are a fun read  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:09 pm
There is a great book out there called the Lightning Thief and PARTS II and III  

Avi_Veneficus

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:02 am
K.A. Applegate actually wrote an entire series dealing with mythology. It's called Everworld. It's interesting, and also where I got a rudimentary knowledge about World mythology.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:08 am
I love Myths espicially Greek and English myths. Right now I'm reading a Book Called Avalon High by Meg cabot and the myths of Avalon are intwined in it. Also I just got done reading a book called Tattoo in which The myth of the fates appeared more than once.  

Zenjin101

Wissakins

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:28 pm
When I took Mythology in college, I was fascinated by Orpheus and Eurydice. I suppose its the romantic in me.

But if I choose to read myths on my own, I turn towards Egypt and the Mayans & Incas. They have some of the most interesting tales.  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:05 am
Shakespeares Girl
I love learning about myths and folk tales. My favorite Greek myth is the tale of Eros and Psyche. It make a good story to tell kids when I baby sit. I have found that if I tell stories and folk tales to kids than I am spared of playing Babie tea party. Greek myths seem to make the best stories for some reason.

'Til We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis is based on the legend of Psyche.

it is marvelous! very adult level, thematically, psychologically, and as literature; in my opinion it is a masterpiece, a timeless classic.  

chessiejo

Booklover777

4,000 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:15 am
I've read a few books with Greek/Roman myths in 'em. my favorites are The Sight and Fell By: David Clement-Davies. These involve a few well-known topics like Dracula(in an out-of-the-way not important kinda way) and a few cults and whatnot. It also mentions(Fell, that is) an old witch-woman well known by the commoners in the book. My favorite myths that appear are usually about shapeshifters, and one book that I've read had an odd way of looking at an Arthurian fantasy involving many animal-related, cult-type shapeshifters, Arthur being of the Bear society, and a few demi-gods and time-warps. I know this kinda gets off the point, but my MAIN favorite Greek /Roman myth from a book is a saxon's story of a supernatural tree, the tree of life, or 'the tree of beginning', and how the Roman army destroyed it in their unique, barbaric way.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:45 am
heart its all good i enjoy any type of myth they generally have a reality base coming from some where heart :  

felicity_mills

IncompleteConspiracy

Shameless Witch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:10 am
My favorite stories are always the obscure ones that no one seems to have heard about. Like, has anyone heard the Greek story about two guys going down to the underworld to kidnap Persephone from Hades? But then they sit down to a feast and snakes wrap around their ankles! whee I love it!  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff