and come from sorrow
rather than the doer's hand.

As murder uncondoned
for the valued it might have taken,
So is suicide a crime
for the grief that it has left.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:54 pm
SarahArden
Technically, you are taking a life but it is your own. You are doing it with your own consent and of your free will. If a person is stopped from killing themself, should they be charged with murder?

For a while in England, if one attempted suicide but was unsuccessful and was also caught, they would be put to death. I lovethe taste of irony at 3 in the morning.

Quote:
one who kills him self because they cant take life are weak those who die for a cause are strong.

What does that make suicide bombers?

6shattered6chandelier6

Slayer Igraine

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:33 pm
Icy-Determination_020
ArynChris
xAsh-chanx
"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice; . . . that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person. "
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Aye.

What is the crime of murder
but the selfsame crime as theft?
What is the crime of suicide
but one's final act of choice?
Society punishes
the independent spirit.

Stupid is still Stupid
If I wherent sleepy I would type up an argument that would make this more practical since most poeple are only looking at it from one angle... and a note my dear society in general does not punish the independent spirit society simply tries to keep it from flying to close to the sun.
Its only the loud mouths with power who might punish an independent spirit... than agian this also goes on what you see as an independent spirit.

You see it as stupid because you are a rational person in full possession of your faculty of reasoning. Suicidal people are very often, (admittedly not always) mentally ill - this means that they are *not* in full possession of their faculty of reasoning, and thus cannot be held to the standards of a person who was.

You wouldn't expect a person with two broken legs to walk; expecting a person with a mental disorder to be able of perfect reasoning is also irrational.

They're not stupid, they're ill. Big difference.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:38 pm
Look, all I'm ganna say is my Grandfather killed himself. and I believe that if you kill yourself you go to hell, no matter. I've come to accept that to a point but, if he wouldn't have killed himself and was charged with attempted murder of one's self, he would still be gone, in prison somewhere. and that would probably be worse to the family he left behind to begin with......  

Kinky Taco

Asher_Scree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:55 am
Well, it would make it pretty and easy for the person attempting suicide. He tries to kill himself, he fails, and he dies anyway at the hands of the goverment.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm
I think to arrest someone for trying to kill themselves is ridiculous. Murder, to me, is when you kill someone who has no wish to die, and/or to die by your hands. Killing yourself is a choice you have the right to make, just like anything else. Who is the government to tell you whether or not you must live? I have a philosophy fairly close to Jack Kevorkian's. (I know, I'm totally going to get yelled at for this.) I don't think you should be arrested for helping to kill someone who wants to die but is unable to do it themselves. So that I don't get any really stupid replies--Obviously, if this were to become legal, there would need to be some sort of documentation and witnesses to prove that you didn't kill the person against their will. There would need to be something prohibiting people with mental disorders from going through with suicide. There ought to be a certain amount of time you need to wait before doing it or maybe you'd have to have substantial counseling, etc. , or have a terminal illness or only a certain amount of time to live or something. meh. Not that this is likely to become a reality any time soon.

perrenthezombie

Raveney

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:12 am
murder a person that tried to commmitte suicide is just not logical, you don't let the person kill himself for protect his own life (or at least i hope is for that). I'm personally disagree with the idea of suicide that sound kind of pychotic to me  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:39 am
no they shouldnt do that. if you really want to die and now people are punishing you for it its just another reason too. and i agree with Krypta9 why should the government tell you if you should live or not? and why do they think that punishing them would help at all? its obvious that they need help or something. by telling them its wrong its just going to make it worse >.<

6shattered6chandelier6
England, if one attempted suicide but was unsuccessful and was also caught, they would be put to death. I lovethe taste of irony at 3 in the morning.

Thats odd. Well at least the person would have the comfert of if they failed the government would do it for them >.<  

haine13

Moonwynne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:23 pm
Personally, I've always been very anti-suicide. It is the most selfish act one could commit. No matter what your state of mind is at the time, to leave behind the people who cared and loved for you in such a horrific way is just cruel. There are always other options, always.

As far as this topic is concerned, it really isn't murder, but close enough. And I'll agree with what a lot of you said, people who attempt it and don't succede, should not be punished for their crime, they should be given help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:47 pm
Kaitiaki
Personally, I've always been very anti-suicide. It is the most selfish act one could commit. No matter what your state of mind is at the time, to leave behind the people who cared and loved for you in such a horrific way is just cruel. There are always other options, always.

What about euthanasia?... isn't it more selfish to allow someone to suffer in great physical pain, rather then let them, end their life peacefully and with as little pain as possible? To no longer be a burden on those you love and too be able to die how you want as a consenting adult rather then waste away in constant agony for the rest of your life.  

Rellik San
Crew

Moonwynne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:15 am
Rellik San
Kaitiaki

What about euthanasia?... isn't it more selfish to allow someone to suffer in great physical pain, rather then let them, end their life peacefully and with as little pain as possible? To no longer be a burden on those you love and too be able to die how you want as a consenting adult rather then waste away in constant agony for the rest of your life.

I'm not really referring to those who are on the brink of death because of a terminal illness.

That is directed mostly towards people who are meerly depressed, or in some other similar mindset. To kill yourself over, say, a divorce, or because you're so miserably sad you think the world would be better without you, isn't a good enough reason. Could you imagine if your child was the one to find your body? Or a spouse? Sybling or other family member? The pain it would cause...

It's different if you are physically suffering due to an illness that is going to kill you and there is no cure of. In those cases, no, it's not selfish, but like I just said, that's not what I was really referring to anyways. Dying peacfully is something I think most people want in the end, and if I were ever dying from cancer or something else that caused me to be in excrutiating amounts of physical pain at all times, I would want to be put out of my misery as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:10 pm
zz1000zz
Raethyn Sarachael
I wish they *could* be charged with stupidity. I agree with Nyed.

So suicide is stupid? What about martyrdom? Was the Christian Jesus stupid?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Yes.

However, while I see suicide as a stupid decision, ultimately, it is up to the individual to be as stupid as he, she, or ze chooses to be.

Simim

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

AdrianaKitten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:58 am
When a warrior or soldier goes into something to save someone else and dies from and enemy's bullet that is an honorable suicide.
If someone were to set themselves on fire in public and claim it's for a cause it's crap.
As far as government killings or euthanasia goes it should only be done by someone who you care about. I would feel hurt if some professional "mercy killer" were to pull my plug.
It's a natural instinct in humans to live. If someone really wants to kill themselves I'd say think it over.
2nd Note: Suicide is an act that one commits to themselves. Not to their mom, their lover, or anyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:25 am
AdrianaKitten

As far as government killings or euthanasia goes it should only be done by someone who you care about. I would feel hurt if some professional "mercy killer" were to pull my plug.
I disagree, I wouldn't want to put someone I care about through the pain of having to end my only life line to this world.  

Rellik San
Crew

AdrianaKitten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:21 pm
Rellik San
AdrianaKitten

I disagree, I wouldn't want to put someone I care about through the pain of having to end my only life line to this world.

Depending on the case, if they love you they won't let you suffer. It would seem a bit odd to want someone you don't even know to pull the last trace of life out of you.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff