2%  [ 2 ]
other
22%
 22%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 83

IchigoKawaii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:28 pm
lyoko_slayer
this just goes to show you that alot people have no brain and cant listen a single word
whenever people hear the word "asia" they automatically think chinese, japanese, and korean. Not all other aisan countries. Dx  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:38 pm
I guess I'm half the typical "what comes to mind with the word Asian" Asian and half Pacific Islander. I'm Malaysian, but I'm also quarter Chinese and quarter Mongolian and so my features are a mixture of Pacific Islanders and the Orients.

But I think there's an increase acknowledgement about Pacific Islanders with the word Asians and it's better than those living/from Central Asia. I don't think when people hear the word Asian, they will never think of Pakistanians.  

Windee

Lil_CloudAngel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:44 pm
I think that most people automatically associate the word "asian" with chinese, korean, japanese is maybe because the area where they live around has many of that nationality. In my school there are heaps of koreans so when you mention that your asian they're like "Oh are you korean?" that's my opinion.. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:13 am
im filipino but wana be korean xd  

azn_boy20

X Ray X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:01 pm
that would get pretty annoying if someone did that  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:07 pm
Philippines a country in Asia but the people are pacific islander. The spanish were there for 300 years so thats why most Filipinos have spanish last names and could pass for someone who is mexican or something. SOME filipinos do look Chinese though and they are usually the popular kids at Filipino schools.  

kawaiisluv

Jelai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:55 pm
I'm Filipino too, but we're more considered to be Southeast Asians than Pacific Islanders. Pacific Islanders are more of the people living in Oceana and Australia, such as Melanesians, Micronesians, Polynesians, etc.

I've once considered myself a Pacific Islander because the Philippines is a group of 7,000 islands, right? But we're more actually Southeast Asians. You can consider yourself a Pacific Islander if you want, even though we don't really belong in the Oceana/Australia group.

I think the reason why people automatically think of "Asian" as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. is because a lot of Asian restaurants, etc. here in America seem to be mostly of East Asian stuff. :/ And a lot of East Asians seem to star in a lot of martial arts movies than other Asian groups, I guess. And then there's the pop culture thing.

Hmm...why DO people automatically think of Asian as Chinese/Korean/Japanese etc.?? I'd like to find that out too! >>;; >.<

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:05 am
Filipina.~  

[ iNY0UNG ]

Lay-San

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:27 pm
well...sum filipino want to be known as filipino, so they call themselves "pacific islander..cuz their azn background country is in the pacific and is an island...but ppl think azns r chinese, jap, or korean cuz i guess that's where most azn history comes to play in america...like WWII w/jap, chinese immigrants workin on railroads, and korea's dictator[which i don't kno how to spell it...],etc...but don't let it get to u that much....there's a-holes out there and u can't do much to avoid them...believe me..  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:12 am
And I'm just an american...who is automaticly known as lazy,Stupid, and loud. Sometimes you need to just nod your head to people and let them beleave what they want.  

Kamisharu Hashigawa

.[~Cotten Candy~].

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:21 am
I don't tell to many people what race i am... i just nod my head and go uh huh... and then walk away. Just so they go away it works most time xD.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:25 am
i'm vietnamese, but people always think i'm chinese...it's annoying stare  

Flo-lapin

550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

pupsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:01 am
that really ticks me off, when peole say that im not asain and INSIST (sp??) that im pacific islander.
cant we be both? i mean we are...technically

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:12 pm
Azul Acier Moon
Ando_Yui
People probably don't think Filippino people as "Asian" because the Philippines aren't exactly near the main continent. ...or something like that. I don't know. People are stupid. There are people that I meet that don't believe me when I say I'm half Asian, let alone my being Filippino, too.

btw, Filippinos are taking over Dunkin Donuts. ^^ ...at least, they are in New Jersey. biggrin

And don't worry about the difference between Pacific Islander and Asian. Both are pretty much the same thing, if you really contemplate on it. Besides, that girl you talked to was probably an air-head, so you don't need to get worked up over it. If she insulted you, then you, by all means, have the right to be upset.

*dances for the heck of it*

yay!! dunkin donuts DOMiNATiON!! haha...actually, this air head did insult me, in a derrogatory form of way which happened after the conversation, but was still about my "race"

heyy!!! yeah..totally, we filipinos are awesome at dominating!! yeaha!
I'm filipino, and some people recognize me as chinese. i really have squinty eyes and light skin. It's funny. They call me ChingChongChicken.
umm. i felt vewwy saddd....sniff sniff.
but yeahh.....  

SWT-PIA

LadySop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:24 pm
I wish for world peace. heart  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers