Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Non-eclectic ceremonialism? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oniko-inuki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:34 pm
missmagpie
Oniko-inuki
Forgive me, but I fail to see the difference. Could you explain what you mean?
Not to put words in reagun's mouth or anything, but a teacher will often tell you what to do and how to do it. A mentor just points you in the right direction and helps out if you're really stuck.
Okay, I see what you mean. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:51 pm
Oniko-inuki
reagun ban
TeaDidikai
I get a little edgy around people who claim to be teachers without first giving a lot of thought to what a Teacher is, and the weight that the position holds.

I've had students, but I've never been a Teacher, just a guide/mentor.
Forgive me, but I fail to see the difference. Could you explain what you mean?

What maggie said and "cleaning up after their messes when they're not big enough or bold enough to do it themselves"  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:14 pm
Just a quick querey...
Have you tried asking the local Rabbi?
Most of the Rabbi whom I have spoken with were more than happy to share information with me. Just make sure not to bother them in the middle of attending to their community. wink

As far as pure Christian and Muslim mysticism... that can be harder to find. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:02 pm
It would depend on the kind of Rabbi she approches as well.

Also note that not all Rabbi are Kabalists. While I have personally yet to meet one who didn't have at least a familiarity with the material, due to the intense study, a lot of the Orthodox Rabbi I know do not spend time on it, serving as a Rabbi in other terms.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:45 pm
True, but it is a start, and they may know someone whom she could speak to about such matters...
Also... Kabalah isn't the only Judaic mysticism. ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:45 pm
Fiddlers Green
True, but it is a start, and they may know someone whom she could speak to about such matters...
Also... Kabalah isn't the only Judaic mysticism. ninja
But is is the primary realm of Ceremonial Mysticism.

The only other "mysticism" I am familiar with is the "Jewish Folk Magic" end of things.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:31 pm
TeaDidikai

The only other "mysticism" I am familiar with is the "Jewish Folk Magic" end of things.

I suppose it depends how broadly you define Kabalah...
However, my Domini made a point to keep at least Mastery of the Name seperate from Kabalah, as it is likened unto our own techniques. Whereas most Kabalah is more spiritual in nature (both it's uses and the source of it's power).  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:36 pm
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

However, my Domini made a point to keep at least Mastery of the Name seperate from Kabalah, as it is likened unto our own techniques. Whereas most Kabalah is more spiritual in nature (both it's uses and the source of it's power).
But even the Mastery of the Name would be found as a pragmatic application of say- the ideas and concepts from applying the SY, yes?  

TeaDidikai

Aesi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:45 pm
Fiddlers Green
Just a quick querey...
Have you tried asking the local Rabbi?

I've tried speaking to a Rabbi through Beit Hillel, Utah's branch of an organization for university students. The group is mixed. Reform, Recon, Chasad, and Orthodox Jews participate. But the students I've spoken with know very little about Qabalah and have been uncertain about inviting me to speak with their Rabbi/Rebbe. The one I have met wouldn't refer me to someone who could or would let me learn from them.

I can't blame them. Here's this uneducated, townie goy asking them how she can find out more about their organization.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:00 pm
TeaDidikai
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

But even the Mastery of the Name would be found as a pragmatic application of say- the ideas and concepts from applying the SY, yes?

Mastery of the Name? I hadn't heard of this before. Would this refer to the Name of God, with its mathematical and ritual... (hmm, at a loss for words here, appropriately) I'll say "towers", implying something building to the divine consciousness.  

Aesi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:34 pm
I can't say what Fiddler is speaking of, but I was addressing the applications of the decent of Ain into Kether to Malkuth as it relates to the Tetragammaton.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:08 pm
Bingo. That's what I intended to ask. But words easily escape my goldfish-tank of a brain. And I'm quite sure I couldn't have put them together so efficiently had I remembered them.  

Aesi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:24 am
Aesi
Bingo. That's what I intended to ask. But words easily escape my goldfish-tank of a brain. And I'm quite sure I couldn't have put them together so efficiently had I remembered them.
You and Fiddler have the same brain?! No wonder those goldfish have so many problems!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 pm
Pfft, I'll bet his goldfish aren't half as sickly as mine.  

Aesi

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:14 am
No, mine are quite robust...
They are just narcoleptic and absent-minded. wink

As far as Mastery of the Name...
What little first-hand I have been able to gleen is that it is an extrapolation of the Idea that Shem said Let there be light and the actual word light which was spoken holds the creative spark, the impetous behind the weaving of existance from the darkness before (this relies on something of a cold dark matter theorey of proto-creation, in that altho nothing existed before creation... the disparate parts to make creation from were sorta there... kinda... it's very complicated, and I only understand a tiny glimmer of it...).
Basically, by speaking the words the Shem spoke to name things and bring them into existance, the act of creating can be reproduced on a much smaller scale.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff