Reply Fantasy Books Guild
His dark materials Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Merlinssister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:17 am
The romance was good because it didn't matter that they were young, it was a first love thing. The romance isn't my favourite bit of the book but I definitely don't hate it as much as some people here seem to. I love travelling, any questioning of religion and parallel universes in books so HDM ticks all the boxes for me. The writing is also brilliant and not as patronising as some books written for the same age group.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:58 pm
...........well i just liked it and then later on found out i could be considered intelligent for reading them sweatdrop  

laaalalalalalalalalas

x.Marsh[mel]low.x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 am
Edward_Dawson
Mel_Darkflame
was historically correct

what do you mean by that?

Like.. with the vehicles and modes of transportation mentioned, plus the building types. That sort of thing. To add to the realism.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:54 pm
They are very inventive books. I accidentally read the Subtle Knife first, and recently got all three of them as a set as a Christmas present. I really like the Subtle Knife, but I would have to say that the Amber Spyglass is my favourite. I love how there are daemons that change shape until a certain age, and the concept of Dust is so wonderfully imaginative that I was hooked.  

SexyDeity

babalonsatene

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:07 am
Yeah, I read them all and I thought they rocked!!! domokun dramallama  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:32 pm
I enjoyed reading them, and for my birthday, my cousin got me all three books (like she gave me the first three in Symphony of Ages, and she's the only reason I was able to read them). They were good, and I loved the daemons.

I heard they are making it into a movie, and that Nicole Kidman is going to play the mother.

If it's true, I think it might be worth seeing. (Not saying I won't see it)

Werewolf Garnet

Darth_Magus1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:26 pm
I have all 3 as well as "Lyra's Oxford" and am waiting for whenever Pullman will finish "The Book of Dust". I just wish Lyra and Will could meet again later in their 20's. Also looking forward to the movie, hope they'll go on to make all 3.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:51 pm
i love the series!!! i can't wait til the movie comes out! woot!!  

soupyeh

The Vorpal Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:54 am
If they come out with all three movies, I'll be so happy. (if the movies are good of course)

I absolutely loved these books. To death. I cried in the end, a little, and that's a lot for me.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:25 am
I've only read the first one but I adored it! I'm soooooooooooo excited 4 the movie!  

astrum202

Mara Jade Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:41 pm
I absolutely LOVED this trilogy, and I read it ages ago, when I was just going into high school, or maybe it was even earlier than that. Being a Christian, I was slightly maddened by the way religion was represented, but I realize it IS just a fantasy. And really, they are an amazing set of books. I can't wait until the movie comes out! I'm sure it'll be well done, since New Line Cinema is doing it, right?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:09 am
Yeah, I think it's them doing the movie.

I actually liked the entire concept. I'm vaugely a christian too, just I don't have much faith.  

The Vorpal Tom

astrum202

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:46 pm
yes newline cinema is doing it. if you go to thegoldencompassmovie.com they have a thing where you can make your own daemon.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:23 am
I liked the series as a whole, but I felt the end was kind of a let down. I like how most of the Amber Spyglass was spent following a totally different storyline. Lyra's incessant "You are bad, I will kill you/Uh oh, it's bad, run away" mentality kind of got annoying after the second book.  

Lord Melvin

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:19 am
I love these books!

I read them when I was a kid, when they were recommended to me by a teacher who thought I wasn't being 'challenged enough', and I've never been so glas that I took a teacher's advice!

I love the parallel unvierse idea, something that often seems tacky but Pullman pulls off (pardon the pun) perfectly.
-Wow, there's some impressive illiteration for you!-
Anyway, I also love the whole thing of daemons being able to change form during childhood, but once you mature, your daemon settles into its shape, which reflects perfectly the way people change so much as children.

I do have a couple of problems however: Lyra is WAY too young. No way has a person fully matured at 12! I think anywhere from 14-18 would ahve been perfect, the former age suggesting great emotional maturity.
Also, by the time I read the last book, Lyra had really begun to grate on me.

I really do need to read these again...

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces