Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Ravenwolf. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:12 am
Just out of cureosity......Has anyone that says silver is bad to read, ever read past "To Ride a Silver Broom Stick?" That one and "Teen Witch" do suck but her later ones give some good stuff. Your just have to read past her "fluffyness."  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:33 pm
Neko_Bast
Just out of cureosity......Has anyone that says silver is bad to read, ever read past "To Ride a Silver Broom Stick?" That one and "Teen Witch" do suck but her later ones give some good stuff. Your just have to read past her "fluffyness."
I have.

And no. She doesn't get better.

In fact- (and I am being slightly over critical, but not by much) I don't think it is an unfair assertion to suggest that the major difference between her main books (To ____________ A _______________ _________________) is found in the color of the covers.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:51 pm
I made the mistake of buying A Witch's Notebook and Solitary Witch before realizing what a crock of s**t she is.

Though I will admit, as a quick reference to things for a basic run-down of information, it could be useful, but only if you take everything with a pound of salt or six and ignore all the Wicca bits. Some of the spells are decent too, in my opinion, as long as you remove her "shortcuts," and replace them with the original process, (I don't like shortcuts to circle casting. Somehow, it seems like the circle wouldn't be as... cohesive? strong? as it would be under normal circumstances.) and remove references to Wicca and Wiccan gods and replace them with the appropriate spirits and deities. I don't think it's appropriate for me to call to a Wiccan deity when, as someone who hasn't been initiated, I don't know anything about them beyond epithets. Since most of it is her personal brand of witchcraft, I think it'd be alright to edit them to include gods I am familiar with.

But I am a novice at it all, so I avoid workings like that until I can become more familiar with the gods and my purpose, and become more familiar with witchcraft itself before jumping into something that might kick my a** later.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:02 am
I went on a book buying binge recently....

(Well lets be honest i'm usually buying books anyway...)

I bought "Teen Witch" for the same Reason i bought a few of Ann Coulters books.

Just to see what people are complaining about 1st hand. Also whack people over the head with who take it seriously.

I found $ilverravenwolf to be extremely patronizing.

The whole "Teen Speak" thing. Because teenagers need things intentionally and knowingly dumbed down for their benifit?

Also how much of the book was "spells"? Some of them are just down right funny.

Neko Blast
Your just have to read past her "fluffyness."

It ends?!?!?  

quantum_leaper

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:53 am
quantum_leaper

Neko Blast
Your just have to read past her "fluffyness."

It ends?!?!?
That is the debate before the thread. I am inclined to say "No, it doesn't."  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:52 pm
quantum_leaper

I hope that reason is "to start a BBQ fire"...I dispise Ann Coulter. scream

Neko_Bast

Honestly, I thought Silver Broomstick was the only one of hers that wasn't complete and total grabage; by the second and third books, she was just repeating what she had already said. The only difference was a couple of spell, organization, and her personal anecdotes from things that have happened in her life.

As I've said before, I think SRW has her place. Einstein said, and I'm paraphrasing do to the inabbility to find the exact quote at the moment "Everyone should always serve to provide an example; of what to avoid if one can't be of the other sort"

SRW is ignorent, fluffy to the extreme, and a bigot. She is a prime example of what not to be, and reading her work only reminds you how not to be that. wink

TeaDidikai
I have.

In fact- (and I am being slightly over critical, but not by much) I don't think it is an unfair assertion to suggest that the major difference between her main books (To ____________ A _______________ _________________) is found in the color of the covers.
:

The sad fact? I am having a hard time refuting that opinion, and I have come to the conclusion that you're actually completely on poin, it's not overly critcal at all  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:33 pm
Kuroiban
quantum_leaper

*snip*

TeaDidikai
I have.

:

The sad fact? I am having a hard time refuting that opinion, and I have come to the conclusion that you're actually completely on poin, it's not overly critcal at all

Am I the only one who noticed that "To Start a BBQ Fire" fits the "To (blank) A (blank) (blank)" formula for an SRW title?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:37 pm
Henry Dorsett Case

Am I the only one who noticed that "To Start a BBQ Fire" fits the "To (blank) A (blank) (blank)" formula for an SRW title?

razz Agreed. And she probably would publish an entire book on how to perform a simple and sacred barbecue (why, you can even have the food blessed by the guardians of the watchtowers, folks!).  

Aesi

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:33 pm
Henry Dorsett Case

eek

BWHAHAHAHAHA!

Complietely accidnetal I swear...though this DOES give us new uses for RSW's work! A "Create you own SRW book title game!"

Use one of the following!

To ____________ a ___________ ____________
(Verb) (Adjective) (Noun)

OR

__________________________________: _________________ in
(Name of type of mythological creature) (Nouns)

Are the two best templates...the second one being based on her "book" on Angels.

To remember how the title of the angel book went, I had to quickly check her web site and look for it...oh dear gods...I didn't want to see what I saw...

crying I THOUGHT YOU WERE KIDDING ABOUT ICOVENS! crying  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:47 pm
Ugh, good heavens... She's got "premium content" there.

-gives Kuroiban a plush dog to hold for comfort-

Scary place, but entertaining.  

Aesi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:25 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
Kuroiban
quantum_leaper

*snip*

TeaDidikai
I have.

:

No- which is the point. That is about as meaningful as her books are.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:08 am
Neko_Bast

Well, I'm not a SRW basher, but the only book of hers I have read is 'To Ride a Silver Broomstick.' Given her target audience, it's a decently written work, though parts of it (like most 101 books) are a bit superficial for my tastes. I tend to see some of the historical inaccuraces as part of the developing mythology if the religion that make interesting stories, though to those unfamiliar with the true history, such innacuracies can be dangerous. Perhaps I trust others to discerning as I am? If you are, there's nothing terribly wrong with her works (of the one I've read anyway). I can't speak of whether or not her later books are any better, though I've had it in mind to read them at some point at Borders or Barnes and Noble.  

Starlock

Hypomanic Poet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:39 pm
Silver RavenWolf= Paperweight. Or a doorstop. (or whatever those things you put in front of a door to stop it from closing is called)

'Nuff said.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:44 pm
Aesi
Ugh, good heavens... She's got "premium content" there.

-gives Kuroiban a plush dog to hold for comfort-

Scary place, but entertaining.

I found nothing amusing there...

Merely pain and anguish...

-hugs stuff dog and cries- crying  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

TeaDidikai