Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brother's Grimm
  are fairy tales like no other
  have a digestion problem >_<
  Here, have a cookie!
  I don't want your cookie. I want a bedtime story.
View Results

arugala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:09 pm
I've really only heard of one Brother's Grimm fairy tale: Cinderella. It's basically the same, only instead of the prine knowing the shoe was too small for the stepsisters because their feet didn't fit, the stepsister cut off her toes and put on a sock. The blood coming out gave away her secret. Though Brother's Grimm give a spine-chillingly gothic twist to fairy tales (which I can't help but say are are a refreshing break from Disney's happy-go-lucky tales of happily ever after), I prefer less gruesome twists. For example: Ella (not Ella Enchanted). Ella was more like teh medival ages and it could've really happened. The "magical gown" was her mother's wedding dress, the "magical slippers" were glass slippers blown by the cocky glassblower in her town and the carriage was really the result of a kind carriage driver driving her a few feet to the palace after she'd walked the whole way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:31 am
I've got a big book of Grimm fairy tales beside my bed; I usually read one or two stories before I go to sleep at night. Some of them are pretty morbid, though, but I like them anyway. It's interesting to know all the stories and be able to catch the references to the more obscure ones made by the media, you know?  

MyLadyMandy

CastleAlyts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:49 am
The Grimm stories were always interesting to read, though they are a bit morbid they are useful in teaching the lovely little morals that people tend to like. As for why the stories are morbid is because "once upon a time" people told these stories to each other. and like horror movies fascinate people now, morbid tales fascinated people then. throughout the ages we have liked to glimpse the dark so that we may know the light.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:11 am
KYA! I love the Brother's Grimm! heart heart I got a collection of all their stories. I haven't read all of them yet, but the ones I have read are good, but morbid. xp  

chibinecochan_13

chessiejo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:12 pm
Anderson's are always sad.

Perrault's are coy and aristocratic which irks me.

but Grimm in the original (which is where the iron shoes are!) is powerful, mythic, it speaks to the soul at a subterranean level.

read Bruno Bettelheim's The Uses of Enchantment.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:23 am
I love them! To me they were the starters of my imagination 3nodding
The movie that was made about them was very good too =]  

Exo-Polition

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:24 am
I love the Brother's Grimm!
I don't think the originals are as gruesome as everyone says they are, but they are way better than their Disneyfied descendants with Mary-Sue princesses and Happily Ever Afters.

But then, Disney has awesome music...

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces