Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
The Chronicles of Narnia:The Magician's Nephew By C.S Lewis Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uncle Andrew and Jadis:
  are both evil
  would make a cute couple
  will put a band together
  doesn't
View Results

Pumkyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:22 pm
i thought that all of the books are already movies. just really old ones.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:14 pm
Harbone
JewelintheLotus
The Magician's Nephew was my favorite. Still is I guess I read it a long time ago. I think I was ten or eleven. Harbone, I'm curious. What did you think of the Screwtape Letters? I've been curious about them, but I've never heard anyone talk about having read them.

Well, I've read the Screwtape Letters, personally I like them and I think they're a pretty easy read - easier than Narnia, in some cases. C. S. Lewis writes them in open-letter format. For those who aren't familiar with them, they're a series of letters from an older demon named Screwtape to his "nephew," Wormwood. Mostly, Screwtape is giving advice on how to tempt the mortal in Wormwood's "care" into doing cowardly things, such as ignoring his duties in wartime and things like that.

Ole Clive Staples throws in some of his usual digs against modern education, bureaucracies and certain cherished US forms of intellectualism, but I forgive him. The letters are really quite funny and poor Wormwood seems to get the worst of it from beginning to end.

(You never hear Wormwood's side of the story, only his uncle Screwtape's responses in letter form.)

Awesome! That sounds really cool. I was under the impression the letters were written fom Satan's veiwpoint for some reason...the way people can misconstrue fact these days. Anyway thanks a lot I'll definately be reading those soon. I have to finish Wicked first though.  

JewelintheLotus

haelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:40 pm
hey, i loved the whole series... i have it all put together in one big book, and i like each indevidual story!!

deffinately read it, time well spent !! ^.^  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:26 am
i liked the series a lot. not my absolute favorite (that's a toss up between maximum ride, artemis fowl and lord of the rings....) but really good. i liked all of them really, except the first two.....  

miniunfortunado

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:21 pm
miniunfortunado
i liked the series a lot. not my absolute favorite (that's a toss up between maximum ride, artemis fowl and lord of the rings....) but really good. i liked all of them really, except the first two.....

Given the varying numbers the different books are given I have to ask--which first two?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:21 pm
Is the best book of the series. Much better than the lion, whitch, wardrobe. I don't see why they made that movie first! It's really dumb even though it was the first book of the series! smile  

whatfrenchhorn

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:56 pm
Pumkyn

Yes, BBC made some low-budget films out of them a while back. They are--ok, I guess.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:55 pm
It is such a shame......I have not touched my Chronicles of Narnia books for a while. My favorite books are Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Last Battle. In all of these books, the characters find themselves in a dire situation, and something totally magical and beautiful happens to help them out. For example, in The Last Battle, when King Tirian and the good creatures of Narnia fought against the evil creatures of Narnia and the Calormenes, and were about to lose, Polly, Digory, Lucy, Peter, Eustace, Edmund, and Jill arrived and chased them all away. Then they took them to Aslan's land. Is that not magical? whee  

islanzadidrottning

JRay18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:18 pm
Pumkyn
They have, just really the reallY crappy BBC series, the WORST movies I've ever seen. I really like Narnia. it can't compare to LotR, but it's still cool. My favorite is The Horse and His Boy, I also like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and Dawn Treader, those are the best, hands down.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:51 am
I thought it was a good book. Loved the series. My favorite book in the series, however, was deffinatly Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  

Super Sexy Goldfish

koolbloo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:10 pm
I would say the series was very good. I thoughly enjoyed it. The only one I just had to put down was the last one. That book was making me sick. I hated it. I couldn't finish the whole thing so I don't know how it ended but ...*shudder* I couldn't finish it. I really liked The voyage of the Dawn Treader and also the first one.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:50 pm
I adore this series. My favorite books are The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Last Battle. I love how everything comes to a close.....it's so.....happy yet sad at the same time. Listen to the radio dramas by Focus on the Family.......AMAZING! And I can't wait for Prince Caspian to come out, that's the next movie!  

Mara Jade Immortal

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:50 pm
Yes, the radio dramas are pretty good.

And The Last Battle ends well (Except for Susan; I can never quite forgive Lewis for that*), but it can be very hard to read in the middle there--quite heartbreaking. I always cry when the bear dies.

*My dad always left that bit out & gave some of Lucy's lines to Susan; it was years before I learned about the end Lewis had written. I like to think he (Lewis) would have written a different ending for her after he met Joy.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:20 am
lavenvi05
I just started on the second book. The movie was so awsome! I have it on dvd!! heart

Hmmmm, I'm not too sure the movie was that good. rolleyes  

Lady0Nova

chessiejo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:25 pm
nobody has mentioned The Silver Chair, so i will.

[some spoilers]

the idea that you can have inspiration and guidance but let it all go vague and confused seems very true to life, to me.

Puddleglum was a riot, and there were many different adventures.

the underground world was fascinating, he has such an imagination !

and when the green snake witch tries to convince them (through the reasoning of reductionist materialism!) that waht they have known and loved is only a wish-dream, puddleglum has the best line of the series when he says "even if it's a dream, it beats your reality all cold!"

and then he stomps out the magical fire barefooted and burns himself.

as far as the Last Battle, it's an accurate vision of the way we delude ourselves with cheap grace.

he takes pains to be fair, and show that the dwareves were free to choose between a stable or a feast; their choice was free and uncoerced.

and the young southron noble finds that the good he did in Tash's name was accpted by Aslan, no problem!

everyone takes the door they chose, no one is forced or actually punished; they do what they see is consistent with their lives.

the final vision is ecstatic, going into a world that gets larger the further you enter, so that the heart is far greater than the husk.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff