How/When did you get into ska? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PnkSktchr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:27 pm
My dad got me into Ska music.

He would always play Reel Big Fish and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones CDs while doing the dishes. I would hear it so much, now I know most lyrics and can recognize almost any RBF song...

He even took me to my first Ska show!!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:52 am
Well, I was browsing through some flash animations on Albinoblacksheep a few years ago. That's when I found Modest Poser's Less Than Jake worms thing. I liked the sound, even though it was a lot faster, and I found more LTJ stuff, then slowly got into tons of other ska.  

Elrindor

Shirtless Smoker

6,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Voter 100

hunter777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:58 pm
my fiend and i went to a concert, he knew the band, i didn't i liked em and that's how, they're still my favorite and still local.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:03 pm

My brother, the most coolest person on earth got into ska. I was rather indifferent at the time. But my friend was like do you know the song that goes
"When they come for me I'll be sitting my desk with a gun in my hand in a bullet proof vest?" and I was all "Noooo" We ended up going to a Catch 22 concert a few months later. My first show.
Yep.

dietJESUS

gettin_edgy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:01 am
I had read a book by Meg Cabot--All American Girl--in sixth grade, and a ton of ska bands were mentioned, Less Than Jake being one of them. So in seventh grade, when I was 12, I was in the CD store and saw Anthem. So I listened to a bit of it, loved it, and bought it. A few months later I got Pezcore as a Christmas gift, and that's when I really got into ska.

Looking back now, that book had its ska facts all wrong, and it's pretty funny. But I still love it because it's the reason I found ska, so it's all good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:11 pm
Well I started getting into it from my friend Alex when i was a freshman. As soon as I heard Babylove, I new that ska was the perfect music that represented me and who I was. I listened to reggae/ska first. Then I met my best friend Trevor and he helped me really get into the new wave ska. It may sound like i just got into it through friends but you have to admit thats how people usually do find their right music.  

eUAjwe4K

eUAjwe4K

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:15 pm
PnkSktchr
My dad got me into Ska music.

He would always play Reel Big Fish and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones CDs while doing the dishes. I would hear it so much, now I know most lyrics and can recognize almost any RBF song...

He even took me to my first Ska show!!
Wow I really wish my family got me into it. I would be getting along with them so much better.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:48 pm
I got into ska about a year or so ago. Started small with stuff like the Toasters and Reel Big Fish. I find it humerous to how my freinds thought Flogging Molly is still Ska... Cuz I guess folk and ska have alot in common.

I lol'd  

evilbrainbabies

xskamuffin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:29 pm
Same with me. My brother had some ska albums and I elaborated on it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:47 pm
My friend Adam introduced me to The Aquabats in 6th grade. I would always give him a ride home and we were listening to somethin on the radio and he said hey have you heard of the Aquabats? I said no and he told me about them. I listened more and got into more ska stuff. 3nodding  

Frankenska

Le Bete Noire Cris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:20 pm
My ex showed me The Aquabats. He taught me how to skank and everything. It was pretty cool. Now I look for ska shows and good bands..  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:10 pm
i got into goldfinger, which got me into a lil ska, whihc led me to go check out a catch 22 concert, and then i was hooked.  

daisythereaper666

that1guy90

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:58 pm
I first got into ska a few months ago.
My friend Garrett had just started listening to ska too and he asked if I wanted to go to a concert with him.
We saw The Giant Steps at their reunion, and I believe last, show on dec 22.
Now we have a ska band together. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:19 pm
For me it was a few years back it was like the first day of this music class and as an introduction activity we had to give a little presentation of our favorite band and this one kid did a presentation on various ska artists and I liked the sound.  

JFMS222

Left Handed Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:37 pm
One of my friends introduced me to Reel Big Fish and No Doubt in a mixed cd. ((we exchanged mixed cds)) I was like "Aw man! They rock!" So she gave me the full cd of Reel Big Fish. Then I started looking for more ska! I found a lot of the more popular bands, and then I came here and found some good ska! 4laugh  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff